Getting started

J

Jonaldo

Constantly the 'n00b' corp channel is being spammed with people asking what ship to buy, what skills to train, what asteroids to mine etc.. So thought I'd make a short list of things to do when you're a n00b :)

Skills
The most important skills you'll need when starting out are the ones that will help you to (a)make money (b)improve other skill training rates.

In no particular order of acquisition (and of course if you didn't start with them) I would advise the following:

Mining: pretty self explanatory, this improves your mining ability each level, and this is pretty much the best way to make money when you first start out.
Refining: This will cut the amount of wasted minerals whenever you refine the ore back at a space station.
Learning: Possibly the most important skill to get fairly early on. 2% training time reduction per skill level. Also the other skills in the learning tree; Iron Will (Willpower), Instant Recall (Memory), Analytical mind (Intelligence), Spatial Awareness (Perception) and Empathy (Charisma) are all worth training in as they raise your base stats which in turn decreases training time.
Mechanic: Needed to fit even the most basic of systems into your ship, a miner is no good without cargo-hold expanders so this will be necessary if you want to haul large quantities, even just level 1 will help you greatly.

Mining
The simplest way to remind yourself of the value of each asteroid is in reverse alphabetical order. That is Velspar being worth the least and Arkanor the most valuable. However as a n00b of course we can’t just fly straight into a low security area and mine the best so a good guide would probably be as follows:- 1st Ship mine Pyroxeres and Plagioclase as these can be carried in fairly large quantities even in the n00b ship. Save enough to get a miner 1 laser, then a cargo expander. When you finally upgrade ship then start mining Omber which can potentially yield a much greater return. Remember after you have filled your cargo bay with ore to refine it back at a station and sell the minerals there, ore really isn’t worth much as it is.
It is quite easy to mine Omber in safe security 1.0 and 0.9 areas without any threat from NPC pirates and mercenaries and make several million Isk in a few days if you have the patience.
However with everyone mining the same ore and trying to sell the same minerals, the value may decrease so you may need to either sell in slightly further out zones from your home starting point or even mine elsewhere.

In General
The Spaceship Command skill group is needed to get better, faster and larger ships which I would think is something we all aspire to have. These can take a while to train so make sure you have Perception and Willpower increased sufficiently to save in training time.

To install better lasers and equipment you may need to train Electronics which will increase your CPU capacity by 5% per level or buy a co-processor.

When selling minerals and items always use the advanced market system and search for the best prices around, zoom out on the map and search local zones, they will highlight bright green for highest price and red for lowest.

When you log off for the night or before you go to work/school/college/university during the day, don’t forget to make sure you are training one of the longer duration skills so as to not waste valuable skill training time. Remember you can stop training it when you log in to play some more and train shorter duration skills while you play, the points you've earned will simply drop back to the last full point (NOT LEVEL) that you gained, you can later resume from where you left off so you don't need to leave yourself training on the same skill for several days in a row.

This isn’t the most comprehensive guide you’ll read I’m sure but hopefully any people just starting out will find it a little useful as they try and get their bearings in the Eve universe.

For good reference sites use the in-game browser;
eve.porksoda.net gives a list of asteroids and what minerals can be refined from them
www.eve-i.com has a list of ships, skills and a good mining calculator.

Please anyone that wants to add bits and pieces to it feel free to do so. Ship buying guides for each race would be nice as I've only much experience in mining and got as far as a Gallente Imicus frigate.

Hope this helps :)

E

Embattle

ALso you can connect to the Barrysworld channel.

O

old.Sko

skills to have:

frigat2 - gets you to pilot "miner" frigate of your race.
mining1-3 - obvious :)
electronics2-3 - depending on cpu power allows you to put 2 mining lasers. Augment it with co-processor if nessesary
mechanics1 - cargo expander.
navigation1 - > afterburner1 - allows you nice speed boost when navigating in belt.

Tip:
You cargo container bookmarks for faster warps to station and back to belt.

Teh Picture :

cargo1 (bookmark) --- 10-15 km --- your asteroid --- <-- you fly from here.

you fly from here ->> station-- 15-20 km --- cargo2 (bookmark).

This allows you instantly pop from warp within docking range of station or mining range from asteroid.

T

Tom

All lies. The easiest way to make money is to fire on the station. The police come out and pay you for testing the station's hull strength.

C

Custy

heh yeah, unfortunatly some of this info is outdated.

eg. dont expect to find omber in a 1.0 or 0.9 anymore, you will have trouble finding it in anything above 0.7

O

Olgark

and addvanced clones are in game now but cost alot of dosh

Users who are viewing this thread