Glazer controls Man Utd

xane

Fledgling Freddie
JingleBells said:
The day you dropped "Football Club" from your badge was the start of a dodgy slope tbh.

This is precisely it. Nothing describes the word chutzpah quite as much as Manchester United fans who lauded their winning team when it took full advantage of it's lofty position in the investment market to buy players, staff and facilities no other club could dream about, then whine when that same investment falls prey to takeover.

Live by the sword ...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
xane said:
This is precisely it. Nothing describes the word chutzpah quite as much as Manchester United fans who lauded their winning team when it took full advantage of it's lofty position in the investment market to buy players, staff and facilities no other club could dream about, then whine when that same investment falls prey to takeover.

Live by the sword ...

You're missing the point. I don't have a problem with Man U's position in the investment market as it stands, and I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with someone buying it out; it's this someone that's a disaster; the man's basically a slum landlord made good who's using United as a vehicle to offload debt. I think saying "ha, ha you should take it on the chin" is a silly sentiment, would you?

Marc

FH is my second home
If those 2 oirish race horse geezers truly cared about man utd, they wouldnt have sold their shares to this man. But they have already admitted they dont and their shares were only an investment. These 2 are the ones who have come out best.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
nakkiel said:
please explain with your extensive football and financial knowledge how this is true

Well, the offside rule works like this:

Man Utd are the most profitable football club in the world. Money is as much their primary business as football now. They've encouraged it, manipulated it and made a huge amount of money from it. They're at the top of the financial tree and thus bear a massive responsibility for being there - and dragging the rest of the football industry with it. Sure, they're not the only ones, but they've pushed for it and they continue to push for more.

The transformation of football from game into faceless business, although inevitable, has been dramatically accelerated by their enthusiastic inflation of wage bills and transfer fees. Like I say, it made you very rich and bought you success, but you must be living blind if you didn't think about the other side of being a business rather than a sports club.

Business does not reward nice people, never has, probably never will. You spied a pot of gold and pursued money over the integrity of the sport and now you're being bought out by someone who from all reports just wants to use you for their own business purposes. But that's the price you were paying when you gloriously embraced your profitability. Business is unemotional, ruthless and has as little care for the emotional impact of customers as is possible. Football (the game) is completely juxtaposed against that, but yet you weren't outside Old Trafford protesting then, were you?

You are a business, not a football club. That's all top-league football is now. Get over it, or fight it properly. Taking out your aggression on those of us raising a wry smile to football's self-destruction isn't going fix it.

Thinking about it, it's as if the current run of Bud/Premier League adverts are a prophecy. Full time multi-ball anyone?

xane

Fledgling Freddie
DaGaffer said:
You're missing the point. I don't have a problem with Man U's position in the investment market as it stands, and I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with someone buying it out; it's this someone that's a disaster; the man's basically a slum landlord made good who's using United as a vehicle to offload debt. I think saying "ha, ha you should take it on the chin" is a silly sentiment, would you?

Can't you understand that going into the stock market is risking exactly what is happening here ? The more successful you are the more likely something like this happens.

To say "I don't have a problem with this position" means exactly that, you shouldn't have a problem with investment sharks either.

Do you think every stock holder has got shares because of the love of their team, or do you think many were patiently waiting this day so they could make a killing ? The fact they are willing to sell to Glazier should give you a clue.

If you want protected investments, you do not go public.

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
I totally agree with Shovel and Xane. It is bad for the club, but It was an inevitable consequence of being a very big business with an easily marketable product. Someone else pointed out on another forum, regardless how many goons burn their Season Ticket Renewal forms...regardless how much tickets prices rise....there will still be 67,000 fans who want to watch a game at Old Trafford.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You should be looking at the poeple that profited from the club turning into a PLC in the first place Xane ( Martin Edwards). I don't give a damn if they are a PLC or not, but Malcom Glazer is just bringing in a lot of debt, and is going to want huge turnover to cover it. That is far worse for football than the slow decline its facing anyway. Can you imagine if Glazer decides he wants an exclusive deal for TV rights, and gives the Premier League the finger?

nakkiel

Fledgling Freddie
Marc said:
If those 2 oirish race horse geezers truly cared about man utd, they wouldnt have sold their shares to this man. But they have already admitted they dont and their shares were only an investment. These 2 are the ones who have come out best.

was never any question that they cared about united. An arsenal and a liverpool fan says it all. They're businessmen and in it for the money only and can't really be blamed for selling out. If anyone should be blamed its Martin edwards for doing what he did to the club in the first place

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Can you imagine if Glazer decides he wants an exclusive deal for TV rights, and gives the Premier League the finger?

It wouldn't be the first time the finger appeared, I recall one season where they couldn't be arsed to play in the FA Cup, plus several threats of creating a breakaway European super league ?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The threat of the European breakaway was all the g-13 clubs, not just Man Utd.

The FA supported the move to play in the stupid world tournament rather than the FA cup. They were under pressure from FIFA and UEFa who wanted a succesful mini-tournament.

nakkiel

Fledgling Freddie
Shovel said:
Well, the offside rule works like this:

Man Utd are the most profitable football club in the world. Money is as much their primary business as football now. They've encouraged it, manipulated it and made a huge amount of money from it. They're at the top of the financial tree and thus bear a massive responsibility for being there - and dragging the rest of the football industry with it. Sure, they're not the only ones, but they've pushed for it and they continue to push for more.

The transformation of football from game into faceless business, although inevitable, has been dramatically accelerated by their enthusiastic inflation of wage bills and transfer fees.

HAHA no thats real madrid you're talking about. And as for players wages, the reason we missed out on signing players like Thuram, salas and rivaldo was because the board wouldnt allow the high wages these world class players were demanding. Instead we got the likes of poborsky and little jordi cryff :eek2:

Shovel said:
Business does not reward nice people, never has, probably never will. You spied a pot of gold and pursued money over the integrity of the sport

classic

Shovel said:
Football (the game) is completely juxtaposed against that, but yet you weren't outside Old Trafford protesting then, were you?

no. i'm willing to wait and see what happens, and if he runs the club into the ground, i still have to pay my bills

Shovel said:
You are a business, not a football club. That's all top-league football is now. Get over it, or fight it properly. Taking out your aggression on those of us raising a wry smile to football's self-destruction isn't going fix it.

not taking any aggression out on anyone. you'd have to pop down to our local for that. It's more a case of laughing at the anti-united brigade and to bait them as much as possible. people still don't get what its all about for united fans

nakkiel

Fledgling Freddie
maxi said:
. Someone else pointed out on another forum, regardless how many goons burn their Season Ticket Renewal forms...regardless how much tickets prices rise....there will still be 67,000 fans who want to watch a game at Old Trafford.

someone talking sense. There was supposedly going to be a boycott at the west brom game. what happened? nothing. sweet f.a.
can only hope that all this fuss gets the prawn sandwich crowd out of old trafford for good

nakkiel

Fledgling Freddie
Ch3tan said:
The threat of the European breakaway was all the g-13 clubs, not just Man Utd.

The FA supported the move to play in the stupid world tournament rather than the FA cup. They were under pressure from FIFA and UEFa who wanted a succesful mini-tournament.

plus the added pressure from the government because they were desperate to get the revenue a world cup in england would have brought. But people never take these things into consideration and as always its "Waaaah united blame them waaah its their fault i lost my job/wife/money waaah"

And we love it :clap:

nakkiel

Fledgling Freddie
xane said:
It wouldn't be the first time the finger appeared, I recall one season where they couldn't be arsed to play in the FA Cup, plus several threats of creating a breakaway European super league ?

:rolleyes:

Clown

Part of the furniture
nakkiel said:
HAHA no thats real madrid you're talking about. And as for players wages, the reason we missed out on signing players like Thuram, salas and rivaldo was because the board wouldnt allow the high wages these world class players were demanding. Instead we got the likes of poborsky and little jordi cryff :eek2:

classic

no. i'm willing to wait and see what happens, and if he runs the club into the ground, i still have to pay my bills

not taking any aggression out on anyone. you'd have to pop down to our local for that. It's more a case of laughing at the anti-united brigade and to bait them as much as possible. people still don't get what its all about for united fans

Clown

Part of the furniture
nakkiel said:
someone talking sense. There was supposedly going to be a boycott at the west brom game. what happened? nothing. sweet f.a.
can only hope that all this fuss gets the prawn sandwich crowd out of old trafford for good

Clown

Part of the furniture
nakkiel said:
plus the added pressure from the government because they were desperate to get the revenue a world cup in england would have brought. But people never take these things into consideration and as always its "Waaaah united blame them waaah its their fault i lost my job/wife/money waaah"

And we love it :clap:
:clap::rolleyes:

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well, if it does have an adverse affect on United, I won't mind too much. Its about time the football league had a mix-up.

If they're moaning about the price of mechandise, well they're the daft fuckers that buy it in the first place.

Oh, and congrats to Wigan!

nakkiel

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
If they're moaning about the price of mechandise, well they're the daft fuckers that buy it in the first place.

heh it's not your typical united fan that spends the money on merchandising. wearing colours isnt worth the trouble when you go to away grounds. It's the foreigners that come to manchester and spend hours in the megastore, and they'll do it whether glazier is there or not.
let em pay for my team i say

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Ch3tan said:
I like your assumption that you were the only kid that saw a good team or player and decided to support that club. Obvisouly everyone else that supports distant teams does so because of the evils of television and because they are glory hunting.

But of course your right, what happens to Bodhi only happens to Bodhi.

Yes clearly. It's what elevates me above the rest of you peons.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
At the end of the day in order for Glazer to achieve what he wants the club must be successful. He obviosuly has no intentions of taking over the club to run it to the ground because he will never make any money out of it.

So I think people should just wait and see. Ferguson wasnt gonna have any money to spend this summer on players, he has now been promised 20m. Transfer fees on a whole are dropping, with the exception of Chelsea who seem desperate to spend the most amount of money on the worlds worst players. So Fergy should be able to bring in a couple fresh faces to add to the squad.

People are not gonna pay sky high season ticket prices if they are a middle of the table team not challenging for trophies. So he is gonna have to allow the club to grow aswell to bring the cash in. Amercians while a tad naive aint gonna buy into something that is shite. Glazer wants to sell them the worlds greatest/biggest football team, to do this they need success.

While he may be a cock there is no doubting the guy knows what he is doing. cause if there was nothing to it we'd all be multi millionaires buying footie clubs.

Give it a season before making knee jerk reactions about what his evil plan is. The kick up the arse may just be what Utd need to get back where they should be Top of the Pile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom