GFX Card

Graveland

Fledgling Freddie
Im having 2.0ghz, 512ddr 333mhz kingston, 7200rps 80gt hd and Ati Radeon 9200 128mb gfx-card. Now you would propably think that this setup runs DAoC smoothly with winXP, but it doesnt. Fps is quite horrible (around 20) with ToA and SI client, in windowed mode (1024 and 1152 reso).

I have heard rumours that Radeons dont work so well with DAoC, could this be the problem? 9200 is quite the bulkmodel of the high-memory radeons, and doesn't perform all too well on me atleast. Newest drivers and dx ofcourse.

I'm looking into buying another gfx-card now that I've got some money, any good tips? I can't afford to buy the latest late, but if you have good recommendations on non-radeon cards that run DAoC smoothly with pretty much the same setup as I have, please do post here.

CliffyG

Fledgling Freddie
I have a 9800 non pro and it runs fine at highest settings apart from when enetering camelot and the housing zone for the first time. They are pretty cheap these days too and easily flashed to Pro speeds.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
9200 is a bit old now i think .. 9600 is a nice card .. i got a 9800xt and can run 2 accounts smooth (ie able to use stick between them) 3000xp barton cpu as well tho probably helps.

Pogel

Fledgling Freddie
If you haven't already, try the NT4 compatibility hack. It improved performance for me and others running on WinXP big style.

Go to your short-cut and choose properties, then go to the compatibility tab, switch on compatibility and set it to NT4. You should see a big improvement.

Gamah

Banned
I got a 3000xp and radeon 9800 Pr0 run the game as smooth as a babys behind :)

The 180gbSata drive helps too :p

Gamah

Banned
Pogel said:
If you haven't already, try the NT4 compatibility hack. It improved performance for me and others running on WinXP big style.

Go to your short-cut and choose properties, then go to the compatibility tab, switch on compatibility and set it to NT4. You should see a big improvement.

More a tweek than a "hack" but alas I digress ;)

Pogel

Fledgling Freddie
I prefer "hack", in the sense that it's a crude, brute force, inelegant solution to a problem. "Tweak" implies that you're fine tuning something that's designed in.

CliffyG

Fledgling Freddie
I thought the hack was implemented in the game as standard in 1.68?

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
My 9800 runs great and more importantly looks far better than my GeForce card. I'm assuming that the card is working fine in other games?

Oh and for ATI fans - spot the difference between old graphics card and new:

Nvidia V ATI

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Kami said:
My 9800 runs great and more importantly looks far better than my GeForce card. I'm assuming that the card is working fine in other games?

Oh and for ATI fans - spot the difference between old graphics card and new:

Nvidia V ATI
erm yes that difference is obvious cause your new one is a dx9 card and your old one wasn't so it didnt take advantage of the dx9 code

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
exactly!

I posted it because I know many people wonder why they should bother upgrading at all. I wasn't expecting such a difference in quality when I went from DX8 GF card to a DX9 ATI card :) I've also noticed a nice improvement when someone zergs me in rvr, granted I still die horribly but now I'm afforded the luxury of almost but not quite decent framerates whilst I'm mezzed ;)

Sadly however my old faithful GF4 card never did stand up to my mates DX8 ATI card in terms of texture quality. Still it did the job for 2 years so can't complain.

Pogel

Fledgling Freddie
CliffyG said:
I thought the hack was implemented in the game as standard in 1.68?
It's in the 1.69 patch notes, so a bit more to wait.

Gamah

Banned
Pogel said:
I prefer "hack", in the sense that it's a crude, brute force, inelegant solution to a problem. "Tweak" implies that you're fine tuning something that's designed in.

RAWR after reading that I wanna watch rambo or even better the one and only http://www.chucknorris.com/

finbarr

Fledgling Freddie
my 9800XT is dragging its arse since toa ive got a 9700pro in other machine and makes it look like a waste of my money buying the 9800XT
having triangles eminating from every characters head isnt what a 9800Xt is supposed to do tried all drivers and latest direct x
any suggestions welcome

Master Pimp

Banned
tbh i would not recommand that u get the Ati Radeon i think there a pile of wank i live and die by nvidia

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
finbarr said:
my 9800XT is dragging its arse since toa ive got a 9700pro in other machine and makes it look like a waste of my money buying the 9800XT
having triangles eminating from every characters head isnt what a 9800Xt is supposed to do tried all drivers and latest direct x
any suggestions welcome

sounds like artifacts produced by over clocking maybe or a heat issue with your case ..

either that or a duff card that needs to be rma'd

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom