I bought a totally new computer system with the following specs:

MSI 865P NEO MOBO
PIV 3.0 Ghz
1 GB 400mhz DDR RAM
RADEON 9600 PRO 128 MB
400W PSU

Installed all on a new empty HD, windows XP SP1

The problem is the following:

In certain games and benchmarks, i got graphical flaws. Triangles and flashing backgrounds, lines drawn from objects and such.

Upgraded every driver but still got it :/

although i dont got any problems in daoc, i have it in other games and for a brand new system it is not really fun to have :/

Please help

TIA

D

Deadmanwalking

Ok first question: Have you overclocked your graphics card?

If so crank the speeds down a little.

If not i would suspect overheating. Make sure that not only the CPU but also the GFX card has good cooling and airflow. Lots of case fans and nothing obstructing the flow of cool air to or hot air away from the GFX card.

If possible try and keep the PCI slot adjacent to the AGP slot free.

Hope this helps

C

chretien

Also what version of DirectX are you running?
You can find out by going to Start -> Run then type dxdiag. This will bring up a test window that will display the version of DirectX and also let you test the various modes. In my experience you should always reinstall directx after a graphics driver update anyhow.

A

-ag-bometal

Originally posted by Deadmanwalking
Ok first question: Have you overclocked your graphics card?

If so crank the speeds down a little.

If not i would suspect overheating. Make sure that not only the CPU but also the GFX card has good cooling and airflow. Lots of case fans and nothing obstructing the flow of cool air to or hot air away from the GFX card.

If possible try and keep the PCI slot adjacent to the AGP slot free.

Hope this helps

Not overclocked

Hav a chieftec case with loads of coolers (case coolers)

sucking cold air in below (really feels cold to) in case and blowing above hot air out.

Case temperature 27° CPU: 40°

Also what version of DirectX are you running?

DX 9

D

Deadmanwalking

Well overheating is still a slim possibility,but it may be down to power.

Either AGP voltage (Very Unlikely) or your psu isn't up to the job.

How many HDD, CD/DVD, etc do you have currently plugged in?

C

chretien

On the subject of power, it's worth noting that raw wattage alone isn't actually that important. One of the most important stats for a psu is often left out of the writeup - the current from the 12v line. If your psu isn't pumping out at least 1.1 amps on that line then it may well be inadequate even if it's rated at 350w+.
I found this out the hard way when I bought a case with a generic 350w power supply that simply wasn't beefy enough. I replaced it with an Enermax 350w power supply churning out more juice and my problems were solved.

A

-ag-bometal

Originally posted by Deadmanwalking
Well overheating is still a slim possibility,but it may be down to power.

Either AGP voltage (Very Unlikely) or your psu isn't up to the job.

How many HDD, CD/DVD, etc do you have currently plugged in?

2 HD (80 GB / 200 GB)

1 CD RW

1 DVD

Power should be fine, bought a real expensive PSU unit with internal fans and such...

C

chretien

Try disconnecting some of the internal fans, the optical drives and whichever of the HDDs doesn't have your OS on it and see if the problem persists.

A

-ag-bometal

How much must be AGP voltage btw ? it is 1.5 now, can make it higher in bios ?

C

chretien

Depends on your card. I'd stick with the defaults if I were you. To be honest it's very likely to be a glitch with software rather than a hardware failing.
You say you have the latest drivers, are they the latest ATi ones or the latest ones from your card manufacturer?
If they are the ATi ones see if installing ones from the card maker gives a difference. Also if they aren't signed then try rolling back to the last set that were.

A

-ag-bometal

Originally posted by chretien
Try disconnecting some of the internal fans, the optical drives and whichever of the HDDs doesn't have your OS on it and see if the problem persists.

Problems persist

You say you have the latest drivers, are they the latest ATi ones or the latest ones from your card manufacturer?

Tryed both, both digital signed, both same results

B

boni_ofdavoid

Your problem is your graphics card drivers.

The symptoms you describe (lines going from stuff, triangles etc), are classic typical signs that your drivers are bad.

Cant help you more than that, dont know which drivers you have or should have, but I am 99% sure that is your problem having seen a LOT of driver hickups in my time.

It is cetainly not todo with power / overclocking etc, rofl.

A

-ag-bometal

Hmmm tryed loads of drivers

mailed ATI, they blame it on MSI

mailed MSI, they blame it on ATI

and the circle is complete :/

Nerf driver probs

Why cant we all just get along :p

C

Cloak_

TBH sounds like the RAM on the gfx card is at fault m8, suggest swapping it for a new 1 and trying that.

Used a 9600pro myself for a while and never had a glitch - even overclocked the memory by around 16% b4 getting any artifacts.

My money is on the RAM anyway :p

N

Nazgul

if u mess with things like RAM on your graphics card it is sure to violate any warrenties you have on the card

C

Cloak_

Yea it would kill any warantee you have,

Bit hard to prove that some1 overclocked the ram on a gfx card :x

Neway I work for the place that I buy em from lol

O

Onedda

shot in the dark.

have u set the memory timings right ???

i.e 1/1 or 1/4 something like that in the bios.

its the speed for agp and pci or cpu bus might be worth a check.

btw tou also could check out www.omegacorner.com as they do optimized drivers for ATI and also Nvidea and also bios settings for your mobo.

like i say worth a check if at all it dont fix you will get some info from ther.

N

nogri

i bought a pc from dell with a radeon 9800 and i have the same problems as you described since day 1 of it arriving though i dont have much pc know how i have updated drivers and so on but i still have the probs :(

F

FoXeH

ive got a 9600 too and sometimes peices of ground disapear and triangles come out of the ground and such, nerf :(
seems to only happen when my pc has been on a while maybe around 4 hours +

M

Mardukk

Well I had the same problem than you(But my card is a 9000 pro).I upgraded directx x , tested the latest drivers etc but I solved It reinstalling the original drivers from the CD of my card .Hope it helps.

C

ChillyDawg

maybe 9600s are shite? Its a possibility i suppose....

G

Galewyr Dark

i had this kidna problem with my radeon when i got it.

I returned it to the company..i think it was MSi or somone and bought a higher priced card from hercules [top company] only trouble i have with it is that i must use Herc drivers...but seeing as they churn out the drivers almost the same day its not usually a problem. So imo.

Get a card swap out with ur vendor..if that doesn't work its looking like either ram [system] or meby something else.

But b4 u try that lot try the 3.4 Catalyst drivers..i found them the most stable drivers for the radeons. Be sure to uninstall the current drivers 1st tho and give the pc a reboot b4 u install the 3.4 + Control panel drivers

-Gale

S

soru

There is a known problem with radeon9600(pro) cards.
What u have to do is under the drivers, select SMARTGART, then lower agp speed from 8x to 4x, and put fast writes off. (reboot machine afterwards)
Also put fast writes off in the bios of ur machine.
Should fix ur problems.

B

boni_ofdavoid

Originally posted by soru
There is a known problem with radeon9600(pro) cards.
What u have to do is under the drivers, select SMARTGART, then lower agp speed from 8x to 4x, and put fast writes off. (reboot machine afterwards)
Also put fast writes off in the bios of ur machine.
Should fix ur problems.

Oh driver settings! A new thing to go wrong with drivers :D Yay for PCs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom