gaming modems

O

old.ander

Anyone tell me what is the best modem for gaming online?

I have seen on a few posts that peeps recommend using a hardware modem(dunno what that is:))

Also i am having probs with me ping playing online, i cannot get me ping down below 300.
I have a HSP MicroModem 56 (manufactuer PCtel, Inc.).

The best connection i can get from this is 46.666bps. I have tried all the tricks on the url's that peeps have put in previous posts, but it still wont go past 46,666bps, i have also tried 3 different isp's same result.

Unfortunatley i cannot upgrade to cable or asdl coz they are not in my region yet.

Can anyone help me out here?????

T

Testin da Cable

I can help you with hardware and software modems m8,

a software modem is a device thats functions are for a large part done by it's driver. such a device uses your pc's resources to make up for what it lacks itself [much like a parasite] It will also never function as well as it's counterpart.

a hardware modem uses it's built-in hardware to do most of it's job and therefore consumes very little power [I mean computing power not current :)] off of your PC. Such modems are [usually] better for gamers but are more expencive.

-tdc

O

old.ander

testin_da_cable , thanks m8 for the info:) can you recommend a good hardware modem?

my system is: -

pentiumIII 450mhz
16.1gb hdd
128sdram
64agp graphics(no specific card)

S

Stazbumpa

I use a Diamond Supraexpress 56e Pro (the "e" is for external). Un-tweaked, i get an average 160ms ping but it can be 190ms on a bad day. It has been known to drop to 128ms but that is on a very good day. They are the best of the 56k modems.
Legend has it that if youy visit a tweaking site (don't know any web addys, sorry) you can play with the settings and get stable pings of sub 130ms.

Roughly £50 but can be found a bit cheaper and they've just released a USB version.

Hope this helps.

O

old.ander

I usually get a ping about 300+ but recently it has went up to 400+.

Me has GOT to get one of those diamond modems.

just had a look about if anyone is interested, you can get then from http://www.dabs.com around £35

T

throdgrain

I used to use a us robotics 56k external modem that gave good results.
i got isdn now tho and the difference is awesome!

O

old.ander

Like i said at the first post m8 i cannot get isdn in my area:(

no fair:)

T

Testin da Cable

aye it's a shame. well anticipation is nice too, and once you've become an lpb it will be like you've never been anything else :D:D:D

-tdc

F

FunGas

yes yes Diamond make good hardware modem, about seventeen quid trade if I remember right, whatever you do, make sure you "don't" buy a SOFTWARE jobby (and an internal one is much neater if, no faster?) I bought a k56 thingy years ago and it works blindingly on BW dialup (thanks Utumno) about 120ms or sub 100 on a good day.

O

old.MrFragem

Ander, your present modem is a software modem (HSP modems are a type of software modem) hence your poor ping. See my reply in this thread for information about the difference between the two types and how to recognise software modems:
http://forums.barrysworld.com/showthread.php?threadid=6757

The Diamond Supra Express Pro is good hardware kit. Another is the 3COM US Robotics 56k Voice Faxmodem. Both of these are available as internal cards. I've used both and have been very happy with them.

Internal are slightly better than external because they are more directly connected to the PC bus. On the other hand, if you're really unsure, go for an external modem because most are hardware modems whereas most software modems are internal.

Another way of recognising software modems is price. Because software modems have few chips onboard they are generally cheap. Avoid cheap modems.

You should easily be able to get somewhere between 100 and 200 ping with a hardware modem, assuming you also have a decent ISP and a "clean" phoneline.

I've read that many people get excellent results with USB modems but a few have experienced slowdowns. The USB (Universal Serial Bus) system is more sophisticated and faster than the 16550 UART-based serial port common up to now for plugging in external devices such as modems into PCs and has more bandwidth. However, that bandwidth is shared if you have several peripherals plugged into your PC. This is particularly the case if you are using a hub to provide extra connections (the hub should also provide extra power for peripherals as well as extra connections). This means that in some circumstances, the performance of USB modems might be affected by other peripherals you have installed. Also, problems have been reported with running USB devices under Win98 SE. However, anything would be better than a soft modem!

I believe the 3COM/US Robotics modem now comes in a USB version.

It's a shame you can't get Cable or ASDL in your area yet because since I went to Cable a few months ago I have a totally different gaming and file downloading experience. :D

O

old.Kez

I use 56e (Diamond) and get 120~ pings in Q3 etc. I dont think the internal jobby is any faster, but unless you can be bothered to seek out the blacklist removal init string, I wouldn't bother (as they stop dialling a number at 15 tries, which means turning the modem on and off, which means the pc also if its an internal jobby) ... shit hot as far as old v90 modems go.

O

old.ander

Thanks guys for all the info, i have taken your advice and bought a :-

Manufacturer : DIAMOND
Product : SupraExpress 56k Ext Pro RP

from dabs only £51 and i am hoping for it to arrive today:D fingers crossed.

I am assuming i just plug it into the correct port and change me settings in control panels to use this modem??

O

old.MrFragem

Looks like a good choice :) The list of awards it has on Diamond's website is very impressive!

More info here: http://www.diamondmm.de/diamondde/eng/products/comm/56epro2.htm

p.s. Warning! for general info: It seems that the internal version that I had isn't listed anymore and the internal PCI version that is offered now may now be soft modem or partially soft. Although it claims to have "all the critical hardware" it also says it is a "cost effective controllerless PCI design" (be very careful with any modem listed as a PCI model). In fact, looking at the specifications on Diamond's website it seems that both internal models they offer are soft only. Stick to Diamond's external modems from now on!

O

old.illusion-spirit

Very fine choice m8:)

I did the same thing....went from a software modem to the supra 56e and the difference is AMAZING! Ping is lower, (250-145) but the main thing is that I almost never lag out anymore (goodbye red disconnect symbol :E). The result is that I now feel I can really compete without being seriously disadvantaged!

If you want to tweak it try http://www.lagless.com, it can be handy! One of the things you will learn there is that it can actually be beneficial to limit your connect speed using an init. string (I use "at+ms=12,1,300,41333" -- the site will explain what this means and how to use it...). For some people (me included) this can help to stabilise ping :).

Further, my advise to people buying a new modem would be to get an external serial modem since these are more or less guaranteed to be hardware. U can never be sure with usb/internal modems...

Hope this helps :)
Happy fraggin'

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom