GOA too harsh on emote spamming?

Are GOA too harsh suspending players for emote spamming?

• Yes - Let players /ignore instead

Votes: 154 57.0%
  • No - I'd rather see players suspended for emote spamming

Votes: 116 43.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Two recent bans for emote spamming include [thread=63603]Valgair[/thread] and [thread=169133]Gamah[/thread], both of whom got 3 days suspensions for using emotes on another player.

Considering the /ignore command can totally block out emotes from another player, should GOA take such action against their paying customers? If theres an ongoing problem with emote abuse, then surely GOA/Mythic should add rate limiting to emotes to prevent it happening in the first place? Alternatively, why not just disable emotes against enemy players?

RightNow requests reporting each emote abuse waste time/effort investigating and taking action, all for something so trivial, such time could go into detecting radar/bug abusers. Should GOA continue to suspend customers, or instruct them to /ignore them instead?

Melachi

Fledgling Freddie
definetly too harsh, its a bit of a joke tbh

I can see the whole idea behind banning for flooding though, imagine at a ML raid with 40+ people, and during the lotto someone spamming emotes messing it up.

But 3+ emotes on an enemy player = a 3 day suspension, rofl

Gamah

Banned
Well I thought it was silly before, but ofc I definatly think its silly now, hope whoever reported me is having his laughs :m00:

Afran

Part of the furniture
haha, pwned Gamah :D

On the topic though, it's definatly stupid to ban for emote spam, you can see why they'd do it though if you spammed to a certain extent -

Whoever reported them is a complete tard though xE

Salvion

One of Freddy's beloved
IF someone spams anything in excess (more then a couple of times) its justified imo, even more if its done on many occasions...maybe 3 strikes and u are out-thingy, nothing to even think that much about imo.

Dimmer

Fledgling Freddie
Emotes are for roleplay not spam, I had a chatlog for 20 min in CS and it was 400 lines with emotes on that time due to lots of people to spam it.

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
if you get bored of the emotes..... turn them off!

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Simple, stick in some code, if you spam a player more than 5 times you get a 10 men res sick, that'll stop it.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
ban them, like Requeil says

/laughing at someone once or twice is fine and part of the game interplay. Repeating the emote 72 times is excessive.

If people want to be so childish take away their toys for a day or three.

Tilda

I wonder if gm's can "put" rez ill on people?
I wonder if a better punishment (and perhaps slightly less harsh) would be to put an uncurable rez ill on all of their charachters for 3 days?

But yes, spamming of any sort should rightly be greated with a ban stick.
So fucking irritating when your trying to check chat logs or talk to someone etc and you cant read whats being printed as it shoots off the top of chat box cause of spam.

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
Tilda said:
So fucking irritating when your trying to check chat logs or talk to someone etc and you cant read whats being printed as it shoots off the top of chat box cause of spam.

/ignore or turn emote messages off?

nope, lets ban.

k.

Katzz

Fledgling Freddie
Imo for 5 emote spam get bann its very stupid but mostly i see idiots who spam (well not on me but i still see the spam) over 500 emotes in few mins. Those ppl have be banned.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Tilda said:
I wonder if gm's can "put" rez ill on people?
I wonder if a better punishment (and perhaps slightly less harsh) would be to put an uncurable rez ill on all of their charachters for 3 days?

Reminds me of the betrayal quest in EC2, being res sick for 3 days REAL TIME was a pain in the arse :) nice idea.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Katzz said:
Imo for 5 emote spam get bann its very stupid but mostly i see idiots who spam (well not on me but i still see the spam) over 500 emotes in few mins. Those ppl have be banned.

chretien said:
There's a thead about it here complete with GM comments.

Reading that its more than a cast of a few emotes.

[SS]Gamblor

Fledgling Freddie
Heta said:
I think roleplayers should be banned :(

You my dear Sir, are a curr.

on topic, 3 emotes shouldn't mean a ban.

now if the person kept emote spamming the same person every time they ganked them , then yes a ban should be considered.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Check the posts in the two threads GReaper posted too, this isnt a case of laughing at someone 3 times.

had this coming because i do laughspam (alot)

Was 19 according to the reporter, Gamah

IMO a 3 day ban is harsh, i love Tilda's idea :) But its GoA's game and they make the rules, and we accept them everytime we play.

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
Heta said:
I think roleplayers should be banned :(

DAOC would be a very empty world, then.

We are all roleplayers. Some of us just lack the imagination to do so convincingly and others the courtesy of accepting that.

Kaomond

Fledgling Freddie
Hey i had a 3 day ban for using an exploit on a character i didn't have on a server i have never played on, go figure, nothing surprises me with GOA.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Personally I think that 3 days isn't harsh enough, if you don't have a strong enough deterent then people will still abuse because the punishment doesn't hurt them very much. That said though if GOA are prepared to perma ban repeat offenders (3 strikes and you're out) then I think the current punishment of 3 days is just fine. If someone is retarded or anti-social enough to get suspended 3 times then they really don't belong in an MMO anyway.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Dorin said:
/ignore or turn emote messages off?

nope, lets ban.

k.
so basically you are saying GOA should ignore people who make legitamate complaints....

Penguin

Fledgling Freddie
Tears said:
ban them, like Requeil says

If people want to be so childish take away their toys for a day or three.

So their crime is "being childish"?

I think it's too harsh, sure it's a pita, but like people have said before, turn emotes off or /ignore.

If someone /laughs at me 72 times i wouldn't feel any different to if someone /laughed at me twice though. The only problem i can see is the spam in the chat box?

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
People should be able to emote as much as they like. If you dont like it filter or ignore. Simple really. Do we really need some pompous nerd GM dictating that using an emote three times is okay but using the same emote seven times is against the rules and will get you banned. Luckily mythic do not have the same policy.

EDIT: Even more reason to move to the US, not only is the service better but they do not have idiotic rules like this.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Ballard said:
People should be able to emote as much as they like. If you dont like it filter or ignore. Simple really. Do we really need some pompous nerd GM dictating that using an emote three times is okay but using the same emote seven times is against the rules and will get you banned. Luckily mythic do not have the same policy.

EDIT: Even more reason to move to the US, not only is the service better but they do not have idiotic rules like this.

Read the posts, its not three times.

Why should players be forced to tweek their client settings and issue commands to block the spam of others who break the CoC that they agreed to ?

Penguin

Fledgling Freddie
Tears said:
Why should players be forced to tweek their client settings and issue commands to block the spam of others who break the CoC that they agreed to ?

Whats more effort, typing /ignore, or bringing up right now and submitting a complaint?

Or as someone mentioned on the other thread - would you rather "run to the teacher" ?

I reckon it's a bigger punishment being on the mature side of your realms ignore list than a 3 day ban.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Tears said:
Read the posts, its not three times.

You are the one who needs to read again mate. Please quote where i ever said three emotes would get you banned?

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Ballard said:
You are the one who needs to read again mate. Please quote where i ever said three emotes would get you banned?

:) point taken, reading too fast, and may other people have said it. Funny that you see the text but read what you want to hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom