GOA...GOA....GOA <Shakes Head>

R

Release

Disaggree about connection probs, im on 3greens all the time apart from the odd lag spike and the odd LD that everyone gets on any game ;)

NTL cable modem, hasnt let me down yet :cool:

J

Jiggs

Originally posted by Alrindel
Jiggs, I don't know what you sell, but I'm sure that from time to time you get customers who are so foolishly unreasonable that you and your colleagues go to the pub and laugh at them over drinks later. Tell me what your business is and I'll come up with an example of a customer who is wrong, irregardless of "the customer is always right."

You and Light and Censi are pretending that you pay GOA a subscription to the game, and GOA runs a pipe straight into your house and are pumping the game in like water, which is preposterous. GOA are running game servers that are connected to the internet, and their responsibility is to keep them running properly and to make sure that the connection to the internet is reliable and adequate. Then you (the customer) pays an internet service provider for access to the internet, and you connect through it to the game (this is the part that you seem to refuse to acknowledge). When the connection breaks, make sure you know which part of the link is broken. Expecting GOA to fix your ISP is like the little old ladies who ring up the post office to complain that their television isn't working properly because they pay their license fee every year, after all, and they should jolly well sort it out.

Understand this: when the servers crash, or the connection breaks because GOA's local routers are inadequate or poorly configured, or because their upstream provider is crap, then I hold GOA fully and completely responsible for this and I expect them to intervene to fix it 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. But when the connection breaks because my cable company goes down, or because the power is off, or because my computer is broken, I don't hold GOA responsible. A lot of people on Barrysworld apparently do, and it drives me insane.

FFS read what i wrote, its wanadoo I am pissed of with,

GOA imo have nothing to do with it: they translate the patches, ban cheats, laugh at complaints about bugs etc etc whatever.

I restate: Its says WANADOO on the box, more often then not they are the problem.

GO FIGURE

J

Jiggs

Originally posted by Alrindel
Jiggs, I don't know what you sell, but I'm sure that from time to time you get customers who are so foolishly unreasonable that you and your colleagues go to the pub and laugh at them over drinks later. Tell me what your business is and I'll come up with an example of a customer who is wrong, irregardless of "the customer is always right."

I just read that bit lol.

In all honesty I can think of one occasion in 10 years of working in the 'food' business when we couldn't meet a customers expectations. We apologised and then we looked at how we could improve our service to meet that level in the future.

I guess thats why we've been in business for 40 years.

Sure customers want stupid things, odd things, hard to get things (and yeah we giggle at 'em) but its like this:

they pay us money and we give it to them, and hey guess what? everyone is happy!!!

PS and no i dont got no pie to spare so go get your own...

O

old.Bometal

And a little detail about our "cinema",

they are still playing Star Wars V (patch 1.48) while the other cinemas are already playing Star Wars II (patch 1.51) because they have to change the subtitles...

So u already know what is comming and u just have to wait to enjoy it (=FRUSTRATING)

(ofcourse a little knowledge of the Star Wars sage is needed to understand this example)

O

old.yaruar

Originally posted by -Light-
It is sad to say that the downfall of KPNQWest service is just a poor excuse for a failed service tbh

I play several other online games in Europe and have next to no lag issues at all

If you really must know I pinged GOA recently and found that they were routing their service through American routers!!!!!

2 things.

KPNQWest were one of the major backbone providers in europe. There are less than a handfull of companies who own the big pipes and routes and they were one of them. Them closing (and the uncertainty before that) was a major issue in terms of europes capacity for data transfer. Also they are not alone, Worldcom are a major player in europe as well as the US and they are in such serious financial problems they will not be around in their present form in 6 months time...

Secondly, so you got routed through the US? so what. Routing is not simply a question of the shortest route from A-B because this may not be either the best route, the quickest, the one with the most failsafes, or even the cheapest if your ISP is looking to cut corners. The internet is not a system of roads it is a complex set of connections of different sizes. One of the largest of which is the pipes to the US. There is a strong possibility that a route through the US will actually be quicker than a direct route from your country to another. Distance is not the problem, bandwith is the problem and you don't get much more bandwith than in the pipes to the US ;-)

O

old.yaruar

Originally posted by old.Bometal
And a little detail about our "cinema",

they are still playing Star Wars V (patch 1.48) while the other cinemas are already playing Star Wars II (patch 1.51) because they have to change the subtitles...

So u already know what is comming and u just have to wait to enjoy it (=FRUSTRATING)

(ofcourse a little knowledge of the Star Wars sage is needed to understand this example)

Yeah but I know which of the films I'd rather see ;-)

H

Heish

Originally posted by old.yaruar

Yeah but I know which of the films I'd rather see ;-)

That was one of the best answers I've ever heard. :D

O

old.Krusha

Originally posted by old.herjulf
Just as it is GOA´s to choose an ISP that works.

it is that easy,

true true.. if they could but alas they can't ;)

J

Jiggs

so the bus is what??? I am lost now. And so long as episode 5 (patch 1.50) gets here I dont mind, the changes after that are not so annoying :)

No pie as yet, HOWEVER there are muffin drops on sals plains!!!

I

Israfael

Originally posted by old.yaruar

They also own freeserve don't they?

They hold approximatly 70-90% of the shares.

Basically - Yes.

Q

quinthar

I have spoken with Level 3 and Wanadoo re: Server Availability problems (And ping/Lag) and the issue in question related to peering issues on Opentransits' side.

Eg: the the people that carry some of Goa's/Wanadoo traffic.

Companies arnt always in control of thier peering partners however they do mostly have Service Level Agrrements in place.

C

Cerverloc

I disagree. It's GOA that is to blame. What are you saying? That GOA cannot supply a quality product that we all pay for because they got a sucky ISP?? GOA is responsable for the quality of the product. If they cannot fullfill in this responsability then what are they hosting MMORPGS for in the first place?

Q

quinthar

Who are you replying to?

If its me then:

The nature of the internet is such that GOA will make every effort to ensure that thier systems are running fine and that of thier providers where possible.

The internet is such that it cannot be regulated and therefore people cannot be held responsible for others' issues.

S

Slipurson

My God.... people read the posts.... here we have 20 people saying the same thing but with diff words...

And i agree with alind... if Everyone LD go ahead and blame GOA but if 50% or even 90% LD and the other 10% has green green how the H*LL can we blame GOA ? as far as the once that are still online knows the server is running smoothly...

And Mobstomper, i would never LD 10 times in 20 mins i would stop connecting after 5 times in 10 mins :) hehe but i know ur feeling... "maybe it works now" :)

And to all you that are whining STOP playing if GOA suck so bad... just let ur subscription run out and go buy a copy of dungeon siege (but on the other hand then it might be microsfts fault that u haven't got the right amount of free diskspace for it :p .
If u had read the stuff from GOA telling "no refunds" you would have done as i did and pay 1 month at the time so if i get bored or the game sucks i can just stop playing and only lost money for the days left until the end of the month... and if u payed 6 months in advance i'd say... foolish...

If i where GOA i would have given up long ago since every god damn thing that happens on the servers makes 50% of the communty go here and make a 2 pages flaming of them... as for the time when the servers got "hacked" or whatever it was, everyone started flaming about that GOA was just covering up... Why do you bother to type something "to" GOA when you only think that they lie and try to blame others... ?

Thats all i wanted to say... hopefully...

S

Slipurson

wanted to add this just to show that we are not alone....

http://vnboards.ign.com/message.asp...8974&replies=72

(posted by Cjkace in another thread)

BTW don't get me wrong on the other post.. i don't dislike all u that are posting... and i do not like the LD's.. i am just as fed up with them as you all are... but stil we can not blame GOA every time... if this goes on ppl are going to whine about not beeing able to play on fridays at 10am :) (server maintenece .. spelling...)

B

big-j

I think you have all devoted far too much time into dragging this point on... If u get lag, then you or the game is broke, fix it with big hammer, fix head with hammer and bash hard.. head fixed.. fix computer with hammer... computer fixed.

Joreth Ironwrath - Fixer of all your problems

"All things come to those with the biggest hammers..."

O

old.Mobstomper

I will fix your head with a hammer anytime

D

Damon_D

[
Imagine this scenario -

You work for a very large ISP
You have a server outage at the moment.
This is due to BT screwing up your backbone - it's not your fault.
You can't tell your customer's it's BT's fault because that's bad business.
Several thousand people are right at this moment calling your helpline and screaming "I can't access the internet!!!! Fix IT! I PAY FOR THIS SERVICE!!!"
You can't fix it - You have to wait for BT to send out a smelly little engineer to the middle of nowhere and replace a fuse.
All you can do is weather the storm until BT fixes the problem, and prepare for the backlash.

Ok?

You're Goa.
BT is Wanadoo.
The thousands of screaming customers are those who whine here.

See the point?

No?

Go back to school then ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

Bahhh that makes no sence, atleast not if your not owning BT/or they own you ( or the company you work for ) :rolleyes: .. And why the H.. should we give a flying piece of shrubbery about, what is bad for buisness for them ???
Cant be good for business that 1 gazillion customeres complain about the service either... I't might not be Goa's fault every time , but a major problem is the relation between Goa and Wannabegoodatthisnetthingy , as they cant complain or scream foul if they fekk up

Users who are viewing this thread