Goa

P

pudzy

After all the crap recently with the sup's page people have been further wondering why we had to pay more, infact we pay same as the US but we dont even have half as decent servers.

What's everyones honest opinions?

B

Belsameth

I don't really mind paying, nor do I particulary mind the pay raise.
I have a lot of fun with it, so that's worth the few meager euro's each months.

I agree GOA is making quite a mistake with the subscription pages, but overall I'm quite happy with the service they provide, and I find all these 'Lets nail GOA to a cross and burn them' threads at least a little over reacted.

F

Freia

Are you people drunk?

GOA:s service is NOT acceptable.

The sub pages have been down for 4 days. Even if i wanted to renew they DO NOT LET ME. I cannot play because GOA does not care about their customers. They dont care, they have never cared and they will never care about us. They get their money anyway, sooner or later, so why should they care?

Let's face it, they dont deserve our money. If all my friends moved along with me I would be gone for US right NOW. I would not mind losing 2.6M rp and 99 levels on zerk and healer as long as I could get rid of goa once and for all.

They STINK. And i sure hope they are reading this.

H

Hufner

Actually, people have had subs problems for more than four days.
Still, I'm not drunk, and I don't think GOA stinks.
They ought to get their arses in gear to fix the subs pages though :)

A

Ardrias_Mid

Thought you'd have learned after a year and a half that they arent ever going to improve. Just quit instead, that'll make them notice :)

B

Belsameth

Originally posted by Freia
Are you people drunk?

The sub pages have been down for 4 days. Even if i wanted to renew they DO NOT LET ME. I cannot play because GOA does not care about their customers. They dont care, they have never cared and they will never care about us. They get their money anyway, sooner or later, so why should they care?

Let's face it, they dont deserve our money. If all my friends moved along with me I would be gone for US right NOW. I would not mind losing 2.6M rp and 99 levels on zerk and healer as long as I could get rid of goa once and for all.

no, I'm not actually. I don't start to drink heavily before noon.
besides that, I didn't claim GOA is perfect, they're just not as bad as some of the others out there. in the course of the game we've had fairly little problems, and even less downtime, but some of you seem to forget that because they can't get their daily fix

oh, and auto renew 4tehwin :)

R

red_dog

People whine to much about GOA

Too true Khrom, which is why we refer to this board as Barry'sWhine and I have never felt the need to post on it before. But you've got to admit that GOA's general showing on this matter, irrespective of whether or not it's a French Bank Holiday, is pretty poor. Even if the problem is one with the folk who deal with their credit card transactions, you would have thought that at the very least they would have provided a bit more information about the problem than that contained on the Friday news, which as someone else has already rightly pointed out over on the general discussion does not specifically relate to the subs page being down full stop.

Anyway, there you go. My first and probably only post on this board and it's a moan. A cathartic experience for me, I'm sure, but it won't help in the long run...

And now, of course, the subs screen is back up but many thousands are, lemming-like, trying to use them and no-one can get on. Ho hum....

O

old.Spug

I feel for all you people who whine about GOA's service... just thank your lucky star's you never played UO, where rolebacks happened on a monthly basis, and servers often vanished for days at a time...

oh woe is me, the subs page is down... kill all GOA employees...

:p

S

snotfor

So I reckon that cuz another games subscription stinks, and this one does alittle less we should be happy??
What an argument...Fact is 1 day even 2 days is acceptable, all can have technical problems... 4 days aint acceptable.
However be4 u ditch em, let em explain emselves when its fixed, and if u dont like that explanation then u can ditch em.

S

Sarum TheBlack

In the age of "the customer is always right" it's easy to feel that companies exist solely to supply you with your every whim and desire. That any problem, no matter how small, and how few there are, is unacceptable, and someone owes you something for the incontinence you've suffered due to not being able to do exactly what you want when you wanted to do it.

The customer is not always right. Some of them are selfish and ignorant, and most of them are totally unaware of the complexity and difficulty of what is going on. I'm sorry, but "We're customers! We deserve better!" just doesn't wash with me. The only reason for "the customer is always right" is that companies want to keep your business (or rather your cash.. if they could take that and not give you a service, they would), impeccable service isn't a god given right. If you can't, or won't, go elsewhere with your business, then there is no requirement for them to do anything. Everyone dutifully paying a company, and then complaining to their mates will never change the way the company operates. Complain with your wallet if you want to complain.

GOA could be doing a whole lot worse without actually breaking any contracts. They could even terminate Euro DAoC entirely. Today. And they wouldn't owe you anything but your prepaid subs. They could take the servers down for several days just because they felt like it.. you sign a TOS every time you play the game that accepts that. They could decide to pick on you and terminate your account for no real reason, you've also agreed to that. They are in no way obliged to provide weekly news posts, the GOA developed quests and campaign. Server downtime is minimal, and there is a customer service system that does, despite the horror stories and general community feeling, generally resolve problems, and reasonably quickly.

The subs issue is no doubt frustrating. But it's probably hurting GOA a whole lot more than it's hurting you. By the looks of the Friday news, this is at least partly beyond GOA's control, since some of the background processes in the subs pages are run by BiBit.

N

-Nxs-

There is compertition out there, if you are unhappy with GOA then go pay your money to Mythic instead.

Personaly I have no gripes with GOA, but its plain to see that there are some major problems here.

O

old.Spug

No, I'm simply saying that there's worse service out there, sure, GOA have a problem at the moment, but how often are problems solved by people whining on a forum?

R

red_dog

How often are problems solved by people whining on a forum?

True Spug, but then without the moaning and the whining, surely Barry'sWhine would curl up and die? [wink]

The customer is not always right. Some of them are selfish and ignorant, and most of them are totally unaware of the complexity and difficulty of what is going on.

Sarum, greetings! Fancy coming back across the Pennines for some beer? Hell, I'm (unwittingly) saving £8 per month by not being able to renew my sub, so there's a couple of pints right there! Anyway, what you say is also true, but in the land of the blind, the one-eyed message board is king. Perhaps a bit more info from GOA re the situation might have helped, because then at least folk might have known that something was going on and hopefully being sorted out. But having said that, people would still be complaining and calling for an invasion of France etc etc, given the constituency of those playing the game. And unfortunately it's forums like this that have to fulfill the role of being the place where complaints are made. Just doesn't make for great reading...

P.S. Really must stop posting on this board. It's just for once something being discussed here is actually affecting me...

S

Sarum TheBlack

It's too late now Red_Dog, you've been sucked in and corrupted by BW (well, technically Game.net now, but that doesn't allow for almost amusing BarrysWhine type jokes).

I'm not saying GOA shouldn't provide a good service. Or that the subs issues aren't annoying to those affected... just (and it's not just this forum) I'm getting a little fed up with people demanding things in a pompus "I'm a CUSTOMER! and I have the RIGHT!" manner, that they don't actually have any rights to at all.

R

red_dog

Indeed they don't have any rights, Sarum me old mucker, especially when you factor in that SW:G aside, this is the game most people want to play. Mythic/GOA have us all over a barrel, because up until the point an individual decides that they are bored of DAoC, they will keep coming back time and again. Sure, you could play on the US servers, but in the end you're still playing, and as long as you do that, you realise that you can't really do anything about any of the problems that might come up with regard to the game because in the end you are still feeding the creature that you hate.

Actually, perhaps this is all a vast experiment on those l33t teen boyz who make up the majority of players on this game, preparing them for real life, because when they get there they will realise that whatever choices they make, the market is going to get them in the end, and they will still have to play the game! Oh, and don't get me started on the myth of democracy....

A

ashitaka

Originally posted by Freia
Are you people drunk?

Oh the hormons.

S

Sarum TheBlack

Originally posted by red_dog
Indeed they don't have any rights, Sarum me old mucker, especially when you factor in that SW:G aside, this is the game most people want to play. Mythic/GOA have us all over a barrel, because up until the point an individual decides that they are bored of DAoC, they will keep coming back time and again. Sure, you could play on the US servers, but in the end you're still playing, and as long as you do that, you realise that you can't really do anything about any of the problems that might come up with regard to the game because in the end you are still feeding the creature that you hate.

Actually, perhaps this is all a vast experiment on those l33t teen boyz who make up the majority of players on this game, preparing them for real life, because when they get there they will realise that whatever choices they make, the market is going to get them in the end, and they will still have to play the game! Oh, and don't get me started on the myth of democracy....

Resistance is futile, the individual is nothing, only as a many are we strong. The Party is eternal, long live Big Brother!

R

red_dog

See, already the lesson is being learned!
:great: :clap:

J

Jonaldo

Persistance is fertile, you will be facilitated.

S

Sandariel ^^

UPDATE 4 :15pm BST :
Subscription pages are back up but we may have more downtime in the coming days. We are working with our partner in charge of the billing process to find a solution to this recurring issue.

Now stop whining and renew before it's down again ;)

F

Falcon

Originally posted by old.Spug
I feel for all you people who whine about GOA's service... just thank your lucky star's you never played UO, where rolebacks happened on a monthly basis, and servers often vanished for days at a time...

oh woe is me, the subs page is down... kill all GOA employees...

:p
Er, which shard did you play because it sure as hell wasn't one of the official ones. The only annoying thing about UO was the scheduled nightly downtime (at 6am for an hour cos I was up then when I was a student :p) and the lag when you had a few hundred people in the area. I never saw their subs page down and their IN GAME support was damn good even if you didn't get the answer you hoped for at least it was there and the policy consistent. Also, at least OSI banned cheaters...

T

tris-

moan moan moan, if you dont like the GAME stop playing it, why is that so hard? if you like the game then who gives a fuck what GOA are doing, are you still having fun? if not then quit, its not like it will be the end of the world when you stop playing is it.

T

The Real Redi

I can't understand, and i'd LOVE a GoA/Mythic employee to explain it to me, is why when half of the realm on many, many forums, are sighing deeply with the staleness of the "end game" (RvR) they (being Mythic, i would assume) are rushing to bring out cosmetic and, ultimately attention grabbing, titles and add-ons, such as ToA and Foundations and putting back this fabled RvR expansion/patch until autumn '04 for the yanks, and probably early winter '04 for us.

The apathy is more than evident, and is growing daily leading to those who were present in the realm from early on, and have been instrumental in the progression of these realms (and the ones who have spent more than most on subs), leaving out of frustration, knowing that what they need has been waved in front of them, then snatched away - why we didnt get an email reading just "Psyche!" i will never understand.

On another note, if i was Mythic and i saw the mess our chronicles/XML are in, the apparent lack of action towards hackers/cheaters/radar users/account traders (All of which we agree to not do everysingle time we log in ), the lack of in game support, the slowly declining Rightnow (which i used to praise, as it was precise and quick)... I would start to question whether GoA was actually capable of carrying a service like this.

Just my humbles though, so ignore me if you like... my boss does, so feel free ;)

S

snoz

My opinion is the same it was a year ago.

What a shame that GOa produce the game in europe.

They have 0 passion for the game. They take months too long to get patches out. I hate way English servers have to wait for stupid translations when we dont even need a translation. Although this would be acceptable if it did not take them SOO fecking long to do it ... Far too long.

If only someone like BW had got DAOC :/

This is not a racist comment BTW but its a fact french internet companies are shit. Thats not a racist opinion ... I have many french friends and they always whine themselves about how retarded their internet companies are. They have possibly the worst routing to other countries in europe ... Holland/England would have been much better options imo

D

Demrog

Originally posted by Falcon
Er, which shard did you play because it sure as hell wasn't one of the official ones. The only annoying thing about UO was the scheduled nightly downtime (at 6am for an hour cos I was up then when I was a student :p) and the lag when you had a few hundred people in the area. I never saw their subs page down and their IN GAME support was damn good even if you didn't get the answer you hoped for at least it was there and the policy consistent. Also, at least OSI banned cheaters...

Wow where should I start here....?

OSI "Official" servers weren't like that?

Ok, lets go back to the creation of Europa (cant remember exactly when but its more than 5 years ago) and work forward.... Multiple roll-backs (sometimes weekly sometimes even daily - and occasionally you could go a month without a roll-back) until the new server and software was installed a mere 18 months/2 years ago (when i was still playing) and even then the sustem wasnt foolproof.

Europa was lag central for the majority of game play for the 4+ years I gave them my cash - unless you played when most sane people were sleeping that is....

In game support damn good? are you insane? The stock answer from any OSI employee was (and still is) "Sorry we cannot help you with that" and that was if they decided to answer you at all.

If I had a choce (and I do) I would give GOA my cash every time and leave OSI in the rut that they built themselves (which I do, thankfully).

The only thing I can agree with you about was that I don't think I ever saw their subs page down for this long, although their official website and forums were down quite regularly before the server upgrades...

Bottom line is that things could be much much worse than they are, it doesn't make things right of course but take a little perspective before you go off on one

T

The Real Redi

Originally posted by snoz
I hate way English servers have to wait for stupid translations when we dont even need a translation.

This bugs me sooo much - has America started speaking in tongues? Perhaps the game code was written in sanscrit? Well, seems we are all to stoopid to understand the loong words the americans use, so they take it away, translate it to French (GoA probably insists it is supplied to them in french), then they dig out the ol' French-German/German-French dictionary and literally transalte everyword.

They then give it to a chimp with a copy of a German-English/English-German dictionary, and we end up with what you see. Terrible grammar, spelling mistakes, plurals where things are singular and vice-versa... it's shameful, and yeah, i know its a lot to translate, but i could cope with the odd US spelling of a word.

The only person i feel sorry for is that chimp - he must get soo many paper cuts...

B

Belsameth

if they'd patch the english server at a different time, the french and german would be in an uproar AND swarm the english servers (nice prospect, eh? :) ) they'd also have to setup another patcher, which I can fully understand they don't..

D

Damon_D

Well had the game not been distrubited by " GOA we suck arse " or another piss poor french company..there would prob ONLY be english servers, what is this shit ????..if you cant understand english learn it or go play cards ffs ... You dont see danish , swedish , dutch or what ever peopel complain about there aint a server in there language ... I DEMAND A SERVER WHERE PEOPEL SPEAK JYSK AND I WANT IT NOW FFS !!!!!!!!!

B

Belsameth

I see you're able to be nice and rational about it, Damon :)

fact is, that not evey education system puts a lot of empathy on english (like the dutch one does) fact as well is that there are a LOT more french and german speaking people then there are dutch, or danish or whatever small country you prefer, making it comercially valid to translate it.
if you want patches the moment they're brought out, I suggest you move to the US servers. they're much better anyway, seeing how great Mythic is (what was it with 1.62? unable to hit anything above yellow? :p )

Users who are viewing this thread