GFX card noise thingy.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The gfx card is making a whirring, whizzing?, loud noise at times.

According to cata center, temp and speed of fan are ok(temp at 60C, speed between 50-80%). Activity is at 0% atm as i'm not running anything.

Not really sure what's the problem.

Cata overdrive settings(factory really) are in the image below.

Could it just be that it's a noisy gfx fan? :eek7:

Attachments

• gfxcard.jpg
    gfxcard.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 78

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
ATI radeon 4650 HD.

It only started making the noise during the summer, so i thought it was a heat thing, but it doesn't seem to be overheating and the fan seems to keep at fairly regular speed too.

About 8 months old computer alltogether.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Weird thing here is that it's noisy and quiet at same speeds, heat and activity :eek7:

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Tap the fan with your finger and see if the noise stops for a bit.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Might be a silly thing to suggest but i fell for it. I RMA'd my graphics card due to noise but it turned out my CPU fan had developed a fault.

gmloki

Part of the furniture
It might be a build up of dust thats the issue. Take the HSF off give it a clean and see if that does the trick ;)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Cleaning helps not, i could ofcourse take the whole damn fan off and give it a proper rogering. Might be a valid thing to do anyway.

Tapping the fan stops the sound only if the whole fan stops, that's how i figured out the noisy culprit.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
YEah so basically change the fan? Think i'll keep this one until it pops and then get a better card altogether.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Hmm, when it makes noise and i tap it harder, it stops for a while. So i actually think the fan is loose a bit, but no idea how to fix that :eek7:

I could take a 5cent coin and stick it on the fan to keep it down?

Though then it'll come off and wreack havoc inside the case :p

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
On my old Winfast Geforce TI 4600, which had two fans and one huge heatsink, both fans got really noisy. I took them off and let the thing overheat. It didn't crash or die or anything.

Not sure I'd try it with a more modern card due to the risk of fire :)

Yaka

Part of the furniture
my old 6800gt did that years ago then i took the case off for a closer look and found it was growing a beard of fluff

6800gtnv5clogcloseup.JPG

if you dont game much then i can chuck you a fanless nvida card for nowt it plays tf2 at medium specs. used it only a month till both my 280 gtx's got replaced

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom