GDPR

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
I'm assuming nothing has changed in regards to things like HDD's and such. At my local dump a couple of years ago I noticed a PC with some pretty recent components. I figured something had borked (Likely the PSU) and the owner either had more money than sense or no fucking clue. Employees at the dump wouldn't let me take it, even when I told them they could keep the HDD.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'm assuming nothing has changed in regards to things like HDD's and such. At my local dump a couple of years ago I noticed a PC with some pretty recent components. I figured something had borked (Likely the PSU) and the owner either had more money than sense or no fucking clue. Employees at the dump wouldn't let me take it, even when I told them they could keep the HDD.
They would be liable if identified as they should have deleted all PII before disposing of the HDD.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'd love to know how this shit will work for stuff like cloud backup services

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
How does this apply to the DVLA selling our info to private car parks.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
How does this apply to the DVLA selling our info to private car parks.

It will be interesting to see what their response on this is, I'd expect them to be challenged on this fairly early.

What they will say is collection of the data is covered by Article 6(c) - which is that processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which the controller is subject. But I agree that I only see this covering them processing the data for it's stated purpose (which is registering the car for tax or whatever), if the selling on of the info is classed as marketing, technically they now need to include a separate tickbox asking for your permission for this to happen. But that's not going to happen is it.....

They'll say its not marketing, and theres some legal reason for it and pass the buck to the Secretary of State.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
We've been told nothing at school about this.

However someone mentioned that technically we're no longer allowed to take students books home incase they have personal information about them which will be interesting if true.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
I'm getting Botox commercials on FB (1 ampoule, 250 euro) - ads are getting dumber, or want to take a poke at me gloating @ GDPR.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
The wife is no longer allowed to write a pupils name down in any case where they have come under her department.
Seriously, it has to be a code agreed with the parents.
I suppose really, that should be the norm allready...a bit like childb in abuse cases.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
The wife is no longer allowed to write a pupils name down in any case where they have come under her department.
Seriously, it has to be a code agreed with the parents.
I suppose really, that should be the norm allready...a bit like childb in abuse cases.

We always use initials.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
We always use initials.
Interesting. Whilst I'm not employed at a school our training said that using initials could be considered as a deliberate attempt to circumvent GDPR if there's no legitimate need to use them. Like if you were to write "JD caused the failure" instead of "John Doe caused the failure" the premise was that people are now entitled to data about them so don't try and mess with it.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Interesting. Whilst I'm not employed at a school our training said that using initials could be considered as a deliberate attempt to circumvent GDPR if there's no legitimate need to use them. Like if you were to write "JD caused the failure" instead of "John Doe caused the failure" the premise was that people are now entitled to data about them so don't try and mess with it.

It also isn't adequate for pseudonyimising or anonymising the information. you could still technically identify the individual from it so GDPR would still apply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom