Glastonbury

N

Nymrin

It is, from what I gather, encouraged by GOA/Mythic that other languages than the server's language is taken in non-public chats. I'm Swedish, there are a lot of Swedes in Dark Age of Camelot, yet I can keep to English all the time without a problem. I am sure those who choose the server could do the same. Guild Wars split it up into districts, because it was causing conflict.

Anytime French is spoken, we might as well get a "Player1 speaks in a language you don't understand." instead, because it's just as giving to me, who knows nothing more than how to ask people to sleep with me in French.

I grouped with a French sorceress and we exchanged the name of a named mob, grouped, killed it together without having to really communicate. However, when RvR comes together, I want my fellow people to understand the simplistic commands in English. The question is, will I understand the French tactical talk they normally take in group? The answer is "non".

Skirne

Fledgling Freddie
Neo said:
Jeezus fking christ.. ur just asking for a ban aint ya ?
I smell booze ye ?

No booze, I just felt like typing it out. Thanks for all the lovely replies.

On topic: I'm Norwegian, so I have to speak English all the time, no matter what server I am on. This works just fine for me. I've played on US servers, where everyone would use english, everyone actually did, which was nice.

We should not at all give the french 100% of the blame for this, most of it goes to their government for not teaching the population proper english in the first place. But MMOs can be such a nice place to inprove english skills, and it is bad for the french MMOers that they miss this. In fact, it's bad for the germans too.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
I have no problem with the French players on Glasto. Most of them have far better English language skills than I do French! Also they will almost always make an effort to speak English in groups for you and will work to make sure they are understood. I have often found it helps to try a little schoolboy French if the opportunity arises. Even if you sound like a pratt, it really seems to please people that you are making an effort.

Xenophobic bitching on public forums gets people nowhere.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
The UK has traditionally been one of the most backwards countries in Europe at bothering to learn anyone else's languages. In fact the prevailing attitude in the UK appears to be that everyone else should just speak English, the inference being that then we don't have to make the effort. This is bullshit, and pure ignorance/laziness.

Instead of just sitting on our arses expecting everyone else to learn 'our' language, we should be ashamed of ourselves, as a nation, for being so crap at learning anyone else's. How much of the assumed dominance of English is down to America's dominance of so much of the media? Which is an interesting point at a time when English is close to becoming a second language (to Spanish) in North America as a whole, even if English is the official language of the country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom