Glide on a GeForce

W

Wij

I doubt it the GeForce3 (or whatever) will have Glide support. NVidia don't support palletted textures afaik (do I sound clever :D).

Also, why would they want to anyway except in a crappy wrapper way ? You can get Glide wrappers now but they are never gonna be performance kings.

O

old.logic7

Apex, you said:

"I think 3dfx was fed up with openGl and d3d not doing what they wanted and don't forget that d3d is microsoft's and openGL belongs to SG also i think that there were stability probs with the early 3dfx chips and d3d and openGL."

This was not the case. At the time of the introduction of commercial 3D accellerators, OpenGL was not in use for anything other than 3D Animation/Modeling. It was not a component of Windows (Win3.11/Win95a) and DirectX was a nightmare. EVERY 3D card had their own native API. Matrox cards has MSI, Rendition had Redline, 3Dfx had Glide, S3 even had one (for the Virge... the name escapes me). Direct 3D support was secondary. Each vendor tried to push their own API, but due to ease of use, Glide won.

OpenGL was supported by the Permedia 1, Artist Graphics 2000i, Matrox Millenium (horribly slow, but supported) and the Matrox Mystique (even slower still) under Windows NT4 only. Additionally, there was support for Heidi - 3D Studio Max's API.

The first chipsets to market that had no native API was the Riva128 and the i740. They were developed with Direct3D and OpenGL in mind.

Stability is something all cards that have a native API have in common.

When GLQuake appeared, there were no consumer acellerator that could run it correctly. 3Dfx created their "MiniGL" .dll and scored a major win over all other cards. Then ID released VQuake, a version specifically made for Rendition V1000/V2x00 cards. It didn't catch on due to the availability of cards.

E

Embattle

The glide wrapper for creative GF cards is crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom