Goa Please Fix The Lag In Toa (attention Kemor)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I was getting the same delay on a gf4 4880 Ti and a lappy ATi Mobility 9000

So whats hard to believe ?

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Is it worth including Realm and Server along with system specs ?

Athlon 2700, 1 GB DDR Ram, GeForce Ti2800, Prydwen - Albion.

No lag since I downgraded the drivers on the Netgear FA311 to stop the LD on using Djinn Stones.

Darzil

Serbitar

Fledgling Freddie
I too get these god-awful spikes. On my comp looking at 15 secs system freeze (mouse, keyb, game) followed by 10 secs of game freeze (i.e. can move the mouse but can't do anything at all in the game)

Pryd/Alb
Athlon XP 3200+
GeForce FX 5600
512 DDR (>1gb is next on the list)

Jacilja

Fledgling Freddie
snoz said:
Well most of us have uber pc's well above the spec required. radeon 9800xt 3000+ athlon etc. This is not frames per second lag trust me. Also hmmm I doubt its a mythic thing ? I've never seen anything on vgn about server issues and I would take a guess that if the yanks had the same isssues we are experiencing there would be atleast 100 threads on the topic. Not like US players are scared of complaining is it :)

the americans ARE haveing same problem, they even named it "ToA Lag" and posted lots whines, but now they just seem to have grown used to the idea, that 1min your running on stick, next it all freezes and your grp is vanishing into the distance...

ps: Agree maybe the Buff Bot part is a bonus :)

have to say 100% it isnt GOA server lag, because if it was i would have gotten it also, its more likely to be a combo of your pc/isp setup, i dont care what u say, if 100% of the server isnt experiencing it it isnt SERVER lag.. a good thing to do is also once a week tick the CHECK ALL FILES box when u log in as missing files can often slow you down as the client has to load them thru the server as you go, hence delays, lockups lag for certain models etc..

emma

Loyal Freddie
Im getting extremly annoying connection lag in the ToA zones making it almost impossible to use reactionary styles well. It takes on average 2-5 seconds for the game to register my keyboard commands, yet a friend using the exact same connection doesnt get the lag mainly because he doesnt play in any of the ToA zones, he`s still leveling his toon. 1Mb DSL connection i ping the servers at ~4-50ms yet when it comes to playing in the ToA zones its like im on a 14.4kbps modem :(

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
I was suffering lag too yesterday, it wasn't choppy "your pc sucks" lag, but more like I clicked a style and 3 seconds later I'd be in combat and under attack. My internet is fine, so I'm not sure what it is.

legis

Fledgling Freddie
Elewyth(TLSOA) said:
have to say 100% it isnt GOA server lag, because if it was i would have gotten it also, its more likely to be a combo of your pc/isp setup, i dont care what u say, if 100% of the server isnt experiencing it it isnt SERVER lag.. a good thing to do is also once a week tick the CHECK ALL FILES box when u log in as missing files can often slow you down as the client has to load them thru the server as you go, hence delays, lockups lag for certain models etc..

I disagree. It is still possible this is a server issue. I would believe the game on server side is built like modules, and lag issues can absolutely be zone related. The assumption that if 'someone' on the server has lag issues, can't be server related because then 'everyone' would be lagging just isn't right.

This is not specific to DAoC. Even Asheron's Call has zones where it feels like running into a wall in certain zones.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
legis said:
I would believe the game on server side is built like modules
If your interested in server configuration theres a decent article dating from just after the original release that gives some details on this - as well as other things.

SI + TOA have both been added since then: but that just involved adding a few more servers ;)

Damon_D

Fledgling Freddie
Áye the the game has been running like shite since we got TOA, peopel loosing stick ll the time , dying because they lag run into mob's and/or lava pool's etc etc This need to be fix'd ASAP !!!

Damon_D

Fledgling Freddie
Elewyth(TLSOA) said:

Well no idea if its the server or just crappy codeing , my comp should have absolutely no problems running this game , and I'm running a 3mb line ( my own not shared with ANYONE ) with no packet loss at all

Pogel

Fledgling Freddie
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't good old server lag - not connection or framerate, but the ability of the servers to handle all the shit that's flying at them. The past week will have seen a pretty big jump in population figures (most of them in the same few zones) and a lot of people doing some stuff that might well be server-heavy (all that interesting new ToA content, AI, quest pop-ups, etc.). Stick enough people in a zone and get them all doing stuff and the servers may well be creaking under the stress. It's the same kind of stuff we'd see when a frontier got hit by a big relic raid/defense.

I seem to remember that GOA upgraded some of the servers (inc. Excalibur) a while back, with plans to do the same for the others. I'm not sure they got round to Prydwen, which might explain a bit.

As for the US servers? Well, I expect the problem's still there but the complaints have died down because people have gotten over the initil rush for the new content and are now more evenly spread around the server cluster.

Miina Ashera

Loyal Freddie
I have had the same problems described in several posts except the ld problem on both of my computers (one low end "far below ToA spec" and one high end).

In fact does the low end system work better then the high end system atm.

I solved most of my problems with these 'simple' steps. 1st downloading the latest drivers and 2nd lock down both of my systems (disable services and other tweaks).

The only major problem I have are the delay in chat, everything else seems to work fine and I guess the delay/lag in chat are a server side issue.

One good guide can be found at Blackwiper (WinXP and Win2K) about what to disable for different needs. All who use these lockdowns should read carefully and understand what they are doing, and apply all drivers before using the lockdown. I have not got any problems after disabling a lots of services but I can't make any promise it'll work on all systems.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Elewyth(TLSOA) said:

Agreed...I'm not seeing any more lag in TOA than I was before (NTL 600 KB/s cable connection, PC is Athlon XP2200+, 768 MB DDR RAM, GF4 Ti4600)...

SoWat

Loyal Freddie
Pretty bad lag (circa 2-3 secs) in ToA. My laptop doesn't seem to suffer from the problem.

My main PC has a Ti4800 (which seems to be appearing a lot in this thread), and my laptop has the mobile Geforce chipset.

I also found that fighting Dust Devils (on the island where the Seed Planting quest takes place) causes me to LD.

It's starting to look like it may be graphic card related, although the other big difference between my laptop and my Main is that my main is an Athlon, and the laptop is a Pentium 4.

EDIT:
Further to this:

I've been having a think about this problem and I think it is indeed graphic card related. With the new 'pre-caching' option it may well be that the AGP aperture is being used up (AGP Aperture is main system memory that is reserved for graphic card use when the card's memory is full). Precaching a lot of textures may very well do that.

Mine was set to 128mb (same as card memory), but as I have 1Gb of RAM, I've now changed this to 256mb. I'll be giving it a try later tonight to see if it helps.

It might be worthwhile for others to increase their Aperture size, and test it, to give us a wide range of results. It's not advisable to go higher than half your system RAM btw :)

Sigurd

Banned
Actually, this is a TOA problem and has been mostly sorted in the latest Mythic patch. You lot will have to wait for that of course... thank Mythic for not actually testing TOA.

SoWat

Loyal Freddie
Well a fair few hours played with the altered Aperture size.

I had no lag at all, except the momentary pause when zoning which is good news.

I still have to play a couple more nights as I believe the server was rebooted last night.

It looks as if precaching is the culprit here, and I'd guess that the Mythic fix changes the amount/quality of the precached textures. Having to increase Aperture size is not the way to get a game to run properly.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Archeon said:
I'm pretty sure the lag is a ToA problem, not GoA - infact looking at the 1.68 patch notes theres a little mention about code optimization (not sure what that means but i'd assume its relevent).

TBH though I havn't been experiencing any major lag, maybe its your PC? Have you tried turning down the graphics settings to their lowest? I really question whether or not Mythic were bullshitting when they came up with their 'recommended PC spec' for ToA - been hearing lots of people complaining about lag even with their PC meeting this spec. :(

I was experimenting last night. I was getting really nasty lag whilst underwater. After bringing the clip plane down to medium it got ok after that. It is probably worth tinkering with settings, with the sheer amount of water when above water level there is bound to be a lot of system overheads and below water there is so much more rendering to do with potentially more monsters in the area due to the extra dimensions and also the extra rendering for the light effects underwater (which are soo soo pretty!)

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Baldanah said:
i'm running it on an AMD 2200 , 1gig ddr 400 , Radeon 9600 pro 128mb . Paging file is 1 gig .

I have my screen set to 1600x1024 , gfx settings are all at max . Only thing i don't have on is shadows and the game runs totally smooth for me tbh .

Only time i seem to get an latency etc is when i'm in the housing zone .

I have noticed that its using a huge amount of memory though on my system . Seems to be using around 500 mb of mem on my system .

Oh , i have precaching off as well as it causes probs on my comps for some reason .

The large amount of memory isn't an issue, on the whole programs will use as much memory as they can only going to pagefile when they run out of physical memory. With SI it regularly used to run at 400-500mbs in memory with almost maxed out cpu usage.
I'm going to be very interested to see how my second pc copes with TOA...

Systems
Athlon 2600 barton core, 2x512mb pc2700 ram, 80hdd 7200rpm, G-Force FX5600ultra
Athlon 7500, 256mb pc100 ram, 2x20gb 7200rpm, g-force4800

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
SoWat said:
Pretty bad lag (circa 2-3 secs) in ToA. My laptop doesn't seem to suffer from the problem.

My main PC has a Ti4800 (which seems to be appearing a lot in this thread), and my laptop has the mobile Geforce chipset.

I also found that fighting Dust Devils (on the island where the Seed Planting quest takes place) causes me to LD.

It's starting to look like it may be graphic card related, although the other big difference between my laptop and my Main is that my main is an Athlon, and the laptop is a Pentium 4.

EDIT:
Further to this:

I've been having a think about this problem and I think it is indeed graphic card related. With the new 'pre-caching' option it may well be that the AGP aperture is being used up (AGP Aperture is main system memory that is reserved for graphic card use when the card's memory is full). Precaching a lot of textures may very well do that.

Mine was set to 128mb (same as card memory), but as I have 1Gb of RAM, I've now changed this to 256mb. I'll be giving it a try later tonight to see if it helps.

It might be worthwhile for others to increase their Aperture size, and test it, to give us a wide range of results. It's not advisable to go higher than half your system RAM btw :)

ANother thing to consider is the graphics card drivers themselves. For my g-force cards i've had problems with new zones at various times. My out of the box drivers with my fx5600ultra were fine until I installed foundations and then the pc went into slide animation mode whenever I ported there after baout 10 seconds. The latest g-force drivers cleared this up.
I agree with the precaching thing, this could well be an issue.
One of the problems with these sorts of games are there are so many variables in what can go wrong. Server side, client side and all throughout the network.
Some problems are a pig to diagnose too. I had major problems with linkdeads a few weeks ago. I upgraded the firmware on my netgear dg814 router and all was fine for a day or so and then I had ongoing ld problems every 5 minutes. After consultation with my isp and various tests it turned out that connection timeout on the new firmware was set to 5 minutes (which it was before anyway) but due to issues with the firmware it was timing out even if there was a connection present. Setting it to 0 sorted the problem entirely.

Auriel

Fledgling Freddie
See if this tip fixes your lag. For example, running towards a marketplace in the housing zone used to be like watching a slideshow, and now it's as smooth as silk! :D

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
Skeggi said:
doesn't matter that much if it's Kingston or anything else ;p

Depends on how good your timings are on the memory modules :D

I can guarantee you that the the timings on Kingston, corsair etc beats the hell outta standard samsung and noname memories :D

Can post the timings of you want

Indio

Fledgling Freddie
Please note I am no PC expert ..........

I have a P4 2.4gig setup with 500mB RAM and a GF4 64Mb card.

I suffer serious 'lag' problems too but I don't think it has anything to do with my ISP or connection. I noticed that the HD is constantly in use and when I checked in task manager the CPU is ALWAYS 100% usage.

The game.dll file is currently taking 377mB of RAM, add to this the operating system processes and it seems fairly obvious that the 384mB minimum recommended to run this game is totally incorrect.

I used to love this game but quite honestly it has become unplayable on my setup and I get so stressed out when I do play. If something is not done to fix the problem - and quickly - then its finito for me.

edit 4/3/04

another night of sheer frustration - returning the game to the shop where I bought it tomorrow, should be interesting :)

Indio.

Rediknight

Can't get enough of FH
Have noticed a slight up in the lag department, but i cant do without the trees - they are very nice :) other than that, water off, shadows off...

However, the minute i left that minotaurs presence, i was stumbling around all over the shop between the lava pools to the point where i was missing entire encounters... I would guess, in my case, its a hardware issue, but what with so many others suffering it and with me having very few problems everywhere else, i thought it worth a mention...

P4 1.8Gb, 512Mb ram, Nvidia GeForce3 somethingorother...

but then again, it's a dell, so who knows what goes on in there :touch:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom