Golestand

O

old.Outlaw

For those that released after the second slaying attempt, what did u think we were going to just show up slash him a couple of times with our knifes, pick up the loot and carry on with our business. I feel that after the first go, we had serious potential to get him.

I admit I gathered all albions to the lair with out really having a tactic to kill him, I was hoping that as we had most high lvl albions there, we could come up with a plan between us.

As for the short notice point, this is a game, and we all want to see the dragon dead. What is the point of waiting and booking dates in 2/3/4 weeks time?? Last time we tried the arranged raid we had 300 ppl there, 200 of them grey to me, he doesn't show up, then we don't even plan another raid for weeks ??? Incedentally how were we going to kill him that night, surely we could have adopted the same technique last night??

But on the whole thanks for coming all, the only way we will get him is if we show in numbers.

I have a few suggestions for next time:
1) This weekend Saturday/Sunday afternoon, prime time gaming time, I propose we try him again.
2) When all ppl arrive, all tanks disband and let Khalen and Sergon sort out tank groups. All clerics disband and let Herbal sort our rezzing crews. All other classes in balanced teams.
3) The key to our success here is to confuse some Stonelords, so we wait for some to show b4 we attack him. Iskander, Stt, Tinaydien u sole responsibility is to do this confusing.
4) Then we split into 2 armies, with the tank groups split into each army. Army 1 attacks, dies, theurgist (in balances teams but standing together), then send beasts, Earthpets mainly to avoid AEs, we send them in a balanced stream not all at once. Meanwhile clerics res closely followed the second army.
5) I do not see the point of splitting in different angles because the dragon just hits u with his tail, flames, so makes no difference. Plus if we are all attacking form the same angle the rezzing should be much easier.
6) Once we are in all spread out and surround him, do not stand together. and get as close as possible to avoid the flames.
7) the 1st army comes back in @ full HP b4 res sickness wears off, and the process continues. We do not give up attacking in 2 army waves. If it goes pear shaped we res thedead and start again b4 his HP regenerates.
8) Let the minstrels be split out, let there not be a group with more than one Theurgist and minstrel. Fire spells do not work on him, so use ice. And let all teams be 8 man size and not split.
9) Follow orders, don't walk around, so that we have to chase you, spamming yells.
10) BE patient.

I seriously feel that we have learnt a few things on this raid, so it was not a wasted attempt :))

Please no one flame me now, give this some serious thaught and let's do this :))

N

Ninjastyle

just make sure that next time all the tanks have earth buff, i know no one in my group did and that's the only melee damage dealer against the dragon i suppose

O

old.Zoyster

We tried splitting the army yesterday and wot I noticed is that...

A stream of tanks didnt hurt Golestand at all.

The technique should be 2 armies of 70 ish tanks....3 armies would guarantee his death.:clap:

1. Sorcereros....confuse Giants / Golestand.

2. Thuergist Send in beasts......to absorb as much of Golestands mana .

3. Then the first tank army goes in. BUT hit at the same time with the combined effects of 70 swords :) THATS WOT HIT GOLESTAND FOR 30% HP...

4. Rezzers do their thing. while..

5. The next tank army goes in ...again simultaneously find his weak spot...and slash/thrust/crush :)

6. Rez & third army goes in...

7. meanwhile all other mages keep away...untill the tanks get stuck in...and ICE his ass!!

Good job everyone.

N

Ninjastyle

another suggestion, this HAS to be planned in advance, not everyone can get his halflvl/lvl within a few hours of notice...

if ppl can prepare then dieing over and over again wouldnt be so bad, hell we could try all night dieing

O

old.LandShark

Question: how sure are we that he has a finite mana pool with which to launch AEs?

T

tilde

Last night was a disaster, totally unorganised etc etc ;) I think the stonelords did most the damage first time we hit him.

O

old.Wildfire

I was encouraged last night after taking him down by about 1/3 on the first attempt, things were looking good (even though I'd foolishly gone to dartmoor with 8.7 bubbles and ended up on 8.0). However, after the second attempt I looked around and started seeing large numbers of gravestones. By the time the third attempt began I think it was clear to everyone remaining that we no longer had sufficient numbers to take him out.

This disappointed me a lot - with the plan that we'd come up with by the end, I think it's a real shame to be let down by deserters - a trait found only too often in our realm I fear.

My only criticism of the event was that there was insufficient notice given to players in advance. My guild (Knights who say Ni) isn't the most powerful of guilds, not part of the real-wide alliance, but we have about a dozen 40+ players who are always happy to contribute to events. I will say thanks at this point to Treniel / Matrix without whom I wouldn't have known about the raid at all.

B

Bleri McThrust

Well Im happy to try anyones tactics.

I would just like to be there to see him go down. Unfirtunately wasnt in game yesterday evening or Saturday evening :(.

But if youre trying again Sunday count me in.

H

Herbal Remedy

Originally posted by LandShark
Question: how sure are we that he has a finite mana pool with which to launch AEs?
comments on us boards and also after the 1st 2 tries he didnt nuke so much kinda ran out of gas.
ps woot 14 dmg :) and i have no styles blocked him 3 times next time golstand is mine

O

old.Outlaw

Tilde thanks for your very posetive and encouraging reply.

and btw the stonelord lord thing doing the damage, that's the whole idea;)

As for those moaning about warning and planning, this is a real time 24/7 game, if u all want to hang around w8ing for weeks for someone to make a mere suggestion and then w8 more weeks to see it happen, go buy a chess board or something.

I've got an idea Let's all log into DAOC now and float between our alts, ganking greys in Yggdra (because u can't handle Emain!), and nagging all the high LVLs if we can join their teams.

Meanwhile, I'll be checking the Dragons Lair for weaknesses!

T

tilde

Outlaw, it was a disaster- 10ppl+ screaming diffirent proposals constantly <- thats what made it a disaster
i aint flaming u, im just tellin u that we need organisation and a leader next time ;)

Was great fun tho, those AE-nukes are very very lethal ^^

O

old.MallusTheGimp

I would like to organise a raid for the 29th of June (saturday). Will msg all guild leaders ingame for details in a week or two but just plan on getting your lvl before then ;) .

Now for the tactics......

1) Split the army into 4 balanced teams with all clerics in groups together with a minstrel (organised before raid) and all tanks solo.
2) All tanks disband and attack simultaneously from all 4 sides while all casters stay at the entrances.
3) All tanks use the slowest weapon available to them and run from corner to corner (where the dragon elder guards normally spawn) hitting the dragon once as they pass then back again and repeat.
4) As outlaw said, all sorc's MUST confuse the lair guards as they spawn, while all wizzies simply EB the newly rezzed.

I think the the tanks running from corner to corner will have the same effect as attacking in waves as a lot of the tanks will always be out of aoe range so some will always survive. Running from corner to corner will also put them in easy rezzing range for all the clerics at the entrances. The key to killing the dragon is getting away from that damn aoe so all ideas and thoughts welcome
:)

O

old.Outlaw

Yeah I have a suggestion:

Do we really have to wait a whole 2 weeks??

O

old.¥ØÐÄ

Originally posted by Outlaw
Yeah I have a suggestion:

Do we really have to wait a whole 2 weeks??

Whats the rush ?

It is better ot organise a dragon raid properly instead of rushing it together in a cple of hrs .

also rushing to kill dragon will give a lot mroe people reason to quit .. cos they have hit lvl 50 . got crap loads of rps, killed everybody they hate from hib/mid now they killed the dragon there aint nothing for em left to do so they leave..

patience is a virtue and good thingscome to those who wait .

A

Aurelius A

Just a bit in regards to the confusing of the stonelords by the sorcs which i think is definately a good idea and i posted it in the forum last time when mallus organised the raid,

I was there trying to do this on the last raid and there was 2 problems ..1 there wasnt enough of em and 2 when a confuse did stick half the time tanks killed it.

what i would propose is that before anything we send in some stonelords , the way to do this is get a small team of tanks .clerics etc and the high sorcs at the south entrance to dragons lair (has to be south entrance as confuse makes them warp north and if they warp directly past dragon much higher chance of them aggroing him)

If the tanks pull the lords from the burnt forest in the east and lead em over , then all the sorcs can whack em with confuse to send em over golestandt.
this way we can ensure a nice steady stream of lords to aggro him..which will be much better then just trying to get a few elders onto him.

i did pm this idea to stt at last raid so she may have passed it over for discussion already.

A

Aurelius A

and may be a idea to get as many sorcs as possible as a few deaths will happen no doubt to us while confusing.
theres STT, Tinydien ,Veeshan,Aurelius,spandau,Iskander,Tinan.Riwen and there just the ones i can think of at 40+ offhand so we have quite a lot to chose from.

E

--Eraser--

just a thought:

i think we have most casualties while running towards golestandt and trying to get close to fight and avoid his AE-fire.

what about giving him a "lure" ?
a few brave people (maybe lesser then 5 are enough), can be lowbies or useless wizzies like me :p , get his attention and when he starts firing on them the rest can run immediately and reach his belly maybe without loosing too much.
dragon_tactic.jpg

what do you think about that?

O

old.Ramas

Originally posted by LandShark

My understanding from US message boards was always that the Dragons breath was set up such that it did not have a mana limit - but whether he used it was dependent on how you attack him (I believe more people attacking from more range = more use of AoE).

But they were guessing just as much as we are.

------------

Arindra Ramas - lvl 43 Cleric

S

Sharp Thing

about the AE, what if everyone stands really close (xcept ressers) so that he wil just eat ya'll instead of starting to AE te casters nuking it, taking donw any ressers/waves with him?

E

--Eraser--

Originally posted by Sharp Thing
about the AE, what if everyone stands really close (xcept ressers) so that he wil just eat ya'll instead of starting to AE te casters nuking it, taking donw any ressers/waves with him?

thats what i mean :clap:

think i read it on a us forum: the savest place is under his belly...

O

old.Wildfire

OK one thing I don't think has been brought up on these forums before is - what's stopping everyone from standing directly underneath him? Tanks, casters, the whole lot. I may just be being obtuse but from what I've read here that would alleviate any problems involving the AE attacks... people would just need to stay on their toes and stay underneath him if he moves?

T

Treniel

Originally posted by Sharp Thing

he AEs everybody under him also as we saw on 1st attempt

O

old.Ramas

Big E wrote:
what about giving him a "lure" ?

Problem with this plan is that no-one is going to be able to hold Golenstadt's attention for more than a couple of seconds before they end up dead. And practically the first indication that the decoy had the Dragon's attention would be the death of the decoy group (it's hard to see them surviving the first hit), that is of course also the very moment when an attack becomes unsafe as the Dragon's aggro list would be clear again. We need a decoy that is closer to the Dragon's level. ie. the granite giants. that's where Mallus and Outlaw have it right...

Mallus and Outlaw discussed...
4) As outlaw said, all sorc's MUST confuse the lair guards as they spawn

Your intended timing (29th June) may well mean v1.48 has gone live. The patch contains a rework of the Minstrel charm spells, which seems to basically mean they can charm higher level mobs for shorter periods.

That would sound ideal for a dragon raid - since the granite giants won't last long against the Dragon anyway, the risk of a giant breaking charm is reduced significantly.

This would also add to our rather small stock of high level Sorcs for the purposes of getting other mobs to aggro the dragon.

Have fun,

Arindra Ramas - lvl 43 Cleric

K

Khalen

The first Zerg was the best when the dragon was on patrol and we were all in the lair near the walls. The dragon only had 2 people when it came back into the lair. But the problem is that if all tanks are below his belly those ressers etc. have a hard time to ress us. But we need more tanks to make bigger assault groups because we lacked enough tanks and minstrels as well to power the support groups.

E

--Eraser--

yes the first attack was the best...
i have a question about the "patrol" the dragon i making:

when he finishes this walk, i didnt saw him come back to the lair, but just pop up on his little hill in the center.
is this right or did i just miss his walk back to the middle?

if he really kind of "spawns" there, this would really the best chance to get in position for all.

J

Javai

Have to reiterate

Its all very wel for level 50's to say we should sit around dying over and voer but for people in a situation close to level or mini then that is not acceptable.

When the first raid was treid we had a few days warning and those of us in that position work damned hard to ensure we got minis and levels in time (in fact it was one of the most cooperative days on Albions with every pitching in to ensure people got levels before the raid.

Just because its a 24/7 game doesn't mean you can't give people warning. Personally I got 3 hours warning of the riad and had just got mini my partner on the other hand was at work and therefore had no warning and was 1 bubble short of mini. We hoped there was a decent strategy pre-planned and came along when we discovered it was a die and rez repeatedly strategy taht didn't look like working we didn't feel it was worth him sacrificing several hours xp'ing for.

Its not like a RvR raid the dragon doesn't read these boards as far as I know so we can have plenty of warning and strategies worked out in advance :)

W

-Wedge-

Aye, I have to agree with Javai on this... I was 1.4 (I think) from ding :rolleyes: when I left, I was 1.8 from ding...

Now I stayed for 3 tries, each time the dragon fully regened... And even I made my conclusions that even though I'd like to see the dragon dead, it was costing me a tad too much XP... (Although I liked the idea of tank 'waves')

As for planning, I think we should have a couple of plans, I think the raid should be mentioned a few days in advance, and we need to figure out a way to keep everyone informed about plans... A chatgroup with 30 ppl is not an effecient way to keep 100+ ppl informed about plans etc...

You notice a lot of 'I think's in the previous sentences, because their my thoughts, so dont flame ;)

But, as with all raids, communication is the MOST important problem we need to solve... A leader is nothing without communication, a /yell does nothing in a big army and one chatgroup is too limited (only 30 ppl get in)...

The only reason why small raids are more successfull is communication, everyone has their task, everyone knows (and can hear) the leader...

Just my 2 cents

E

--Eraser--

i agree....damn this 30 ppls limitation in the chat groups...
a solution would be 8 ppl who are in charge together in a leading party, each of them leading a chatgroup...

8 x 30 = 240 should be enough to get all in one of them.

so the 8 leaders talk and make their strategy and then tell their chatgroup what they should do...

when we do it this way we already have divided the army in sections to do different things. we could sort the different classes with them.

f.e. all tanks in two or three chatgroups (depends how much we have of course), clerics also get one, casters etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom