Advice GeForce 8800GT

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
My mate has a computer that was abandoned. It has two of the aforementioned graphics cards in it. They work and I'm thinking of buying one of them off him. I want to know if it's worth it.

Currently have a Sapphire Radeon HD6450 128mb RAM. The 8800GT is supposed to have 512mb but the guy who had the computer had them customised. MASSIVE heatsinks and what look like extra RAM chips.

Worth chucking £50 or so his way?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
For £50 it's more performance than you can buy new.
If you just want a bit of an upgrade then it's ok I guess.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
No, these cards (series) are known for breaking down. Bad soldering (sp?).

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
seems a bit dodgey to me .. hate customs much prefer standard

Access Denied

When he finally gets round to to taking the pics I asked for I'll post them here. Given the size of the heatsinks on them I seriously doubt bad soldering will be an issue since that's only an issue with excess heat buildup.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
surely they are really old cards ... you must be able to get better cards at the same or similar price that are better ?

Access Denied

I don't know. Not up to date on the graphics card front because I haven't built myself a new PC for about 4 years.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
8800Gt is very old ... surely you get a 460 or similar card second hand for that which will blow it out of the water .. try looking on ebay

Kryten

Old Cow.
You can indeed, avoid them. They might be worth 20 quid for messing about with but the bad soldering issue isn't something remedied by "custom" builds. That's how they rolled out the relevant factories and the majority of them suffer it. And no, there certainly will not be any extra RAM on it other than what's advertised. They're very old hat and I doubt they're any better than your 6450. At least the 6450 does DX11. It won't just be 128mb ram, it'll be using your system ram too.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
This, mine lasted 5 years and then de-soldered. Get yourself a Geforce GT 620 for about £30 it's got a similar enough power level and in the last 5 years the technology has run forward so fast that it is passively cooled so it won't generate a load of noise like the 8800.

- English -

Resident Freddy
I doubt they are worth £50 these days, I bought a 8800gts some 5 years ago or so for £200 and that was a nice card back then.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I doubt they are worth £50 these days, I bought a 8800gts some 5 years ago or so for £200 and that was a nice card back then.

They still outperform a 6670 or a 620, but they have a higher power usage and a lot more noise, + we all know gpus have a shelf life usually.
If those things are not a concern and it's just about a cheap budget upgrade - then it's fine.

- English -

Resident Freddy
When I upgraded my PC, i bought several parts and was waiting to the end of the month for a new gfx card, so I just used my gts. The reason i wanted a new PC was because gw2 was lagging in PVP, but my gts actually made it playable without too much lag with large zergs , soI decided not to bother forking out for a new card.. until 2 weeks later when it suddently spat loads of pink lines across my screen.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
if they been modded then £10 each. i sold my 280s cards when the 480 series came out, and they fetched 75 each

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom