Geforce 3 and opengl

O

old.[EC]Penny

I hope somebody can help me? Ive recently updated my MOBO to an ASUS AV7 266 - E from a ASUS A7M 266.I use to run Q3 fine with my older MOBO with Open GL on but with my new MOBO with Open GL turned on when i play Q3 the screen judders when i turn :( .If i turn Open GL off Q3 runs smooth but with a hit on my FPS.Im using the same Geforce card an ASUS Geforce 3 Deluxe with Detonator drivers 23.10 and Windows XP pro.I hope somebody knows the answer to this

O

old.[EC]Penny

Yup 4.37 just downloaded and tried again.Still judders with GL extensions on m8 but fine when i turn them off

E

Embattle

I take it you've also tuned the driver settings?

O

old.[EC]Penny

No m8 never done it before,or heard of it ?

O

old.[EC]Penny

Ok m8 im doing all that now m8 :) Ill post back here when doen thnx for your help so far m8 its appreciated

S

Summo

Sounds like vsync to me. I shall save the lengthy post until its needed. :)

E

Embattle

Yes but thats why I've punted him towards the guide as posting a massive post is a pain but I'll stick a little guide up in a second.

O

old.[EC]Penny

Just tried the new refresh rate,but Pc just kept locking up on me and when on booting PC up it said a FAT 32 on my hard disk may be corrupt (gulp).So i used system restore and all is back as it was :).Now im going to look into the tweak drivers :)

E

Embattle

STEP 1:

step1.jpg

Right click on your desktop, then click on the properties.

STEP 2:

step2.jpg

Go to the Settings TAB. Then click on Advanced, in the lower right corner.

STEP 3:

step3.jpg

This window will appear and as you can see one TAB is GeForce3, yours will be named by what Graphics card you have but click on it any way.

STEP 4:

step4.jpg

Click on the Additional Properties button.

STEP 5:

step5.jpg

In this window you can see antialiasing modes, make sure its OFF. Then click on the Direct3D Settings TAB.

STEP 6:

step6.jpg

In the Mipmap Detail Level drop down box make sure Blend is selected.

STEP 7:

step7.jpg

I personally have the first three tick boxes ticked although the one that helps increase speed is Use Fast linear-mipmap filtering.

Copy all the settings I have in thedrop down boxes you see, esp the Vertical Sync one. You could change the Default Colour Depth for Textures to 16bit if you run the desktop in 32bit, this will improve speed in games.

E

Embattle

If you want the clock frequencies TAB as well, this allows overclocking of you graphics card, then just say.

E

Embattle

Regarding the refresh rate fix you need to know your monitors max res, go over it and you get no picture oh and please tell me why you're using FAT32?

O

old.[EC]Penny

Firstyl not sure why im using FAT 32 thats how my XP was loaded not sure why it aint the new standard.I followed your piccys and Q3 does run alot better now although still slightly jerky but better :).Ive been told that my I\O voltage on my MOBO may need altering so it matches the voltage of my Asus card 3.30 v (not sure if thats true).I tried to download NVMAX but the webby is down till the 18th of FEB :(My monitor has a max refresh of 85 hz.As u can probably guess Embattle im not very technically minded but i am trying :)

E

Embattle

Can you provide all the specs of your system below?

O

old.[EC]Penny

Athlon XP 1800
Windows XP PRO
ASUS A7 266 - E MOBO
ASUS Geforce 3 v8200 Deluxe
512 meg DDR
Creative Audigy
ASUS ISDN card

O

old.[EC]Penny

Ok ive gone to NTFS now thnx for that tip.Now i will download those other drivers :)

E

Embattle

Make sure you go to the add/remove panel and uninstall the others first then restart and install these ones.

O

old.[EC]Penny

:) Excellent m8.Thats sorted it completely.It runs great now,i changed the stuff u showed me in the settings for the new driver aswell and now it runs really weel.Q3 plays much quicker now than it has done before.Any other tips u have just post them m8.Thnx alot for all your speedy replys on the forum tonight u have made an Oldish man happy,i will sit back and have a cigar and a beer and maybe even be nice to the wife :)

E

Embattle

NP mate.

Right regarding Nvidia refresh rate fix, it's wise to give it another go since WINXP makes the monitor run at headache generating 60Hz.

STEP 1:

refresh1.jpg

Start the program and click Next

STEP 2:

refresh2.jpg

Make sure those settings match your specification, click Next.

STEP 3:

refresh3.jpg

refresh4.jpg

The drop down box at the bottom (Set) click on it and change from none to Every resolution to 85Hz or to closet possible rate.

Then press next until it asks if you want to restart.....then restart.

Make sure you've made another restore just in case this doesn't work again...but it should.

E

Embattle

BW hosting is acting a little strange...hence no pictures under the STEPs atm ;)

O

old.[EC]Penny

Yup that works fine this time around Embattle.I dont think ive ever restarted my PC as much.Have u got any other pearls of wisdom :)

E

Embattle

Always keep an eye out for new drivers, although as you found out, the newer ones may not always work best with your hardware.

You have the WHQL certified drivers which means a little reg hack which adds a overclocking TAb won't work but maybe when Nvidia release some more new drivers you can try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom