GDPR

Ormorof

FH is my second home
So which company will be first hit?

*popcorn*

Or will it be a massive let down? :)

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
What I've received is a flood of e-mails that references the GDPR law and ensures me that they are welcoming the new law, my personal information is safe with them etc etc. If you click further and have a read, they basically say that "we have the right to sell basic information", for example, the fucking place i cut my hair (which always asks for phone numer, name etc) mentions selling (if you read between the lines) information on the number of times people don't show up on a booked time, how many times we cut our hair, etc etc. Bottom line, don't give out a phone numer, or give a fake one. Pay cash.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The rental agency I use wants loads of info off me "to comply with GPDR", including who my mortgage is with.

They can get tae fuck :)

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
One great thing is it seem that companies has to ask if you wish to keep receiving newsletters, so, i suppose if you do not reply, they won't send you their shit. Great right?!

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Thats the assumption i am working on. Hoping the email stops from a lot of companies after tomorrow.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
GDPR won't stop tomorrow. It starts tomorrow.

Also, Google, Facebook or Apple will get hit first. They are the reason why GDPR was set in motion in the first place

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
We know it starts tomorrow. Its the emails from companies that we havent given authorisation to that will hopefully stop tomorrow

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
So what is GDPR?

Do companies now need to ask permission before contacting you or something?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It's giving me a great opportunity to go through a bunch of emails I usually just ignore and unsubscribe.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
You can also read through the 99 articles that encompasses the whole deal

Ormorof

FH is my second home
So what is GDPR?

Do companies now need to ask permission before contacting you or something?

Basically flips the idea of what privacy policies and eulas are for, users must explicitly agree to consent to allow you to use their personal data, you cant hide it in a eula or terms and conditions

And they must be written in plain language, no legalese

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Basically flips the idea of what privacy policies and eulas are for, users must explicitly agree to consent to allow you to use their personal data, you cant hide it in a eula or terms and conditions

And they must be written in plain language, no legalese
And you can ask for a copy of what data a company has on you and i think demand they delete it.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I seen some smaller companies have just removed the eu from the places they do business and some game companies too.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It will be an interesting few days as reports come in of the big companies being reported for failing to satisfy GDPR requirements. If I continue to run FreddysHouse I am now on both sides of GDPR but luckily any personal information stored by the forum software is minimal at least.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
We're assuming all the tinfoil hat brigade will be out in force over the next few weeks demanding every bit of personal info everyone's ever held on them.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
What is happening of course is they hit you with it when you log in, so 90% of people agree in a hurry.
Googles data protection settings are borderline...no they ARE the kind of shit Russian scammers would pull..just a confusefest of overlapping tickboxes that a QC would have to spend a week working out.
Google are fucking evil.

Embattle

FH is my second home
What I love is the idea of reducing emails, what is ironic I've never been sent more in the last few weeks and even by companies who I've used but never received a email from in the past. It won't stop the real spam emails any way, you know the ones where trying to unsubscribe actually is just confirmation to them that the email address is in use.

Overall it'll certainly help to control some aspects of data gathering and use.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Spare a thought for the Nigerian Prince ive been emailing - how is he supposed to give his fortune away with this coming in?

Job

I ignored the Daily mash asking me to just press whatever and let them alk have access.
Hoky shit ..two minutes of unticking boxes...

Job

The washington post has blocked EU access...I'll try not to miss the liberal rag.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Queue bainteor coming from the shadows asking the nosey one to delete his posts :D

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Queue bainteor coming from the shadows asking the nosey one to delete his posts :D
In brief
What is the right to erasure?
Under Article 17 of the GDPR individuals have the right to have personal data erased. This is also known as the ‘right to be forgotten’. The right is not absolute and only applies in certain circumstances.

When does the right to erasure apply?
Individuals have the right to have their personal data erased if:

• the personal data is no longer necessary for the purpose which you originally collected or processed it for;
  • you are relying on consent as your lawful basis for holding the data, and the individual withdraws their consent;
  • you are relying on legitimate interests as your basis for processing, the individual objects to the processing of their data, and there is no overriding legitimate interest to continue this processing;
  • you are processing the personal data for direct marketing purposes and the individual objects to that processing;
  • you have processed the personal data unlawfully (ie in breach of the lawfulness requirement of the 1st principle);
  • you have to do it to comply with a legal obligation; or
  • you have processed the personal data to offer information society services to a child.
Right to erasure

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Half of these companies shouldn't have been sending these emails out in the first place. They've actually contravened GDPR by sending the emails in the first place, which is quite ironic.

I've spent the last 9 months getting where I work compliant so I'm quite glad we've finally reached go day! It should mean a lot less marketing shit being sent to people, and organisations not relying on consent as a basis for processing peoples information.

essentially to process your information they now need to state what their lawful basis for doing this is (Article 6 of the GDPR), consent being the worst of these, as there is a lot more the company has to do if it relies on consent (and a lot of the other rights, like the right to have your information deleted (Article 17) and your right to restrict processing (Article 18) only apply for consent based sharing. Not that different from the Data Protection Act, bit there is a LOT more emphasis on the organisation recording what they are keeping, why they are keeping it and providing information to people on whats going on with their info.

Then if it's sensitive information (health info, criminal record etc) it gets even more stringent (Article 9).

The way Facebook operates at the moment definitely contravenes GDPR so it's going to be interesting how this pans out.

Interesting times ahead!

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Had two training courses on this so far. Talked to the Mrs who works for a Brit school/college, she has never heard of it. So are education facilities and organisations exempt?

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Had two training courses on this so far. Talked to the Mrs who works for a Brit school/college, she has never heard of it. So are education facilities and organisations exempt?

Nope In fact id say they need to be more on the ball as personal information of children is given special consideration, specifically around consent. Has to come from an adult, but you also have to have some form of verification process in place to confirm that adult is responsible for the child. In the UK, they are classing a child as anyone 13 and undet i think (its a derogation in the data protection bill currently going through parliament).

Is the school sharing information with other organisations (Local Authority for instance), do they have data sharing agreements in place and more importantly they will now have to provide a privacy notice in any instance where information is being collected that states

• What personal information is being collected.
  • Who its being shared with
  • What legal reason you have for collecting it (article6 again)
  • What your retention period is
  • What their rights are

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom