GOA kills it's own forums. :P

O

old.Kelmon

Anyway. I made an account here. Let's see who else has enough tolerance for green to bother with this.. green place.

Damn, it reminds me of Hibernia. X_x

T

Trebz

Green rocks!

Ok so i'm biase and having worked with the colour for so many years gives me a certain affinity with it.

You'll get used to it and come to love it, truly...you will....

G

granny

Well I'm happy with a move to these forums, I've been using them for about 2 years now anyway :p

And let's be honest, the DaoC section here could *really* do with a bit of a boost :p

That reminds me, Trebz m8, what's the BW plans regarding daoc? There's the start of a nice section on the webby but not a lot (ok, nothing) in the way of real content yet.

Oh and is there any chance of a coulour-scheme change just for the daoc forums? People are in general very conservative creatures and if these few forums only had a nice, hmm, shall we say, randomly, black & brown theme then it might reduce the resistance-to-change that will be apparent over the next few weeks.

The closing of the official forums IS going to split the Euro daoc community and do irreparable damage to the game outside of the US and there's nothing we can do about that, but we can at least hope for some preservation of the old comunity here :)

Whitelight - zZap! Pow! WhoOosh! Elf!

The Harpers

T

Trebz

It is possible to recolour certain sections yes, but that would me redoing all the buttons etc, which i dont have time for atm, sorry!

Anyways, who says rpg hasto be brown/black, nowt wrong with green! They go together like mud and er, grass?

G

granny

Originally posted by Trebz
It is possible to recolour certain sections yes, but that would me redoing all the buttons etc, which i dont have time for atm, sorry!

Anyways, who says rpg hasto be brown/black, nowt wrong with green! They go together like mud and er, grass?

I just meant to match the soon-to-be-dead offical forums ;)

T

Trebz

Heh, you think if we alter it people wont notice the difference? :p

O

old.Kelmon

I still can't believe the hypocrisy of Kemor.. He'll post here, but doesn't want to maintain the official forums and post there. He'll reach thousands of people more there than he'll do here.

The mind boggles.

T

Trebz

Well Kemor doesn't run GOA, have you thought it might not be his decision to do this?

O

old.Kelmon

He's responsible for the English version of the game. Even if it wasn't his decision, that doesn't change anything about the responsibility.

Be honest.. which would be a better place to host the forums.. The game site itself, or here? I have nothing against BarrysWorld, but it's a niche site. If you're not into FPS then you most likely wouldn't have heard of this. (I've played enough UT to know if this site.. :)

Don't pay too much attention to me. I'm just trying to see the business logic of their decision. ;D

K

kemor

Kelmon,
there is a huge difference between posting on "official forums" and posting on fansite forums. There is also a huge difference between players posting on "official" forums and fansite forums. Might be hypocrisy, but that's how it goes...

W

Wij

If they link these forums from the GOA site what's the problem ?

Green 0wnz !

:)

M

Meatballs

Originally posted by Kemor
Kelmon,
there is a huge difference between posting on "official forums" and posting on fansite forums. There is also a huge difference between players posting on "official" forums and fansite forums. Might be hypocrisy, but that's how it goes...

didn't really understand that but at least you're posting ;)

[edit: couldn't spell you're]

J

Jupitus

mmm Meatballs......

is that you Thorn old chap???

:)

Jup.

Q

Quemine

They're not just killing the forums, they're killing off what's left of the community. It's really sad...

S

Sar

I honestly think GOA are incapable of handling this game and its community.

F

Flimgoblin

Actually having the forums in a different place to the servers might not be all bad...

E.g. if someone does a denial of service on GOA's network (again) then you'll be able to whinge somewhere about it :)

Ok ok ... and Kemor could post info about what's going on (as he did before)

I'm sad to see the old forums go - they were so pretty in their brown and black (and after the recent upgrade of the buttons? or was that just my imagination).

Just hope it means more effort towards gettin those new patches/events/fun things done :p

A link from the front page to these forums would be nice. Allow the 'finding out useful things' part of the old forums to continue on....

K

Keri

Originally posted by Kemor
Kelmon,

Rough translation ..... It's OK to flame GOA on this forum (within reason I guess), but not on the official one that prospective subscribers will read first, and therefore potentially decide not to subscribe.

B

BlueJam

Omg It's Sar :p

On the downside, if they close the offical forums, I might have to come here and haunt Sar :cool:

S

Sar

OMG ROFL

Lo BJ :p

What server/realm you playing on?

I'm a 28 Thane on Prydwens Midgard :D

R

Riddler

tum tee tum...well...actually i dont mind moving here at all, much faster forums indeed and we get a "fresh" start again :clap:

S

SFXman

Let's see who else has enough tolerance for green to bother with this.. green place.
I have enough tolerance, as a matter of fact I love this colour scheme!
Plus I really like the options on this board and although I am usually a signature freak the no-picture-in-signature policy is just fine.
The boards work fast for me and seem very reliable (unlike the GOA ones in the beginning).

O

old.Spiritwolf

A tolerance for green is an easy thing for Euro DAoC players to find.

We've tolerated GOA until now :eek: so a bit of green isn't going to hurt much... except maybe our eyes :cool:

S

SFXman

Aren't any of you others extremely shocked by this sudden closing of the forums?
Well apparently the german ones closed alreayd due to a ingame mod blurting out the real reason for the discontinuation of the forums, which was actually the bad reputation taht could be gained from the numerous complaint posts seen around the forums.

K

Keri

I'm not shocked. From their POV, it makes sense. Too many people were flaming GOA, and the official forum is the first place people who were interested in buying the game would go to. If you were thinking about buying a game, went to the game's official forum, and saw so many negative posts about the game, would you still buy it? Quite possibly not. The easiest solution for GOA was to shut down the forum. I'm not saying it was the best, the best would have been improved customer relations. I think that if GOA had given the players the same kind of game experience as Mythic gave its customers, the flames would have been far fewer. Patching will always be behind the US, and I think we all agree on this, but to have absolutely no in-game support is one of the major shortcomings that players have found intolerable.

A GOA version of Sanya would go a long way towards repairing the fragile relationship between GOA and the players too.

S

SFXman

But I think that if GOA took some time to improve their CS and ingame support (this would be great) the comments on the forums would change radically.
But I think that complaining about downtime is ridiculous since this game, believe it or not, has very little of it compared to many other MMORPG's. Best example being UO with its daily maintenance.

O

old.Kelmon

You know what really worries me? The fact that they just do it. If they do this, what will they do next?

Have you considered what might happen if in a while when the population stabilizes and one of the servers turns out to be underpopulated? They'll probably kill it off without a second thought. Too bad you spend months playing there and got your characters up to 50th. ;P

I'm not trying to panic-monger, but I do want to make sure you know what might happen with a company that acts so suddenly, ruthlessly and narrowmindedly.

As stated by many others, it's most likely some upstairs sales-dude who thought this up, leaving the GM's to take the flaming. But the way GOA is presenting itself, we have no other choice. They have no point of communication, other than those three (English, French and German GMs)

S

SFXman

I am quite worried aswell... who knows what they might do next. HOWEVER it is always possible that the closing of the forums may result in improving of the CS and website information (XML stuff etc.).
I myself don't find it much of a problem that I must use these forums since I like them very much.
But I have seen that players have taken action and started sending mails to Mythic and various other places.
Best thing that could happen is that either GOA shape up or maybe (I really mean maybe... slim chance) the task will be taken up by another company (doubt it but still).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom