Geforce FX5950 Ultra

A

agraucred

hi, I bought one if these and finally got it yesterday, but im running into a few issues. my previous card was a Geforce 4 ti4600 and i was using the 41.09 drivers without any problems (some of the updated drivers cause minor issues in games and i found these to be the most stable on my system). i uninstalled this card and installed the GFX5950 using the drivers provided (52.14 i think) but so far every set of drivers that supports the FX range has had the same problems. basically it starts off ok, but gradually sparkles begin to appear and it builds up until it gets to a point where textures are stretching and flikering, random pixcels are apearing and flickering all over the place and if i leave it long enough my comp just locks up. this is happening in any game i try, not 1 perticular game. just running windows is fine, this happens in games only. my system is:

athlon xp 2200 (not overclocked, running at 1.8ghz)
Asus A7V8X Motherboard (with AGP and VIA 4in1 drivers up to date)
512MB DDR
Leadtek A380 Ultra Geforce FX 5950 (currently on the 53.03 drivers, but same problem occuring)
SB Audigy
Modem

USB Peripherals:
Mouse
Saitek Cybork 3D Joystick

if anyone has seen this problem before and knows a fix id really appreciate it. Thanks for any help

J

Jupitus

Ooo ello BLT :p ;)

Looks like it may be a temperature issue to me. Couple of suggestions:

1) Try using the native Nvidia drivers rather than any from the guys putting the labels on the box.

2) In the settings for the card find hardware acceleration. If it is set to max knock it down a few steps and see if things improve. I used to have freeze issues with my 9700 and simply stepping back one notch cured that completely.

Good luck, old chap :)

A

agraucred

thanks Jup (good to see you still around btw :) )

a combination of knocking the hardware acceleration down and uninstalling the 4.49 4in1 VIA drivers seems to have cured most of it. read about a similar issue with a 5200 on the same mobo which led me to giving that a try. but the problem does still occur in a few instances, which id like to try and resolve (including 3dmark 2003, the second game test "battle for whatever" starts to screw up as stated above"). just seems weird that it screws up the same way in any game (untill now)

J

Jupitus

2003 3D would crash my machine almost exactly 14 seconds into it every time until I cranked down the hware acceleration (that's what I was using to drive it hard).

Take a check on the physical slots used by your PCI cards and if you can make more space near the gfx card do so for better cooling. Also take it down another notch and see if you can get 3dmark stabilised :)

Good Luck.

A

agraucred

well i just cranked my rear fan and PSU fan speeds up abit and knocked down the hardware acceleration one more (any more and it wont even run 3dmark) and the problem is still occuring, not as quickly though, so i guess it could be a heat issue... bollocks :(

A

agraucred

umm yeah, just to confirm that, the GPU was hitting close to 100C, threshold is ment to be 120 though i think...

L

~Lazarus~

Originally posted by agraucred
thanks Jup (good to see you still around btw :) )

a combination of knocking the hardware acceleration down and uninstalling the 4.49 4in1 VIA drivers seems to have cured most of it. read about a similar issue with a 5200 on the same mobo which led me to giving that a try. but the problem does still occur in a few instances, which id like to try and resolve (including 3dmark 2003, the second game test "battle for whatever" starts to screw up as stated above"). just seems weird that it screws up the same way in any game (untill now)

Wasnt their issues with the VIA drivers?

Well there was, but it was the 4.50 :/

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12951

A

agraucred

already established its the heat. been playing a game fine with the gpu running at a steady 60C, as soon as it gets a bigger load and gets higher it starts to fuck up. no problem i guess, i intend to get rid of the athlon heat generator after xmas anyway, too noisy with all these fans keeping the thing cool....

Users who are viewing this thread