Games Game Transfer Phenomena

eksdee

FH is my second home
'Game transfer phenomena' and the problem of perception | Technology | guardian.co.uk

Thought this was an interesting article.

On a forum where many of us are avid gamers, has anyone experienced things like some of the situations described in the article?

I remember once, in a time where I was playing DAoC over 12 hours per day on a regular basis, being very confused that someone on TV didn't have their name above their head. It was something that happened for probably about 3 seconds and never again since, but I did find it a little scary and this article reminded me of it.

Chosen

Resident Freddy
Yeah, remember hitting my first 50 in DAoC. I did not want to loose my malmo spot, so was up for over 30 hours without rest.

The day after when I woke up from my mother, I thought she was a spiritmaster beeing mad at me for not following the list :p

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Can't say I have really. I don't concentrate that often when playing MMOs and I am mostly AFK anyway, doing other stuff or talking to the wife.

Chilly

Balls of steel
worst I ever got was dreaming about the game - daoc, mario, wipeout are the only ones I ever spent enough time and brain on to have that happen, though.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I have recently had minecraft inspired dreams, or well, aspects of minecraft enter a dream should I say. Dreams are usually just your mind processing what you have been doing recently though so it's no surprise. Used to have the odd DAOC dream when I played that some years ago too, some of them pretty good iirc...better than Mythic's effort anyway!

megadave

I am a FH squatter
The Daily Mail and Metro versions are immense reading :p

Not as if it's only videogames, after a 12 hour drive I remember my mate instinctively looked for his mirrors when walking around a corner, or the times I instinctively expect a replay when watching live football.

Will

/bin/su
Aye, it isn't just a gaming thing. My Dad noticed that I clear my blind spots when crossing the road which is a habit from all the cycling I do.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Yeh weird init. I instinctively try to close all my browser windows and delete history even when I've only been wanking off a pig in my job.

Sydrik

Resident Freddy
Someone cut me up after I'd had a mammoth session on GTA so I caved his head in with a crowbar.

I also used to play a lot of wrestling games which was bad for my best mate, steel chair shots DO hurt and you DONT get up from them.

[/sarcasm]

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
even when I've only been wanking off a pig in my job.

You wank off pigs at work? :eek7:

In aaaany case, love the "Predictably, tabloid reports have been rather sensationalist", which makes the article A+ in my book.

"Yes, yes i have.", rings the answer as i remember seeing things in real world as game objects. Though to be fair, i worked as a graphic artist at the time, or a modeller if you prefer and i saw every single f*cking thing in polygons.

Even polygons!

Games can even help in real world, like for example minecraft can help someone realise dimensions easier. Or some such notion ignored by granddaddy media who thinks playing portal makes you more inclined to fiddle women from inside a toilet bowl.

eksdee

FH is my second home
Aye, it isn't just a gaming thing. My Dad noticed that I clear my blind spots when crossing the road which is a habit from all the cycling I do.

I do this also. :p

rynnor

Rockhound
I think anything you concentrate on for a length of time warps your perception's - its not a game only phenomena.

I remember working on a farm picking strawberrys one summer as a student - after a week of it anything red started looking like a strawberry.

I cant stand bloody strawberrys in the 20 years since :p

ileks

Part of the furniture
If I play online poker before bed I often wake up in the night thinking I'm still playing. Used to get daoc dreams as well.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
I've had issues with seeing textures/polygons in real life. Although as I've never been a 12 hour shift kind of gamer, I'd attribute that more to acid flashbacks.......

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Back when I played Tetris on my Gameboy a lot, I had visual hallucinations and dreams of how to link shapes together all the time. I've always looked at patterns around me looking at how to link them together or run them as a maze. I'm told it's a symptom for some mental disorders. It's also why I'm a demon at Tetris. :)

When I was playing Wipeout 2097 on my PSX, I was having dreams of airbraking into turns. When you're playing as the Piranha shark, it's even more important.

When I was playing Tribes, I had dreams that I was flying through the air and skiing down hills. The thing is that Tribes was actually a visualisation of a recurring dream I'd been having since I was a kid... running down a hill taking bigger and bigger leaps until you take a leap that you don't come back down from.

I have plenty of other experiences, so yeah, I can totally understand the thrust of the article. I've been doing these mental and visual things since I was a kid and not had a name for it.

Cyberpsyke

Regular Freddie
Hello!!!
Many of you have shown interest to share your experiences about Game Transfer Phenomena (GTP) in this forum.

Currently, I am looking for participants for my next study about GTP. This is an explorative survey about GTP for my PhD project. The main objective of this survey is to explore what types of Game Transfer Phenomena (GTP) are more common among gamers and to find out about the general characteristics of GTP.

The survey takes approximately 10 minutes.

Here is my website. There you can access the survey, visit my blog and you are very welcome to join my GTP group on Facebook.
www.gametransferphenomena.com
Angelica

Last edited by a moderator:

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I think the most noticable for me after playing years of DAOC, which was my first mmorpg is that whenever a situation got hairy, in a pub for instance, I became hyper aware of attack from every angle, if someone was getting a bit arsey I would immediatley look around to check if he had back up anywhere in the room.
Something I never did before DAOC.

Cyberpsyke

Regular Freddie
I think the most noticable for me after playing years of DAOC, which was my first mmorpg is that whenever a situation got hairy, in a pub for instance, I became hyper aware of attack from every angle, if someone was getting a bit arsey I would immediatley look around to check if he had back up anywhere in the room.
Something I never did before DAOC.

Thanks for share you experience Job. I have heard similar experiences before but not associated with DAOC. You are very welcome to visit my page, there you can access some of my GTP papers.
Also you are welcome to participated in the GTP survey, so we can learn more about GTP ;)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Funnily enough I've never seen a high ledge in real life and jumped while firing a rocket launcher at my feet in an attempt to reach it.

Shame. :(

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
and are you hot?

This is what lept to my mind too. I've been searching for something more meangful to do since effectively binning IT off as a career. In the absence of anything better getting it on with a Postgrad chick with an interest in gaming would fill the gap. She's local after all.

Then I found out she was from Nottingham Trent University. And I'm not into slumming it.

;)

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
After playing games like Borderlands for too long, I sometimes think the real world is cell shaded.

Sar

Part of the furniture
I get that all the time. Worst of it came when I was out killing hookers and stealing cars after playing GTA3 for far too many hours.

;)

Cyberpsyke

Regular Freddie
After playing games like Borderlands for too long, I sometimes think the real world is cell shaded.
I have heard exactly the same experience before. This has an explanation. It is called perceptual adaptation. When we expouse for long periods of time to certain parttern or visual distortion, we can experience some type of after effect.

What I am trying to do with my research is to explain this type of experiences. Since sometimes the GTP experiences are missinterpretated.

I hope you can help me in my PhD project. I will publish the result at my blog.
www.gametransferphenomena.com/survey.html

gtp_visual_c.png

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I get that all the time. Worst of it came when I was out killing hookers and stealing cars after playing GTA3 for far too many hours.

;)

I hear you Sar. Such a good thing I can run faster than the cops when I have my combat knife out though.

gohan

FH is my second home
Back when I played Tetris on my Gameboy a lot, I had visual hallucinations and dreams of how to link shapes together all the time. I've always looked at patterns around me looking at how to link them together or run them as a maze. I'm told it's a symptom for some mental disorders.
erm..... I don't even play tetris but I do this, I look for paterns and soloutions in everything, always. I also have 0 attention span, take no notes and do no revision yet get Distictions in everything and remember quotes etc from books in English Litt and where abouts it's from, chapter/scene etc...... But I can't spell for shit and my grammar is terrible..... maybe I'm ADHDYSLEXIC new condition I've just made up :D

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I will remember this when you become the next business magnate / supreme leader / president / scientist / uber serial-killer, Gohan :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom