gig photographs

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
deathboy22.jpg

deathboy6.jpg

all taken with Canon EOS 10D using a sigma 21-105mm 2.8-4 asymetric lens
No flash using iso 800 for the most part.
http://www.yaruar.dircon.co.uk/deathboy/
for the full gallery
Gig photography is one of my true passions and I've been doing it a few years now and I'm still only beginning to get to grips with it. I'll probably add stuff to this thread as I process more shoots.
The band are deathboy, an up and coming guitar based industrial band whom I've done album and promo work with before. Very good and worth checking out.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Not sure I like the blue one, but the red one is very nice. I think the problem with the blue one is that there is quite a lot of light in the background, but very little of it on the subject.

Woo yay btw.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Tom said:
Not sure I like the blue one, but the red one is very nice. I think the problem with the blue one is that there is quite a lot of light in the background, but very little of it on the subject.

Woo yay btw.

It was a tricky gig to photograph because of the smoke. Flash was totally out of the question, as the smoke would have created too much reflection.

I try to work with the light in gigs. I'm going to try to hunt through the 1000's of frames I've got stored and get the best up here for people to comment on as it's always useful to get other peoples opinions.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
What I meant was, that the image would be improved considerably (IMO) if the subject had had a little bit of backlight, or halo, on him. I understand that such things are impossible to arrange in advance, but the red picture is very good.

Looking at the blue one again, perhaps you should consider cropping it?

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Tom said:
What I meant was, that the image would be improved considerably (IMO) if the subject had had a little bit of backlight, or halo, on him. I understand that such things are impossible to arrange in advance, but the red picture is very good.

Looking at the blue one again, perhaps you should consider cropping it?

Unfortunately I'm stubborn when it comes to my photographs and refuse to crop or photoshop (apart from resizing) my images. I know far too many photographers who produce all their stunning work in post production and processing of the image.

I know what you mean about the halo though. I've got some stunning photographs of the same band from last year where I've actually got a perfect halo effect around the bassists head. Unfortunately they're on my main website which I forgot to pay for at the end of last year, so it's currently offline ;-)

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Talking of lighting, just remembered this. One of my favourite lit photographs.
Taken using a canon EOS 100 with a lens at 200mm F4.6 using fuji superia 800 film. Was a tricky set because most of the lighting was behind and I was manually focusing the entire set for control reasons.
manuskript33.jpg

Tom

I am a FH squatter
yaruar said:
Unfortunately I'm stubborn when it comes to my photographs and refuse to crop or photoshop (apart from resizing) my images. I know far too many photographers who produce all their stunning work in post production and processing of the image.

Well, the thing is, that cropping an image isn't really any different to framing on location. So long as the end result is improved, then surely its a sensible process? I draw the line at touching up images in photoshop, but I occasionally muck around with contrast, film has its limits.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Tom said:
Well, the thing is, that cropping an image isn't really any different to framing on location. So long as the end result is improved, then surely its a sensible process? I draw the line at touching up images in photoshop, but I occasionally muck around with contrast, film has its limits.

I do think that it has it's place. But on a personal level I'm trying to reach the point where I don't need to enhance or improve (impossible, but the best goals are)
It's a personal challenge I set up for myself when I started this journey. When working for others on commissions, etc I will crop for effect if I have to, but I want to get to the point where that is minimal, if that makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom