Glide on a GeForce

S

Stazbumpa

I just got Unreal Tourney, but I have to run it in Direct 3D and it looks pants. It is also a tad jerky when playing.

I have a 3dBlaster Geforce2 MX card and was wondering if there are any Glide drivers available for it.

Any help would be great.

Luv and hugz
Staz
xxx

T

Testin da Cable

jerky?
hmm dunno bout that m8 :)
i wuvs my gForce DDR. it doesn't know the meaning of the word jerky and runs allus fine

O

old.g-stoic

Glide only on 3dfx

Hiya m8,

The Glide thingy is only available for 3dfx based cards like the voodoos. nVidia based cards in this case only support D3D and OpenGL.

UT can be jerky if you have a low end system, e.g., a PII 233-300 (like me :)), even with an awesome card. Moreover, UT is tuned towards Glide as it's based on the original Unreal engine, and hence will perform better in Glide. I hope they build the Unreal2 Engine from scratch - read D3D/OpenGL based; soz Glide phreaks :p -.

Btw, a question to you Gliders out there... can you also run 3D apps in D3D/OpenGL mode? If so, what does Glide offer more such that it's supported at all?

{G}Stoic

S

Stazbumpa

thanks 4 the input. I've decided that I need a new 'pute anyway. I was on an old K6-2 300 so that may have been part of the prob as you suggested. Looks like the Duron 750 is calling me from the void.

Spend spend spend methinks :)

Luv and hugz
Staz
xxx

O

old.TUG

Goto creatives site and get the 'unified' drivers. They're a glide wrap so let you run glide based games (apparently)

They might work, they might not. :)

O

old.g-stoic

Not fast prolly

Originally posted by TUG
Goto creatives site and get the 'unified' drivers. They're a glide wrap so let you run glide based games (apparently)

They might work, they might not. :)

Hmm didn't know that, but then again they can never be as fast as 3dfx which supports native glide. I guess the emulation will not be much of a help in terms of performance =). But you could give it a shot of course.

O

old.TUG

I've used 'em but I didn't really do any benchmarking... some games didn't work with 'em though which was an arse cuz it defeated the point of drivers for 3dfx only games :)

They're pretty quick though... maybe it was http://www.anandtech.com that took a look a year or so ago and compared them to a proper 3dfx card @ about the same speed as the nvidia card they used.

O

old.logic7

Just a trivia point:

The Unreal engine has 3 native renderers - Software, Glide, and Power VR SGL.

O

old.Cryton

You'll get more out of UT with a better processor than a top-notch graphics card.

O

old.-=Apex=-

Re: Glide only on 3dfx

Originally posted by g-stoic
Hiya m8,

The Glide thingy is only available for 3dfx based cards like the voodoos. nVidia based cards in this case only support D3D and OpenGL.

UT can be jerky if you have a low end system, e.g., a PII 233-300 (like me :)), even with an awesome card. Moreover, UT is tuned towards Glide as it's based on the original Unreal engine, and hence will perform better in Glide. I hope they build the Unreal2 Engine from scratch - read D3D/OpenGL based; soz Glide phreaks :p -.

Btw, a question to you Gliders out there... can you also run 3D apps in D3D/OpenGL mode? If so, what does Glide offer more such that it's supported at all?

{G}Stoic

I'ts cos glide is way more stable than d3d/openGL. What it offers over them two is that it is easer to program for (from what i have been told) theres proberly more reason but i can not name them off the top of my head :)

H

HangTime

logic7: dont forget s3 metal :)

as apex says glide is supposedly easier to program for (according to Sweeney at least). personally i think developers should support glide provided it doesnt extend development time too much... sure it only helps one bunch of cards, but it is very fast on 3dfx cards and they have a large user base. imo just coding for d3d/ogl is the lazy option; much as in the past developing games where glide was the only 3d support (circa '97-early 98) was also a bit of an easy way out. d3d wasnt so progressed/supported at the time but id showed that ogl support could work with glquake.

O

old.-=Apex=-

Other reasons.

The glide api was designed for the 3dfx chip set from the ground up ie the chip was made for the api and the api was made for the chip

I think 3dfx was fed up with openGl and d3d not doing what they wanted and don't forget that d3d is microsoft's and openGL belongs to SG also i think that there were stability probs with the early 3dfx chips and d3d and openGL.

Am sure there are other reasons.

B

bodhi

I have 3 letters for anyone who plays UT. S L I :D. Yes you guessed it, the old trusty powerhouse of a pair of voodoo 2's running in Glide mode will generally rip the arse out of just about any modern (non 3dfx) graphics card. And all this for 200 quid less than a Voodoo 5, plus you get to keep your nVIDIlame GFX for non-glide games. Sorted innit :)

W

Wij

Um, no.

I had Dual Voodii a while back but after the third demo release (I think it was the third) I got better performance with the TNT2Ultra I had at the time. Didn't look as nice admittedly but more frames. Now I'm a couple of GeForce models on I can't imagine how poor V2 SLI must perform in comparison :| Voodoo 3 is fine for UT. Voodoo 2 is a bit nob imo.

O

Ono

I have a GF2 GTS.

I have also downloaded this Glidewrapper thing. Can I use it?

S

Stazbumpa

I got me new pute (T-bird 800) but the bleeding thing is still shite. Tried the anandtech webby but I can't find the glidewrap doobrie.

Help me??

btw, good to c u on that CS server the other day Ono :)

O

old.g-stoic

Re: Re: Glide only on 3dfx

Originally posted by -=Apex=-

I'ts cos glide is way more stable than d3d/openGL. What it offers over them two is that it is easer to program for (from what i have been told) theres proberly more reason but i can not name them off the top of my head :)

Ermmm.. what do you mean with more stable.. like less crashes or summit? I dunno about the programming bit, cause I neva programmed against neither of the three =].

O

old.g-stoic

Originally posted by stazbumpa
I got me new pute (T-bird 800) but the bleeding thing is still shite. Tried the anandtech webby but I can't find the glidewrap doobrie.

Help me??

btw, good to c u on that CS server the other day Ono :)

Is it as shite as it was before? I don't know what your expectations are, but nVidia drivers don't seem to handle textures very well. Here's some info from anadtech:

Once again, UnrealTournament proves to appreciate no card other than the Voodoo5. The Radeon seems to love the 1GHz Thunderbird and jumps up right behind the Voodoo5 and even surpasses it in 32-bit color. The GeForce2 Ultra is clearly behind the Radeon. We managed to talk to Epic about this and according to them, NVIDIA's drivers don't handle textures as well as ATI's and 3dfx's, and since UT is a very texture intensive game this could explain why all the NVIDIA cards are behind by such a large amount.

The link is here:
http://www1.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1298&p=11.

Although with a T-Bird 800Mhz and a Geforce 2 MX you should get some 50+ fps. See, e.g., this link:
http://www1.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1266&p=18.

Laterz,

O

old.-=Apex=-

Re: Re: Re: Glide only on 3dfx

Originally posted by g-stoic
Originally posted by -=Apex=-

Ermmm.. what do you mean with more stable.. like less crashes or summit? I dunno about the programming bit, cause I neva programmed against neither of the three =].

In a nutshell yes.

T

Testin da Cable

anyone of you peeps actually have a v5 and is willing to shed light on it's performance?

par example: i own a gForce DDR. it r0x. i play UT openGL 800x600 full eyecandy 70+fps maxing out at around 150fps.
i'm not planning to upgrade anytime soon, i just want to know what the v5 does without having to read the salescrappy.

ta

-tdc

O

old.Scum

Attn: Stazbumpa

Lo

The glide wrapper probably won't help you, as all it is going to do is translate Glide calls into Direct3D or OpenGL calls.

To make an Athlon run games at a decent speed you have to install the right drivers. On my system I have installed

- 4in1425a.zip (4-in-1 drivers)
- VAGP403D.exe (Via AGP driver)

As far as I know this what you need at a minimum. If you dont install these your system will run like absolute crap.

Have a look at <url>http://www.athlonoc.com</url>. There might be a FAQ or something there to tell you how to tweak your system.

If you're using Win95, you're snookered, as the AGP stuff only works properly on Win98, I think.

T

Testin da Cable

followthru...

staz, hows it working m8?

T

throdgrain

hey! i'm one of them rare ppl got a voodoo 5! i only got pony 400 celly processor tho' and tbh ut looks real good but goes dead slow! any help?

S

Stazbumpa

Get a faster CPU m8. The V5 needs a faster CPU to supply the data to it coz it don't have a CPU independant graphics proccessor that the Ge Force does. Thats why NVIDIA currenty rule the world of gaming and, amusingly, own 3DFX.

T

Testin da Cable

I wouldn't mind seeing that happen.

-tdc

Users who are viewing this thread