[RANT] GOA/Mythic - Get a grip about pricing.

Should the game client + CDKEY be available cheaper from GOA/Mythic?

• Yes - Give more people.

Votes: 42 63.6%
  • No - Give more cash.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I like pie, lots.

Votes: 22 33.3%

• Total voters

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Warhammer Online Digital download+license from GOA *special Xmas price*: £29.99

Warhammer Online Digital download + license from Mythic/EA: £34.99

Warhammer Online retail box from online retailer: £9.99

Now lets remember, GOA/Mythic will get the subscription, so why in the name of the wee man are they charging such an utterly ludicrous amount of money for the digital download? Do they realise how vastly overpriced that is?

The best part is this:

This special price will only be available for a limited time so don't miss out; give someone a taste of WAR this Christmas!

Are you intentionally taking the piss out of your player base? The client is downloadable from the GOA site for free, all your selling someone is the CDKey and 30 days standard free access. You will not encourage people into a game by blatantly ripping them off to start with. Fire your marketing people immediately!

I doubt that any current subscribers of the game will give a damn if you give the game away at this point, cover the costs of the download but get people in the damn game pronto.

Oh and whilst I'm on my little rant - lets NOT have paid for expansions - include the costs in the subscription to keep things simple. That way new players don't have to buy the basic game + numerous addon packs after a couple of years, if we get that far that is.

Penlid

Fledgling Freddie
Why should they price it cheaper? Just because companies can buy them in bulk and charge it at a lower price doesn't mean that GOA/Mythic has to.

Thats like saying that all new PC Games, Xbox, Wee games should all be £9.

The reason you pay for the subscription is to use the servers and GOA's bandwidth, your initially paying for the content.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I'm puzzled. You already bought the game and have been playing it for some time.

Why the rant?

Loneliness

Loyal Freddie
Not the rediculious sub price rant thread i was looking for... i want cake

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Well seems this is what most companies do, just check out EA. Always way more expensive to buy and download from them, than order the game + box online and have it shipped home.

I would love to buy the games directly from the publisher/developer but should it not be a bit cheaper and not more expensive?

Menset

Fledgling Freddie
Not the rediculious sub price rant thread i was looking for... i want cake

You do know the Cake is a lie.

BOT. I agree with OP that this is much more costly and does not make sense. You also have to take into account that some people, in 3rd World Countries, have capped internet so it will cost us way more than normal.

My cousins copy of the game should arrive on our shores Jan next year.....so much for Christmas, but at least its 1/3 price.

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
I'm puzzled. You already bought the game and have been playing it for some time.

Why the rant?

Simple, MMOs survive only with fresh players entering the game. The first port of call for any new player is the games homepage, they'll check it out to see what it's like and perhaps read some review websites.

Chances are the first place they'll check for pricing will be that game homepage, if it's expensive and has expensive subscription costs they're more likely to be put off. Yes some will go on to look at retailers, but many won't, especially when they're comparing MMOs.

GOA/Mythic should be putting some effort into getting people into the game, having initial costs of £29.99-£34.99 when retailers can do it for less than 33% of that is just pathetic. GOA/Mythic will get the subscription payment so it won't take long for them to make profit on someone who subscribes, yet there not exactly encouraging people to do so.

Warcraft has been a huge success because they focused on getting people into the game and onto monthly subs, the initial cost from the homepage is just £9.99.

It's obviously too soon for a free trial of Warhammer, which is why I'm ignoring WoW's free trial, but initial "startup" costs for these games are barely comparable. Warhammer has to get a solid and GROWING player base, yes the two companies who have a vested interest in doing so seem to be little about it. :(

I'm annoyed as I'd like this game to have a decent lifespan.

Mr_Grumpy

Fledgling Freddie
Another whine about nothing lol. Who gives a flying fuck abaout this but the OP?

WOW 9.99 didnt happen within the first 3 months of game launch rofl.

seriously if its a problem then go buy it from GAME etc If this amount of moneys a problem then the monthly subs will be too id guess.

pfft paupers these days!

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Mr_Grumpy - Try reading the post, if you did you'd know I already have the game. :kissit:

caswallawn

Fledgling Freddie
the fact is its the same with most games. look at steam most new game come to around the £30 mark before VAT (about £35 after vat) yet the same games in a game stor are quite often under £25 yet the valve games in store are sublicenced through EA so you would asume it would cost more as another groupe wants a cut of the profit.

the simple fact is these companies play on the people who dont price check. they think if they put a price on thier site most people would belive they are the cheapest as they are the creator and suplier of the game.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Simple, MMOs survive only with fresh players entering the game. The first port of call for any new player is the games homepage, they'll check it out to see what it's like and perhaps read some review websites.

Chances are the first place they'll check for pricing will be that game homepage, if it's expensive and has expensive subscription costs they're more likely to be put off. Yes some will go on to look at retailers, but many won't, especially when they're comparing MMOs.

GOA/Mythic should be putting some effort into getting people into the game, having initial costs of £29.99-£34.99 when retailers can do it for less than 33% of that is just pathetic. GOA/Mythic will get the subscription payment so it won't take long for them to make profit on someone who subscribes, yet there not exactly encouraging people to do so.

Warcraft has been a huge success because they focused on getting people into the game and onto monthly subs, the initial cost from the homepage is just £9.99.

It's obviously too soon for a free trial of Warhammer, which is why I'm ignoring WoW's free trial, but initial "startup" costs for these games are barely comparable. Warhammer has to get a solid and GROWING player base, yes the two companies who have a vested interest in doing so seem to be little about it. :(

I'm annoyed as I'd like this game to have a decent lifespan.

Why is it too early for a free trial?

EQ2 released their free trial very soon after launch, in fact it was the open beta area they used (Trial of the Isle).

Free trials are an excellent way of getting people to try the game, it is by no means the desperation move it used to be. If the game is promotable, companies will promote it and a free trial is just about the single best promotion offer there is for an mmo. The real question is, are Mythic confident enough about the current game state to introduce the trial? If a player trys a game that the dev company feels is in a poor state then that will leave a lasting negative impression on that player whereas if they had waited until the game was in a state they deemed acceptable, that players experience might have a better chance of being more positive and thus increase the chances that trial might become a purchase and maybe even a sub. If done too early, that potential sub might be lost forever.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Yeah I agree there should be free trials straight away, it would save me having to explain the game to friends when I could just link them to a free trial so they can test it for themselves. There is lots of unnecessary whine about this game which I'm sure some players will take too seriously and will be put off; if they had a chance to try a free trial then they wouldn't have to rely on the reviews of brainless monkeys or myself.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Actually Kami is 100% spot on with this, why are they penalising digital download customers? Lets be honest, a digital download purchase is literally 100% profit for them so why are they pricing the game at above 3 times the actual retail price? All they are doing is driving people to the retail chains and losing money to the middleman at the same time making people wait longer to play than is necessary.

It is a half baked policy and someone needs to be held to account for it.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Likely, there's a 6 month to 1 year agreement that GOA/EA/Mythic won't undercut the shops & franchises they sell through. Undercutting the sales channels would undermine themselves. Hence the delay on any reduced price sales direct from vendor.

You'll probably see the likes of Amazon in the UK selling it cheaper before any direct from vendor cost reductions.

Mr_Grumpy

Fledgling Freddie
Mr_Grumpy - Try reading the post, if you did you'd know I already have the game. :kissit:

Nope.
/reads again

Nope.

Sorry no where do you say you are playing GOA servers just in your sig it says you play mythics servers.

Still stands, paupers should sweep out stables not play mmos.

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Nope.
/reads again

Nope.

Sorry no where do you say you are playing GOA servers just in your sig it says you play mythics servers.

"lost patience with GOA"

It's a bit of a hint :p

bronnac

Fledgling Freddie
Nope.
/reads again

Nope.

You know, there's money to be made from all that horse crap, especially if its a Grand National Winner...

...Arr, the sweet sweet smell of strawified poop

Mr_Grumpy

Fledgling Freddie
"lost patience with GOA"

It's a bit of a hint :p

GOA do other shit apart form WAR and still stands,you didnt say you played goa servers.

Now toodle off and find me some beer you serf.

Next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom