General "subforums"

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
With the removal of all the subforums I thought we might get rid of everything but feedback and news from the subforums list. Techie discussion has its own forums, it does not need a redirect taking up page space in general.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Which is why something like:

General Forums
|- General (move all general posts here)
|- Techie Discussion (the forum moved here, not a useless redirect)
|- Feedback
|- News

Might be better? I personally hate forums you can post in which have subforums themselves. :p

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Erm... apart from Techie Discussion, that's almost exactly what you've got already except you'd be making general a category with a general sub-forum instead of a forum containing feedback & news....

Methinks it's fairly clear that the forum layout needs a complete rethink throughout not just in general? Anyone agree?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Current Layout said:
General
- - Techie Discussion
- - Feedback

FreddysHouse Guides

Techie Discussion

Action & FPS Games
- - Quake Series
- - Battlefield Series
- - Call of Duty
- - Half-Life series
- - Jedi Knight Series
- - Medal of Honour

Role Playing Games
- - Dungeons & Dragons Online
- - Eve: The Second Genesis
- - Final Fantasy XI
- - Neverwinter Nights
- - Star Wars: Galaxies
- - City Of Heroes
- - World of Warcraft
- - - - Tradeskills and Crafting
- - - - WoW General Discussion
- - - - Quest Help - Spoiler Zone!
- - - - Class Discussion
- - - - PvP discussion
- - - - Achievements
- - Everquest 2
- - Guild Wars
- - Warhammer

Sims
- - Lock On: Modern Air Combat
- - Rallisport Challenge
- - MicroSoft Flight Sims

Real Time Strategy Games

Game Consoles

The Elite

Hosted Forums
- - Deebs forum

Our services
Current layout with some omissions (DAoC mainly as I don't read the DAoC forums)

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Meg's Suggested Layout A said:
General
- - Techie Discussion

Fred or Dead
- - The Elite
- - Feedback
- - News
- - Guides
- - Services

Console Gaming

PC Gaming
- - Action & FPS
- - Role Playing
- - Simulations
- - Real Time Strategy

Hosted Forums
- - Deebs Forum
A quick suggested layout. Notes: A) that I cba to put in all the subforums by hand cos I'm lazy & B) that I know "Fred or Dead" is a crap suggestion for a forum title & C) I know triple posting is gay.

Edit: Forgot news... thx shovel

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
triple posting is gay! ;)

tbh I think your layoutA idea is great. I'm only just up though with no coffee so I'll prolly change my mind :)

JBP|

Part of the furniture
Why oh why oh why do you suddenly feel the need to alter the layout of these forums?

They have been perfectly fine for the last three years, there is no need to go changing everything about now.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
MYstIC G said:
A quick suggested layout.
Very nice. Much tidier for sure. I can't comment on the breakdown of the gaming forums since I don't use them, but General and FoD make a lot of sense. I particularly agree with bumping The Elite subscriber forum up into that group, since it would be nice to test if it will actually get real use or not.r

Where are you putting News? Can that be a hidden forum that you only read from the front page? Or should that be FoD too?

MYstIC G said:
B) that I know "Fred or Dead" is a crap suggestion for a forum title

Actually I kinda like it :(

TDC said:
I'm only just up though with no coffee so I'll prolly change my mind

This has reminded me that I need coffee, preventing me from thinking of any other ideas. Which means I need to go to the shops to buy milk. Damn you Teedles…

TdC

aye, I like FoD too :(

also, I am now drinking my perfect roast from my BarrysWorld mug, just to harass you even more Shovel ;)

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
JBP:
I don't "feel like" changing stuff, it just seems to be coming up over and over of late, so maybe it's worth a shot? That's why I did the full list, so other peeps (who might do it better) can play about.

Shovel:
News didn't appear in the dropdown I copied to make the lists... which is weird... it would indeed go under Fred or Dead. /me edits.

Meg

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I'm happy with the forum layout, I just dont understand why Techie has a useless redirect when it is on the main index.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Please leave the layout and move the tech back with its sub forums.....

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I doubt that restoring tech is actually possible yonikins.

Any daylight thought yet Teedles?

TdC

the way it is now I do not understand the general and FoD sections. the previous was teh better imo, or you could explain a bit :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
All very good, but can someone answer the original point and tell me why on earth their is a redirect to techie when it is plain and clear on the main index?

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
I have this cool idea... a TV forum would rock!

This is like going to your local supermarket, (which you have trusted and supported for years) and they've re-arranged the shelves! - so the milk is where the tissues were, and the fruit is by the cereals and the crisps... I can't find the fucking crisps!

GReaper

Part of the furniture
I'd say it's more like a supermarket which nobody used, now a load of people who never shopped there are moaning about the changes!

The crisps are in the general forum! :p

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Actually it's more like a supermarket that's shrinking its lines because nobody buys any of them, but all the customers are bitching now they can't see that "box they liked the look of but never touched" on the shelf.....

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Oh & chet, iirc it was a redirect because when it was the original hardware/software with the 20 odd (unnecessary) sub-forums, when it was under general all the subforums appeared as a full line underneath, which was gay. So it was moved out as a main forum with a redirect because people were too stupid to find it's new home.

Now in theory, with no subforums, techie could just come back as a subforum of general (as per my suggested layout), but hey, nobody likes asda beans, they just like to keep them on the shelf cos it makes them feel better about buying heinz.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I believe the original forum design still exists and it isnt too difficult to put it back.

I can answer your question Ch3t but I'm hoping deebs can when he gets back from working away.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
MYstIC G said:
Actually it's more like a supermarket that's shrinking its lines because nobody buys any of them, but all the customers are bitching now they can't see that "box they liked the look of but never touched" on the shelf.....

Actually i think its more like a forum where everything had a place and was in it and everyone knew where too look, but now its all been banged into one section and is a complete mess if you want something in particular.

I believe this was done to make the forums more active? However i dont believe this is really the case (It just may look that way is all).

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yoni said:
I believe the original forum design still exists and it isnt too difficult to put it back.
I sincerely doubt that. I would suggest that it's not the layout, it's the moving of the threads?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The only gripes seem to be with the tech forum, sub forums.

The entertainment forums were a waste of time, and created over time because of people moaning that general forum wasnt the place for photo, cars and film discussion. But that left nothing but birthday threads and bitchfights in general.

The layout now is closer to how BW general forums used to be when they were good.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'm not about to go making any more changes right now - the structure for the tech subforums does still exist and could be restored, although the threads would be difficult to re-patriate and we would probably have to let them re-populate.

Don't get me wrong, it's good to have discussion and ideas but unless there is an strong consensus for change things will stay as they are.

Specifically the tech sub forums I'd like to hear thoughts on whether all the subforums have equal value or if there are one or two that people feel more strongly about restoring.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
People have poor memories. The tech subforums that have been rubbed never existed on BW, they never existed on Game (and imho they were a shit idea here I'm afraid).

If the history card is gonna start being played in all this, I think we should all note that consoles was on a par with general on both BW & GAME. Can it now be moved up? Tech was also way way down the list.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'm quite happy with the way things are now.

General is really 'off topic' on here.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
To be "off topic" you'd have to have a topic to begin with..... personally I don't think there is one now.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Take your console crap back to your own thread please.

The console forum is dead, it sees life for discussion of the latest 360 game, console baiting with aada and bodhi, and an occasional bump of the stickies.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
if that were the case, then that means its actually more popular than General.

In any event you started a thread in there just a few days ago, compared with over a fortnight ago in general, so what the crap are you on about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom