GFX card problems

Deepfried

One of Freddy's beloved
Hi all
got bluescreen last night whilst playing age of conan
happily playing for an hour then screen went a little crazy and pc went to bluescreen then rebooted
it happened once before so i reinstalled everything and started pc from scratch again.then it happened again same thing screen goes mad then bluescreen.
i have quadcore2.5 9800gt gfx 8gig ram and using xp so shouls have no problems running the game
is it a problem with my gfx card or windows
any input would be great
deepfried

Hi all
got bluescreen last night whilst playing age of conan
happily playing for an hour then screen went a little crazy and pc went to bluescreen then rebooted
it happened once before so i reinstalled everything and started pc from scratch again.then it happened again same thing screen goes mad then bluescreen.
i have quadcore2.5 9800gt gfx 8gig ram and using xp so shouls have no problems running the game
is it a problem with my gfx card or windows
any input would be great
deepfried

Well first of all Windows Xplorer cannot run 8 gigs of ram, all it can allocate is 3 gigs, this is due to it beeing 32 bit OS so not enough memory adressess.

AoC an other new games are infested with problems related to BSOD and "driver stoped responding". I havn't been able to run Age of Conan problem free during SLI since the closed beta.

I would say it is a driver + OS incompability issue in your case, and it will not improve.

Deepfried

One of Freddy's beloved
thanks for the reply
spoke to a few friends who said the same thing
shame i can not use vista as some programs i use mostly music programs are not vista comp so vista is a no go
they did suggest maybe the gfx card was getting too hot and causing the crash but as i played AOC for 3months now and only happened in last week
i'm guessing it must be a gfx card problem
thanks again :)
deepfried

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
So it worked fine for 3 months, then it went screwy, correct?

Some food for thought:

Have you checked your GPU core operating temps?

Have you installed any new hardware recently?

Are you using a stock cooler or a bought one on your CPU?

Have you updated your drivers or BIOS recently?

Are you overclocking?

Have you checked your RAM sticks (removing one at a time)?

Have you checked your case for dust or cooling fans not working properly (including CPU and GPU)?

Have you checked the games website for such problems on their technical forum (if they have one)?

Google your problem, i just did and found hundreds of posts from players having various BSOD problems with AoC.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Google your problem, i just did and found hundreds of posts from players having various BSOD problems with AoC.
Hate AoC crappyness when it comes to running the game, crash on every logout, have to reboot twice to get rid of some files, have to shut down a 3rd process that just dont want to shutdown after reboot. Was still there after i uninstalled the game.

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
shame i can not use vista as some programs i use mostly music programs are not vista comp so vista is a no go

You could try out VMWare. With the Evaluation for VMWare Workstation you can create a Virtual Machine with XP and play it inside Vista if you like.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Remember that GFX cards can run much much hotter than CPU's. IIRC 8800GT has a 'fixed' fan speed (it can be manually changed). The only time it ever increases is when it hits 100 degrees.

Also Patriach Matriach, he can run 8GB RAM if he is using 64 bit Windows XP

Deepfried

One of Freddy's beloved
thanks for all the replies folks
pc is getting repaired as we speak hopefully that will sort the problem out if not i get a refund and buy another
and yes im using xp professional so it can use 8gig of ram:)
back on my old crappy pc and loving it:p
still warhammer in two weeks and then you can all kill me again on a regular basis:)
and once again thanks for the advice as it certainly shut the technical folks i had to call up<i sounded like i knew what i was talking about>
deepfried

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom