Goa Hacker arrested

S

Shadowtje

As said in the news on camelot-europe.com a spanish hacker is arrested. Here the original news article from
http://www.hoy.es/edicion/prensa/noticias/Badajoz/200312/23/HOY-BAD-008.html

translated with babblefish

A hacker falls who copied the source code of a famous game ' hacker' is 25 years old, he lives in San Roque, and he acceded to the data of the users of a program that has subscribers in all Europe REDACCIÓN/BADAJOZ ImprimirEnviar a spectacular transfronteriza police operation has allowed to stop in Badajoz to presumed ' hacker' (hacker) that had managed to deceive the security systems of a popular computer game and to even take control of its source codes and of the data bases of the users, including the numbers of its credit cards. The Superior Headquarters of Police of Extremadura explained yesterday, through the Delegation of the Government, who the investigation began month of August the past, after a hacker managed to accede to the platform that administers one of the more popular computer games by Internet of the moment: ' Dark age of Camelot'. The Police discovered that ' hacker' was satisfied at a first moment to granting administration privileges and including like gratuitous users some friends his. "For being able to play legally, any user must buy CD-Rom and a monthly bond, then receiving the rights of operation of a user name and a key with which to accede to the game". Nevertheless, the incursions of the pirate were more and more important, and the equipment of computer science security of the company that manages the game discovered that during one of the accesses hacker "the complete code had unloaded fuete of the game". Discovered in France Wanadoo-France, company that manages the license of ' Dark age of Camelot' in Europe, put the facts in knowledge of the French Police, and soon it was discovered that the accesses to the security systems of the game were made from Spain. "Through the Interpol, the Brigade of Technological Investigation of the General Police station of Judicial Police had knowledge of these facts, although the evidences were very weak". For this reason, the technicians of Wanadoo-France moved to Spanish territory and managed to center the investigations in the city of Badajoz, advances in which also participated to Wanadoo-Spain and the Brigade of Technological Investigation. New incursions While all this happened, ' hacker' followed made pirate incursions during the month of December, every time serious. The economic breaks and the damage that caused the attacks in the image of Wanadoo-France increased, and finally it was decided to take part the Technological Brigade of the National Body of Police, whose agents moved to Badajoz with the purpose of capturing presumed ' hacker': Raul J. B., of 25 years of age. In the halting they took part police from the Headquarters of Extremadura that lent cover to their Madrilenian companions. Thus it was discovered that the hacker was a boy without police antecedents and that, according to has been able to know this newspaper, lives in the quarter of San Roque. In their address a computer and several CD were found that contained the binary code of the game. Of the study and the analysis of ' logs' contributed by Wanadoo and of the found evidences, it is deduced that ' hacker' managed to introduce in the internal network that is in charge to administer ' to Dark age of Camelot', being obtained the control of an account ' game master' (it counts on administrative powers). Also one has known that it unloaded the binary code of the game, affecting his normal operation, and free acceded to the data bases of users, creating accounts for new players or using other people's credit cards. New haltings The operation continues open, since the Police is investigating the material taken part with the purpose of finding out if the prisoner is member of a group of ' hackers' that would have collaborated in this attack and even shared the obtained benefits.

S

Shadowtje

Hmm the article says he did get Credit card data while Goa posted he didnt..

K

kemor

And this is why we posted some clarifications yesterday on this topic. Quite often, news reporters start to get ideas and mix up things because their only link with a case is a 20 words long news bulletin that is usually a very short and poorly detailed sum up of a case that is not simple, you get things like this article.
So here I come again to clarify, that guy never ever had access to any billing information, we at GOA do not even have these information.

R

rookiescot

Quick question Kemor,
How long had this hacker been operating before he was nailed?
And I'd also like to say WELL DONE !!

Y

-yoda-

i dont think GOA run the spanish servers.,.. i THINK they have a diffeerent host.

T

Tiwaz

Originally posted by -yoda-
i dont think GOA run the spanish servers.,.. i THINK they have a diffeerent host.

Actually, Last time I 'looked', there was no such thing as spanish servers. They play on the same european servers as all of us.

If they didn't play on GOA's servers, there would be no need for GOA to clarify anything, right;)

S

sh33py

Originally posted by Shadowtje
Hmm the article says he did get Credit card data while Goa posted he didnt..

If my memory is correct Sanya posted just after the hackings saying that it wasn't an external hacker, that the daoc servers were unhackable and the databases secure etc. etc.

Yeah right :)

Originally posted by kemor
that guy never ever had access to any billing information, we at GOA do not even have these information.
Creating an account would require access to the same database that holds user info, even without cc details that means he did have access to users personal information; which is a breach of privacy, fortunately for goa not accountable by law (way to go to cover your ass).

Regardless of that GOA has provided little or no information on the specifics and both common courtesy and business law requires that when dealing with personal information an explanation be provided if such a breach occurs.

L

Laroma

Originally posted by rookiescot
How long had this hacker been operating before he was nailed?
If that post is true, and he was still "inside" during December, it'd be about 5 months I guess.

I'm glad they caught up with him.

S

Sichama

And this is why we posted some clarifications yesterday on this topic. Quite often, news reporters start to get ideas and mix up things because their only link with a case is a 20 words long news bulletin that is usually a very short and poorly detailed sum up of a case that is not simple, you get things like this article.
So here I come again to clarify, that guy never ever had access to any billing information, we at GOA do not even have these information.

Then how exactly so many terminated accounts go into auto-renew status by they own, my understanding is that once an account has had auto renew stoped, you need to re enter all CC details, but for some reason when it happens on it's own it isn't needed, obviously the CC details are stored somewhere or this could not happen.

C

chretien

The information would be on the Bibit servers. When you put the CC info in you are connected to Bibit not Goa. Perhaps it's an issue with Bibit and their automatic payment system interfacing with Goas account database?

S

Sichama

Maybe...
wouldn't it be nice to know the answer though?

I

ironhand

Quite often, news reporters start to get ideas and mix up things because their only link with a case is a 20 words long news bulletin that is usually a very short and poorly detailed sum up of a case that is not simple, you get things like this article.

Not unlike GOA who are often guilty of the same poor public relations, so i guess for people to go off on there own tangent and assume certain things or put ephemasis on certain words within statements is understandable.

D

Demolay

Well after playing the "Camelot" cloned game online it's fairly obvious someones got all the source code - least don't have to pay for it now @_@

F

Falcon

You don't need the source code to write a server.

M

Malena

Dont whine all spaniards plz, some peeps as me never join > Excalibur > albion > Caballeros pikones.

I listen that guy only copy & paste ubber items and presents to others guilduies for free. I think he did not has access to our credit cards.

Grats for french- spanish police.

Users who are viewing this thread