Going to Norway

Yer as the title says, I'm going to Stavanger at the beginning of August with some mates etc. Just wondering if there's any places that really need to be checked out?

We're only going to have about 26 hours in Stavanger, then we're back on the boat home, but that should be enough time for a good gander about. Right?

Also, am I right in thinking it's about £5-10 for a pint over there!?

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
Yer as the title says, I'm going to Stavanger at the beginning of August with some mates etc. Just wondering if there's any places that really need to be checked out?

We're only going to have about 26 hours in Stavanger, then we're back on the boat home, but that should be enough time for a good gander about. Right?

Bah, Stavanger sucks! If you had better time I'd recommend you to visit Preikestolen (in the proximity of Stavanger, but I'd imagine it would require a day at least)

5 - 10£ sounds a bit over the top, probably around 4 - 7 or so, but way high anyways.

Marc

FH is my second home
was just gonna say, you will need a lot of money if you are going to Norway :D

Glacier

Fledgling Freddie

Haha, stavanger, don't think theres much to see there. Bring cash, this country is expensive ><

Zenith

Part of the furniture
Norway is great if you have a longer holliday, enough to check out the amazing nature up north... Why would you want to spend 26 in Stavenger tho?! Go to denmark, way cheaper :)

Norway is great if you have a longer holliday, enough to check out the amazing nature up north... Why would you want to spend 26 in Stavenger tho?! Go to denmark, way cheaper :)

Dunno just fancied going through the Fjords etc, they look sexy. Since it's just us (3x 17 year olds and an 18 year old) our budget couldn't really cover an expensive long holiday or anything.

And what's with people saying "go Denmark it rox.com!", ain't the only thing there fields, windmills and cottages? :p

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
Prolly have like £100~ spending moneys. That should be enough for 24 hours right? :p

More like 2,4 hours :<

Price level is fairly high, especially alcohol, cloths, restaurants etc. Most expensive country in Scandinavia for sure, except Iceland perhaps. If you're after a good night out (don't know how nightlife is in Stavanger though) the amount of money you'll have to spend is insane, a pint out probably costs around 5£, drinks/various shots containing liquor is like 7£+, depends on where you go though, maybe some places have a more sane price on ze beer. Taxi back home/whatever = more money than you've got left anyways :D.

Prices on most things are high enough to not bother shopping also I'd say.

More like 2,4 hours :<

Price level is fairly high, especially alcohol, cloths, restaurants etc. Most expensive country in Scandinavia for sure, except Iceland perhaps. If you're after a good night out (don't know how nightlife is in Stavanger though) the amount of money you'll have to spend is insane, a pint out probably costs around 5£, drinks/various shots containing liquor is like 7£+, depends on where you go though, maybe some places have a more sane price on ze beer. Taxi back home/whatever = more money than you've got left anyways :D.

Prices on most things are high enough to not bother shopping also I'd say.

Doubt we'd be spending much anyway. Chances are we'd spend it only on food and drink. Might get some kind of memorabilia from the place, but still, we'll have our digi cams etc for that stuff if the stuff really is as bad as people say. ^^

Etinay

Fledgling Freddie
well, if you're 17 and one 18, i do hope you look older cause getting in can be quite hard :) Stavanger is a lovely city, expensive yes - but thats norways trademark :(

if you want to see nature, try to get a bit out of down town, and maybe take a bus or a boat, but its really nice in stavanger no matter where you are so just enjoy! and the 18 year old should buy you lots of beer before you go out, and dont go out to late, harder to get in ;)

and oohh, might have a few tips: Stavanger-Web, Your Port to Stavanger, Norway

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
Norway is great if you have a longer holliday, enough to check out the amazing nature up north...
Couple of questions...

Wild camping is legal in norway? (ie just pitching tent in the countryside without asking the landowners permission - within certain guidelines ofc).

Where would be good place to go do that and get their via public transport, mebbe go off walkign 25km or so aday?

Are mosquitoes/midges/biting insects/wtf you call them there, a big problem in summer?

Flights to scandanavia always seem cheap from the UK, via Ryanair etc. Prolly cos noone wants to go holiday there with the prices (and budget flights to eastern europe always booked up). Never been there, thinking might make good camping hols to offset some of the expense.

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
Otherthing, overheard two irish guys in the pub moaning about the recent craze of unemployed norwegians coming to dublin for cheap hols. Norwiegians money worth so much it's cheap for them despite it being an expensive city for anyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom