GeForce 4 Specs

K

*Kornholio*

Probably the best thing a GF4 is gonna do is cause GF3's to lower in price :)

T

Testin da Cable

I'm still with my old gf2GTS, and thus I'm rather glad of the upcoming release.
I wonder what shocking price it will debut at :(

S

Scouse

Unless it pisses on the GF3 there's no reason for anyone upgrading to go for it - the GF3'll come down in price dramatically and games haven't really started to appear that use the GF3 properly yet.....

T

Testin da Cable

aye. imo they shouldn't chuck stuff onto the market so fast. it'll come back to bite them.

S

(Shovel)

indeed. IF anything they shouldn't shoot through the Geforece # numbers so quick - look what happened when 3dfx released a Voodoo 4 and 5 at once.

W

Wij

That was more to do with the fact that the v4 and v5 were crap and very late to market :)

T

throdgrain

i got a v5.5 in my second pc wij,it looks fantastic!
its just so fucking slow :)

S

(Shovel)

indeed. I remember seeing the pictures before they released them. Looked impressive.

Wasn't the V5.6000 supposed to require an external power suplly or something stupid? Mind, that never made it out did it...

X

Xavier

Originally posted by Wij
That was more to do with the fact that the v4 and v5 were crap and very late to market :)

hmm, actually one of the main reasons 3dfx went tits up was that instead of paying attention to the trends within the industry(i.e. sales were slowing down and things were moving in a new direction...) they dropped $165M on gigapixel.... nice investment but bad timing!

C

caLLous

and instead of developing faster processors, they just put more of them on the cards

X

Xavier

yep, I can't say much about any new GPU that nVidia (might) be about to release for reasons that will be apparent next month tho ;)

Xav

T

throdgrain

i was playing cs on the v5.5 the other day,just to see if it still worked :)
and it does look really really good.unfortunately allied to a celeron 400 via a pci slot it makes about 25 fps avarage,which is NOT A GOOD THING :)

X

Xavier

hmm, I know someone who's after buying one of those, hehe, if you're interested in selling it drop me a mail ;)

T

throdgrain

nah im keeping it for posterity m8.:)
(actually for my 13 year olds pc !)

O

old.Dan_the_man

and instead of developing faster processors, they just put more of them on the cards

I thought that was a good idea, it was just the huge bandwidth, cpu speed and memory bottlenecks that made a 20 chip on one card no faster than a 2 chip on one card with the average cpu.
And huge cost :]

X

Xavier

hmm, 'strength of numbers' has never won (unless you're the russian army ;))

B

bodhi

You obviously dont remember SLI do you? :)

From what I've heard GF4 is only a marginal increase over GF3, just to pull it up to DX8.1 spec. That wont stop certain hardware sites proclaiming nVIDIA to be the great god, but hey, that's life I suppose.

R300 looks sweet tho, especially seeing as ArtX have had a nice hand in developing it.

E

Embattle

Guess only time will tell, although being an ATidiot you'll most probably find a problem with the GF4s performance :p

B

bodhi

I won't no. I will find a problem with the 2D and 3D IQ tho.

X

Xavier

Originally posted by Bodhi
You obviously dont remember SLI do you? :)

From what I've heard GF4 is only a marginal increase over GF3, just to pull it up to DX8.1 spec. That wont stop certain hardware sites proclaiming nVIDIA to be the great god, but hey, that's life I suppose.

R300 looks sweet tho, especially seeing as ArtX have had a nice hand in developing it.

lol - well what you've HEARD is inaccurate my boy ;)

W

Wij

Originally posted by Bodhi
I won't no. I will find a problem with the 2D and 3D IQ tho.

Could get a Leadtek one, they're excellent. Or do the dodgy tweak to fix it :)

X

Xavier

hmm, from what I've seen sofar the Gainward will be a quicker card ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom