Getting a TV, 3d or not ?

Saraden

Loyal Freddie
Greetings,

I am moving into a new flat and was thinking about getting a TV. Price range would be below ~900€, preferably around 500€.

What I am thinking now is if I should get a 3d or not. I've got no plans on getting a console, so movies & games would be coming from my PC. Would that be painless to set up, or would there be something to take into consideration ?

Also as my 3d experience is limited to couple of movies, is it worth it ? Would there be a big difference picture wise between cheap the cheap 500€ ones compared to the ones which go around 1000 euros ?

Cheers.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I have not bothered as 3D gives me a headache. But also films like Avatar in 1080p look nicer than the 3D version which I believe is a lower resolution. So no experience here except deciding it was not worth it.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
If you're having to ask about whether or not it would be worth it then that probably suggests it's not :D

Yaka

Part of the furniture
3d is a passing fad, if your looking at sets with that capability but wont be using it much then go by the 2d pic quality.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
/agree

I'd avoid the 3d, go for a good 1080p TV that has DLNA built in etc

Yaka

Part of the furniture
aye, i got my parents one with dlna capailites and usb ports. my dad was upset that i took away the bd player but loves it now, thier pc streams via ps3media server no probs

Embattle

FH is my second home
Personally not bothered by 3D yet, 4K and OLED interest me more.

Cyradix

FH is my second home
I have a 3D samsung tv. I find the 3D to be much better than in the cinema, but.... I almost never use it.
Only use it when a big blockbuster comes out on blu-ray (so last time I used it was when The Avengers was released and next time will probably be The Hobbit)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
You'll find it hard to buy a decent quality TV without 3D tbh. Mine has it. I've used it exactly twice in a year

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I wouldn't bother going for it specifically but most decent new TVs have it now. Despite the fact that most people who have it never use it the industry seems desperate to sell it.

Having said that, I thought the 3D in Tin-Tin (the only film I have seen in 3d on a TV) was excellent and worked really well...especially the chase scene.

Saraden

Loyal Freddie
I ended up getting a motherfucking gigantic Panasonic UT50" 3d plasma for my 22 square flat. Apparently it's big sister was the queen of the last year and this one should match the picture quality. Will be a laugh when it arrives next week :)

Saraden

Loyal Freddie
well.. looks like it's just the right size, wouldn't have hurt to have even bigger.

Being plasma it buzzes a bit though, not sure if that amount is normal. Also made a mistake of googling it and meeting all the propeller heads which made me even more paranoid. Think I'll just live with it though.

Oh, and I like the 3D. Adds quite a bit of immersion to gaming too.

Case closed and report filed.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
The whole glasses thing put me off totally. The new Parallax/Lenticular glass tech is interesting but not seen a really outstanding example on the market yet. The Toshiba and LG ones I have seen were pretty cool but not worth buying into yet.

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
I got the Panasonic 3d tv last year and used it 4 5 times. No headaches and the 3 d is superb, but the glasses are heavy as they are active shutter. I do have a 3 d monitor for gaming that I do use all the time. the Asus / 3D vision 2 setup,and that's very good and there are lots of compatible pc games, including the recent Tomb Raider game that works well. The nvidia glasses are more comfortable and have better size lens,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom