Getting kind of worried

Jeros

Part of the furniture
I kind of worried about myself, firstly i cant seem to do anything, what i put down for years as just being bone bloody idle seems to be getting worse, im sitting here, at college, like i do most nights, unable to get any work done, i just surf the net or whatever, i cant seem to get my head down to work, in class i will want to learn what were being taught but my mind goes off thinking about other things. Same thing happens at home, i go to do something and never actully make it, ill get distracted and do somthing else completley. Im starting to think i have ADD or somthing.

Also i seem to be feeling down a lot which is odd considering im at college and if i work hard i will get to uni, get a degree and eventully get back to Australia, this is what i wanted and everything is falling into place yet i dont feel happy, or really sad, just sorta empty and numb, its wired. :EDIT: oh and tired

anyone else have things like this?

Ezteq

Queen of OT
yeah i had it from when i was 15 up to about 21.

not taking the piss either i was a total waste of space, what some might call a flake (and not the good chocolatey crumbley kind either) then all of a sudden i heard a pop and it was my head coming out of my arse and i started getting things done, dont knw why, i just did. (additional info, my stuation did change rapidly when my life got better, so come to think of it maybe your depressed or something you need to change shit about)

you can go to the doctors and maybe see a therapist if you like but afaik you wont start doing stuff till your good and ready.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Only thing I can think to do is firstly ensure what you're doing and where you're heading are really what you want to be doing. Take time to work this out so you're clear in your mind about where you are and that you really do want to be doing it, that the end result will be worth the hard work (by the sounds of it this is the case!).

Assuming thats the case, I would suggest you need to psyche yourself up, put on some upbeat music or whatever, get yourself angry, focused, and do something - whatever it is that will get you closer to whatever it is you want.

I do the same when I feel down about fitness training, which has been alot lately, but if you let it overtake you you'll end up looking back at missed chances and wondering what happened. It can be very, very hard to get out of a rut that you've been in for a long time, but you've taken the first big step - you've recognised that theres a problem and now you can work on ways to fix it :D

Have 15 minutes out every couple of hours or so - have a cup of tea, listen to chill music, whatever it is you do to relax, then after that time get back into psyched up mode and make yourself do whatever it is you have to do.

Once you get into the rythm it'll get easier, the first step is usually the hardest with things like this from what I've seen ;)

Come on mate! chin up! Me and you did some pretty crazy stuff in DAoC as a duo! and I was just following your lead haha! If you can put the same determination into RL as you have did back in the day then you'll not have a problem at all :D

Jeros

Part of the furniture
yeah i had it from when i was 15 up to about 21.

not taking the piss either i was a total waste of space, what some might call a flake (and not the good chocolatey crumbley kind either) then all of a sudden i heard a pop and it was my head coming out of my arse and i started getting things done, dont knw why, i just did. (additional info, my stuation did change rapidly when my life got better, so come to think of it maybe your depressed or something you need to change shit about)

you can go to the doctors and maybe see a therapist if you like but afaik you wont start doing stuff till your good and ready.

I have had my "pop" loads of times, everytime i work hard i get someware, yet i still cant do it all the time, right, im gonna start this essay right now, even tho its not due in for a while i will get it going.

I need somthing to cause me loads of pain or discomfort everytime i am lazy......sadly we broke up years ago BOOM BOOM

Lethul

FH is my second home
Im in a very similar situation. i try and study but my thoughts can be focused on study for like 5 min then i'll start thinking about everything else there is to think about. It sucks, i always postpone everything to right before deadline etc too. Hopefully it will wear off and i might be able to focus :)

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
I have had my "pop" loads of times, everytime i work hard i get someware, yet i still cant do it all the time, right, im gonna start this essay right now, even tho its not due in for a while i will get it going.

I need somthing to cause me loads of pain or discomfort everytime i am lazy......sadly we broke up years ago BOOM BOOM

lol i thought this was something every student did? its not down to anything except that you can either be arsed or you cant be arsed.

few weeks back i planned to start one of my investigations. i delayed it for a week. i thought "doesnt need to be in till mid january, fuck it off a week". so i ended up smoking pot and whatnot and planned to start the following tuesday. got to tuesday and i delayed it all day by finding something else i could be doing. in the end i just did it.

work isnt always exciting, but its one of those things you have to do no matter how long you delay it. the sooner you just do it, the better.

bang on your favourite music, settle into an isolated room and just start. before you know it youve done an hours worth of work, at which point you realise you may aswell keep going another hour. what helps me also is to plan breaks, dont just sit down and work flat out. i work 2 hours, stop and eat, smoke a fag, drink coffee, idle on msn, for an hour, then crack back on.

oh another thing, if you dont feel empowered with knowledge etc after youve done your work, maybe youre on the wrong course. i always feel like ive learnt a fuck load (and i always do) when ive finished work.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Have a wank, cures all life's little problems.

But seriously, take a step back and look at what could be troubling you etc. If you are just bone idle/lazy, write down what you need to sort and then get to work. Dont bother setting yourself a date to finish them or you'll be dissapointed if you fail it.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Have a wank, cures all life's little problems.

But seriously, take a step back and look at what could be troubling you etc. If you are just bone idle/lazy, write down what you need to sort and then get to work. Dont bother setting yourself a date to finish them or you'll be dissapointed if you fail it.

Have a wank! what a good idea, im sure the staff here wont mind :D

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Sounds like a lack of motivation/passion to me.

If you feel passionately about something which your studies will help you achieve, then you will work harder. Well - it's working for me anyway :d

liloe

It's my birthday today!
--long quote--

Yes, I had that aswell at my first university while studying computer science. It was mostly when I was alone at home, trying to figure out why I suck so much at what I was doing.

What helped me a lot was getting a new appartment together with a friend of mine. I'm someone who needs lots of social contacts regularly, or I get kinda bored/depressed. Maybe it's the case for you, I dunno how you live =) It just feels good if you can come home and talk to someone =)

I also changed university soon after, because I felt that I was unable to ever reach my goal and I'm so much better now (went over to translation/interpretation) I can talk to lots of people all the time, cause the uni is small and you get to know everyone very quickly. Ofc that's not possible on every university, but maybe try and do more university stuff with friends, or try to share a living with 1-3 friends =)

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Sounds like a lack of motivation/passion to me.

If you feel passionately about something which your studies will help you achieve, then you will work harder. Well - it's working for me anyway :d

After long enough its easy for it to become disenchanted with any subject - in my last few years of college I found it a real strain to knuckle down and work.

I did far more studying and put in 10 times more effort in my first year of college than in my last year, it was the same story for most of the other guys there, and infact I was the only person in my yeargroup to have lasted 5 years at college - everyone else who started with me dropped out and so by the end of the course the guys hadnt been there as long as me, yet they were still flagging by the end of the course.

I agree that its down to you, and that its about mental determination, but I really dont think that its automatic "if like x then you will do y" by anymeans.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well here's a shocking advice; go to the doctor and see if you do have ADD/HD.

Just an -idea-.

Or, stop sitting by the computer all day. Go out, get fresh air, go to sleep at regular hours, eat so that you CAN sleep better.

You staying up late, sitting by the computer, drinking soda pops and eating marshmallows?

You're not happy 'cause..you're a student. It's not supposed to be fun :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom