GAME.NET Weekly Newsletter 5th September 2003

B

bigfoot

Fully clickable version here - http://play.game.net/newsletters/5thSeptember.htm

GAME.NET News
This weekend sees the GAME-sponsored World Cyber Games 2003 UK Finals taking place at the Shepherds Bush Pavilion, clans and players alike having competed on GAME.NET servers across the month of August to secure their place at the Finals and give themselves a chance to win their share of £50,000 worth of prizes, including the chance to go to South Korea and represent the UK at the World Finals in October. We ran qualifying events for two of the six tournaments, the largest being for Counter-Strike with the following teams battling through a knock-out stage and a group competition to secure their berth:

Group Winners - Legend, theb0g, id0t, The Next Generation!
Group Runners-Up - twisted Reality, SODA, Blacklight, VETS
Full results for the online qualifiers can be found here, all those sides are in action today (Friday) in the Counter-Strike Finals, whilst on Sunday the following four players will join others in the Unreal Tournament 2003 Finals:

Qualifier Winner - Mortal1ty
Runner-Up - Quasar
3rd place - Stevo / Megabeans
Full results from the UT2K3 online qualifier can be found here and I wish good luck to all the clans and players who qualified via our tournaments, the eight clans and four UT2K3 winners all picking up year-long GAME.NET Subscriptions for their efforts.

I should mention that if you are reading this on Friday evening it may still be possible for you to attend the event and participate, on Saturday the games being featured are Warcraft 3 and Fifa 2003 (both PC versions), whilst Sunday sees the aforementioned UT2K3 competition and Age of Mythology as the main events. Alternatively GAME are offering 200 people the chance to get in free as Spectators, simply pop along to this site and select the day you want to attend, you will then get in for free (saving £10) and not only be able to watch the drama as it unfolds but also be able to browse the various funky exhibition pods that are on show.

Server updates for this past week are as follows:

BattleField 1942 updated to v1.45 (see Files & Patches section).
Quake 3 mod Rocket Arena 3 updated to v1.7 (see Files & Patches section).
Half-Life Guard updated to 1.50.02.
UT2K3 mutator NoCentreView added.

What's On
Sunday 7th September 2003
Operation Flashpoint @ 17:00
Counter-Strike @ 20:00
Monday 8th September 2003
Elite Force II @ 19:00
Half-Life: Team Fortress Classic @ 21:00

Tuesday 9th September 2003
Battlefield 1942 @ 20:30
New Event >>> Vietcong @ 21:00 <<< New Event

Wednesday 10th September 2003
Medal of Honor @ 19:00
Natural Selection @ 19:00
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory @ 20:00
Battlefield 1942: Desert Combat @ 21:00

Thursday 11th September 2003
Half-Life: Day of Defeat @ 20:30
Half Life: Team Fortress Classic (TFC) @ 21:00

Friday 12th September 2003
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory @ 13:00

Files and Patches
Trailers
A load of trailers to get through this week, partly due to the European Computer Trade Show (ECTS) event that took place last weekend. I'll start off with something non-tradey though with a trailer for upcoming Half-Life Rally mod, a small 11 MB trailer (get it here) showcasing some in-mod footage which once again just goes to prove how adaptable an engine Half-Life is, let us only hope the same is true of Half-Life 2.

On to the show-related trailers and the first to mention is for upcoming FPS game Stalker: Oblivion Lost. I reported on a trailer for this game a month or two ago and since then there has been a fair bit of media for it leaking out onto the internet, the 14 MB demo from ECTS is available to download here and, whilst not being as lengthy as the original trailer, does continue to help build the games reputation as one of the most visually impressive FPS titles of recent times. Also coming out of ECTS is a 44 MB trailer (get it here) featuring a ton of in-game footage from Massive Assault, an arcadey 3D RTS that certainly looks very busy and graphically impressive, although also appears if it might be a lot more manic than most RTS fans are used to.

Earlier in the year we had the annual E3 Trade Show and trailers from then are still making their way onto the net, one worthy of a mention this week. Mythica is an MMORPG with a difference, allowing you the opportunity to play in single-or-limited player realms along with also participating in the wider-game, I have to say I'm personally not that wowed by the 76 MB trailer but if you are into the genre then you might want to click here and have a look for yourself. Fighting Mythica for customers will be fellow MMORPG Anarchy Online, whose expansion pack Shadowlands is in production at the moment and for which a more impressive 26 MB trailer (get it here) was released last week as part of the build up for the games release.

No particular theme to link the next four trailers so I'll just chuck them together and let you pick out the best. The first to mention is for Restricted Area, an Isometric story-driven action game that allows you to play four different characters, use hundreds different skills and countless weapons in a futuristic environment. Looking at this demo it reminded me very much of a cross between the old-skool game Crusader: No Remorse and Baldur's Gate, have a look for yourself by grabbing the 19 MB download here. Also worth a look is a trailer for Space Colony, a demo for this game is also available but I haven't been able to track that down, for now you can have a butchers at the 10 MB trailer for this people/city sim by clicking here. The third game to mention in this section is The Forgotten World, a unique mix of the RTS, RPG and FPS genres it is graphically pretty impressive and you can download a small trailer or a selection of in-game scenes.

Two sequels to mention before I move onto the final bunch of trailers, the first being Commandos 3 which has seen a demo released this week (details below) along with a tiny trailer showing how the sniper aspect of the game works. You can grab the movie here, whilst also available to download is a demo featuring CGI and in-game footage from Ultima X, the 26 MB movie (get it here) doesn't give much hope for a great leap forward in the series but, as someone who didn't even know the game was in development, I'm happy to see one of the games I enjoyed as a novice PC gamer is still alive.

The final three trailers to mention this week are all for games inspired by films, the first being for the incoming Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy which hits the shelves in two weeks time. Featured in the 7 MB movie (get it here) is the usual array of Lightsaber and force power fun, along with a few glimpses of the cut-scenes, honestly it doesn't look to me like a huge advance of the last game in the series but I'm sure you Star Wars fans will go nuts for it. If you like your movies more "modern-day" then you might be a fan of the Terminator trilogy, I quite enjoyed the recent film and it'll be of little surprise to most of you to learn that there is a game due that is loosely based around the aftermath of the latest installment. Unlike most movie-games Terminator 3: War of the Machines doesn't actually look that bad, an FPS game with the usual multiplayer support it will also allow you to play the Arnie role in what looks like an enjoyable bit of fluff, see for yourself by clicking here. >From machine guns to swords for the final trailers as good and evil in-game movies for RTS title The Lord of the Rings: War of the Rings have been unveiled, the game looks lovely and gives you a choice of playing the goodies or baddies, hence the two different trailers.

Playable Demos
Lots of lubbly demos for you to get your hands on this Friday, most for sequels but one that isn't is for a futuristic 3D / Action game called Yager, a 201 MB demo offering three full levels from the game and available to download here. The action / FPS game Chrome is set in a similar futuristic environment and hits the shelves two weeks from today, I've not heard much about this one but it looks pretty smart and has an interesting storyline, a 314 MB demo (ouch) can be downloaded here. The other "slightly original" game to have a demo released for it this past week is the tongue-twister driving game Midnight Outlaw Illegal Street Drag Nitro Edition, a 91.5 MB demo (get it here) giving you a chance to get behind the wheel and decide whether or not it is for you.

Although it technically isn't a sequel it has to be said that Call of Duty borrows heavily from the Medal of Honor series of games, not that surprising when you consider it comes from pretty much the same team who developed the WW2 shooter before they moved on to other things. The 174 MB demo gives you a single player mission from the game and sees you launching an attack on some German AA guns, generally the response to this demo has been pretty good on our forums so if you want to have a look yourselves then click here. I should also mention that a demo of the next Medal of Honor game is due next week so look out for that to be linked in this section of next Friday's Newsletter

Dealing with the others in numerical order, Etherlords 2 has seen a 199 MB demo released, this fantasy-based strategy game is due out later this year and for a taste of the action click here to grab the demo that offers two missions and tutorials from the game. Demos are also available for Mall Tycoon 2 and HomeWorld 2, the former weighs in at 37 MB and can be downloaded here, whilst the HomeWorld 2 demo (get it here) is a more sizeable at 141 MB and features a tutorial, two single player and two multiplayer missions from the spanky looking spaced-based RTS game.

With a large trailer released the other week for Commandos 3: Destination Berlin the hype machine is now in full swing with a 265 MB demo released featuring a tutorial and "The Train Mission" from the full game, although I'm personally not that interested in that type of game I know that it has its fans and if you want to have a look for yourselves click here. The final demo to mention is for Warlords 4, the 142 MB demo (available here) features a single mission for this Turn-based strategy cum RPG game, the mission being playable on your own or with friends.

Game Patches
A few patches to cover off this week with a number of very different titles getting a lick of paint, the first to mention is for Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness. It is fair to say that the latest in the Lara Croft series was still unfinished on its delayed release and a small 9 MB patch will take it to v49, hopefully making it a bit more enjoyable and fans should certainly not give up hope yet of seeing a quality Lara adventure in the future, I was reading just the other day that Eidos, the publishers of the game, are changing the studio who develop it in order to get a fresh approach to the franchise. Let's keep our fingers crossed that whatever the buxom one gets up to next is as enjoyable as Worms 3D is likely to be, if you are a fan of that series of games you will be happy to hear that a patch for Worms: Armageddon is now available to download here.

The key patch with regards to our services this week was an update for BattleField 1942, you can download this in two flavours as either a 50 MB v1.4 to v1.45 incremental patch or as a 110 MB v1.45 full upgrade. I should mention that BF1942 can be a bit tricky on the old updating process, if you have any problems you should uninstall the game, reinstall it and then upgrade using the larger of the two patches.

With it not even being out yet in this country it is perhaps a worrying sign that Tron 2.0 has been patched already, this is not uncommon these days though for a lot of games, especially ones with multiplayer aspects which often don't get the full testing they need across all the different combinations of systems which exist out in PC land. It is still a couple of weeks before you can actually get your hands on the game in this country but if you want to be prepared then you can download the 22mb v1.1 patch and put it somewhere safe on your HD until the game drops through your letterbox.

Mods
A bumper week for mods with the main service-related change being the upgrade of Rocket Arena 3, the popular mod for Quake 3. The upgrade comes in two flavours, either a 120MB v1.7 full client version or an incremental update from v1.6 to v.1.7 that comes in at just under 30 MB, I've heard some really good things about this new version so if you have Quake 3 lying about I recommend giving it ago. A distant cousin of Rocket Arena 3 would be the Team Elite Mod for Elite Force (related thru the Quake 3 engine of course), v2 of this Team Fortress style mod has now been released.

Two BattleField 1942 mods to mention next, the first being for Pirates, the high-sees mod which takes you back to times of old and for which the 52 MB Alpha 0.21 has been released. Also new this week is a new version of Interstate 82, a retro-mod which offers plenty of vehicle-based combat across the highways of America. If you fancy having a look at this mod then you should download the full 208MB v1.1 and then grab the tiny v1.1 to v1.2 update.

A couple of minor Half-Life mods to round off the files section, the first being an update to a mod I mentioned in the last Newsletter a couple of weeks ago. Rats-Mod is a funky little mod which puts you in the body of a rat in several real-life environments, Beta 2.1 comes in at 37 MB with the small Beta 2.0 to Beta 2.1 update also available. Also perhaps worth a look is Gangwars, a modified version of Counter-Strike for which a 17 MB upgrade has been released, taking it from v1.4 to v1.44.

Special Offers
One of the more interesting game releases of this year has been Republic: Revolution, a "Politics" simulation which has been in development for many years and is truly a unique game when you consider that every second game released is either a sequel or based around WW2. Our man in Novistrana, aka GAME activist CJRavey, has managed to get his hands on the game to give it his reviewing treatment, you can read what he has to say by clicking the game name.

Those of you who own a GameCube and have a penchant for all things Star Wars might be interested to hear about a deal we are running on our shop site, if you pre-order Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike now (it comes out in October) you will get a free bonus disc - GAME being the only UK retailer to offer this. This is one that might also interest you retro gamers out there as the Bonus Disc contains the original arcade version of Star Wars that came out in 1982 (one of the great arcade games in my opinion) along with a demo of the game, trailers, concept art and bags more.

In the past few days you might have seen trailers on the TV for the remake of The Italian Job, the great heist flick that starred Michael Caine and featured many a memorable moment. The remake is set in Venice and America and has drawn some fairly favourable reviews, even though it stars Marky Mark, but for gamers the remake has also seen a corresponding game release. If you head on over to this page you can read more about a fantastic competition we are running to mark the movie & game release, giving you the chance to win a pair of tickets to the premiere of the movie on Monday 15th September and also a John Cooper Challenge Scalextric set!!!

No doubt the time will come when The Great Escape is remade, probably with an accomplished modern-day actor such as Ashton Kutcher in the Steve McQueen role, but until then you can enjoy the original via the recently released game which is available on all formats. We've also put together a nice little competition in association with the game's publishers SCi and are giving away a Mini-Fridge and some Baseball gear. If you are wondering how that ties into the film then head over to this page and find out more, along with how to enter, I'd thoroughly recommend that you do because, as an owner of a Mini-Fridge, I can tell you it has been a godsend over this Summer.

Regards,

Dave "BigFoot" Angus
GAME.NET Community Liaison

If you need any help or have any questions, we have a page set up to help you.

Please don't reply to this e-mail - we have all the support you need ready for you elsewhere.

http://www.game.net/
http://www.game.uk.com/

To Unsubscribe from this Community Newsletter simply go to this page, Logon and click the Unsubscribe button.

Users who are viewing this thread