GOA giving up on WAR

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Looks like it's such a flop that even GOA doesn't want it anymore:

Announcement: Transition to Mythic servers

Today we announce that GOA will cease publishing, operating and subscription services for Warhammer® Online: Age of Reckoning® (WAR) in Europe and transition the operation of the game to Mythic Entertainment.

It goes without saying that we have enjoyed a lot of great times with you. Over the past couple of years we have fostered a fantastically vibrant and active community; we saw the world’s first Tchar’Zanek and Karl Franz kills pre 1.3.5 and hosted undeniably some of the most professional guilds to ever play WAR.

Over the next few weeks we will be working very closely with the Mythic Team to ensure you all get settled as smoothly as possible. We wish to assure you that all characters, guilds and account information will be migrated to Mythic servers and will be available to present and past players.

No surprise given the quickly shrinking number of players.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
well, let me say.... thats a suprise of epic proportions

feel sorry for the GOA monkeys frankly, not the best of news, and its mostly mythics IP/design fail that caused it rather than goa so :(

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
feel sorry for the GOA monkeys frankly, not the best of news, and its mostly mythics IP/design fail that caused it rather than goa so :(

Yep, for once we can't actually blame GOA...

Tho i have to say i was suspecting this might happen after they released DAoC back to Mythic.

Can't decide if i like it or not tho. might be ok if they don't cluster EU with US as i'm not quite sure i want to see mega zergs 24/7.

The times i do resub to WAR theres actually some ok soloing to be had once in a while, and even tho i obviously lose 95% of them due to playing a Magus i still get some fun out of it.

even fought a few ppl that have put on lower tier gear just to make it slightly more interesting :)

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
daoc eu : good game, not enough players -> move US : good game, more players

WAR eu: shit game, not enough players -> move US: shit game, more players... doesnt really help;)

GReaper

Part of the furniture
I just hope that GOA isn't doing this and preparing for some other MMORPG in the future. Whilst I think we all understand that the WAR gameplay issues are obviously down to Mythic, I still wouldn't trust GOA to run another game.

They're saying that they're just looking in a different direction - hopefully that direction will be away from hosting other companies games with the least amount of effort possible.

Lollie

Loyal Freddie
hope it follows suit like daoc, for some reason i keep comming back to this game but atm t3 is dead the move might perk things up a bit

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
I'll go out on a limb and suggest that this is one of EA's recently announced cuts. I wouldn't be surprised if WAR or even Mythic gets sold off, too.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Its probably simply a case of its not profitable for GOA so GOA handing it back. No hard feelings, just business.

It would take some serious proof of increase in quality to convince me to ever play a Mythic-developed or Mark Jacobs led game again.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
hope it follows suit like daoc, for some reason i keep comming back to this game

yep me to. tho i have to say that the nerf to scenario XP sure as hell isnt making me wanna keep playing..

tried a few t4 scenarios with my lvl 34 BO yesterday and only got 900 XP for a win, last time i played i used to get ~8000 - 12000 xp, with the top damage dealer/healer usually getting over 20k. but even they didnt get more then 2k at best...

so basically its pretty damn pointless to play scenarios for XP now.

wessexcrusader

Fledgling Freddie
What i dont understand, while do none of the MMOs use UK servers. The servers in uk are some of the fastest in the world. Yet not one single english speaking mmo uses them!!!!!! Its madness i tell you. No reason to be in central europe. after all , how do you think people in uk play mmos .

Its one place where we can beat the opposition in a modern 21st century economy built on the service sector and IT

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
What i dont understand, while do none of the MMOs use UK servers. The servers in uk are some of the fastest in the world. Yet not one single english speaking mmo uses them!!!!!! Its madness i tell you. No reason to be in central europe. after all , how do you think people in uk play mmos .

Its one place where we can beat the opposition in a modern 21st century economy built on the service sector and IT

probably not cost effective.

wessexcrusader

Fledgling Freddie
I really get fed up with this cheap cost nonsense. It doesnt mean its any faster or better.

Assuming you people actually work for a living, I assume you will be quite happy if your job was replaced by someone say from china for a 1/4 of price of your wage after all must drive down costs eh.

Thats why where at all possible I 'DYOR' and look for british buys where at all possible. I buy food etc at local farmer markets if i can etc etc. I have my pc's reliably custom built and insist if possible it uk sourced gear. if not european.

I think just for a change UK should stand up and be counted and say right will going to build a superfast highway using british technology (after all the problem with uk is we have great designers and great inovators adn great developers of technology. Our problem is once its built whether its IT , the dot com sells up and then a foreign firm develops its instead or our companies are on an open market so easy to buy out, where as other european countries protect there is or make it difficult for outsiders to take control of companies

Because the UK money earners and enterpreneurs are too busy looking for easy short term profits then long term investments where as most other countries are not. Which is why UK has almost no manufacturing and imports almost everything even though we are one of top countries at R&D

wessexcrusader

Fledgling Freddie
why is it cheaper in germany or france lol what with all their labour laws. UK has one of the most flexible working forces in EUROPE and with the least regulations.

Like many in UK, im a freelance contractor in IT as test analyst.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Use some common sense then.

GOA is a French company, the gaming division of Orange/France Telecom. For them to not host it means they'd have to pay some other provider money for a job they could do themselves.

Then they put all the customer support staff in Ireland, most likely due to different working laws compared to France, and probably lower running costs and lower tax.

wessexcrusader

Fledgling Freddie
but goa arent running anymore :) SO why isnt there anymore a gaming divison for BT - there used to be.

Im surprise with all the money in UK and the many no's of people in UK who are into mmos, there isnt one single mmo in UK. Considering all the IT expertise we have in UK.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Are you doing any research before you rant?

EVE Online is an MMO hosted in London (developed by CCP Games in Iceland), Realtime Worlds are launching All Points Bulletin in a few days time - they're a company based in Scotland.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Are you doing any research before you rant?

EVE Online is an MMO hosted in London (developed by CCP Games in Iceland), Realtime Worlds are launching All Points Bulletin in a few days time - they're a company based in Scotland.

yes, and look at EvE's subscription fee's...

last i played it was quite steep.

wessexcrusader

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm i many take another look then.

Being a freelance IT contractor and im guessing since the subscriptions are higher im guessing EVE gets a more adult kind of player and less irritating wow type annoying teenagers in it. The only thing that annoyed me about eve really was the main humanoid looking race was basically french and as an englishman. Thats almost against my genetic code :-}

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
yep me to. tho i have to say that the nerf to scenario XP sure as hell isnt making me wanna keep playing..

tried a few t4 scenarios with my lvl 34 BO yesterday and only got 900 XP for a win, last time i played i used to get ~8000 - 12000 xp, with the top damage dealer/healer usually getting over 20k. but even they didnt get more then 2k at best...

so basically its pretty damn pointless to play scenarios for XP now.

Thats a pretty poor argument. Scenarios are about pvp rewards, not pve.

You can get 5k per mob in lotd and you get boosted to lvl 40, if you want xp, go pve in lotd.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Thats a pretty poor argument. Scenarios are about pvp rewards, not pve.

You can get 5k per mob in lotd and you get boosted to lvl 40, if you want xp, go pve in lotd.

no, because one of the major selling arguments in WAR were that there would be no difference in levelling up via pvp then pve.

scenarios is (or rather were not) all about pvp rewards. it were supposed to be an alternate way to level up in that were just as good as pve'ing.

Preatoria

Loyal Freddie
why is it cheaper in germany or france lol what with all their labour laws. UK has one of the most flexible working forces in EUROPE and with the least regulations.

Like many in UK, im a freelance contractor in IT as test analyst.

German dc's have/had lower prices compared to the uk.
This explains why blizzard also hosts everything in .de .
Besides, Germany is not bad, they have good routings. I personally prefer a server in Germany to a server in poland, spain, italy, or whatever.

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
Eve-online is hosted in the UK. Docklands I believe is where Tranquility was based. It's recently moved but afaik it's still UK based.

D

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
no, because one of the major selling arguments in WAR were that there would be no difference in levelling up via pvp then pve.

scenarios is (or rather were not) all about pvp rewards. it were supposed to be an alternate way to level up in that were just as good as pve'ing.

Ok then.

Winning a T4 scenario at lvl 40 with 500 points nets me a 12,500xp bonus on top of what I gained naturally (usually 2,000-8,000).

Can't comment on what i actually recieved as im lvl 40, but thats what the board says.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
ah, didnt bother to check the xp bonus at the top of the scoreboard, it never did anything last period i played so i never paid it it any attention, gonna check that next time.

/edit: doesn't seem to be untill after the transition tho, GOA seem to have disabled XP gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom