GAME.NET Weekly Newsletter 2nd May 2003

T

TedTheDog

GAME.NET News

Welcome to the GAME.NET weekly community Newsletter.
An important addition to our organised games is Sunday night's CounterStrike event, which should keep a few of you happy. And don't forget, this is not like playing on a normal, anonymous public server; we are, in effect, a private club and therefore you can expect higher standards of conduct on our servers. You also get to taunt your victims and praise your team-mates on the forums afterwards as everyone you are playing against is a member of the same private club.
Another important bit of news is that our high capacity, super fast direct link to Telewest went on trial this week, which should mean superb connections for all Telewest and Blueyonder customers to our servers.
Right, on with the games...

What's On

Sunday 4th May 2003

Half Life: CounterStrike
Time: 20:00 - 23:00
Start off playing Popular map/maps then the players request maps new/old (make sure you have previous "Official" maps). Also Server 2 will be running FY maps for fast fun fragging sessions (IP = 213.221.174.6:27016)
More details

Operation FlashPoint
Time: 15:00 - 17:00
The big Sunday afternoon co-op game, GAME.NET' s longest-standing organised game.
More details

Jedi Knight 2
Time: 15:00 - 17:00
Merc vs Jedi game, tweaked force for the jedi to make things a little fairer on the Mercs. This is a fairly heavily tested config and we think we've got the balance just right to allow for a challenging playing experiance for both sides. All JK2 players are welcome. Server will be announced in IRC 30 minutes before the event is due to start. Any questions please feel free to contact Damage or Yoni
More details

Monday 5th May 2003

Star Trek Voyager Elite Force
Time: 19:00 - 21:00
A chance for the community of this long-running game to meet up and compete / muck about, perhaps with one-off tournaments.
More details

Tuesday 6th May 2003

Battlefield 1942
Time: 20:30 - 22:30
Tuesday Night Fragathon, usually held on Conquest #1 server however may occasionally feature Road to Rome.
More details

Operation FlashPoint
Time: 20:00 - 22:00
The gentler introduction to playing Operation Flashpoint. 100% newbie-friendly, giving you the time to learn how to play as part of a team.
More details

Quake 3 Arena: Urban Terror Mod
Time: 20:30 - 22:30
It’s a fun event and all levels of player are welcome.
More details

Soldier of Fortune 2
More details

Wednesday 7th May 2003

Ghost Recon
The first weekly game - running both co-op and team DM - numbers permitting.
More details

Battlefield 1942: Desert Combat
Time: 21:00 - 23:00
Weekly game to play the increasingly popular Desert Combat mod for BF1942.
Game details
Mod details

Quake 3 Arena: Capture The Flag
Time: 21:00 - 22:30
Every Wednesday night from 9pm there will be a session for those who want some Capture The Flag action! Undoubtedly the best game type Quake 3 has to offer, everyone is welcome, whether you are new to online gaming, new to Quake 3 or an experienced fragger!
More details

Thursday 8th May 2003

Half Life: Team Fortress Classic (TFC)
Time: 21:00 - 23:00
An organised TFC (Team Fortress Classic) game open to all subscribers, this will be a regular weekly event held every Thursday. We can offer a friendly atmosphere, and an adminned game to keep things running smoothly and fairly.
More details

Files and Patches
The first non-beta release of the seriously popular WWII Half-Life Mod Day of Defeat v1.0 arrived on our FTP server overnight. It weighs in at 173mb or so, but if you have Half-Life and a broadband connection (or a lot of patience) then this might worth a download for you. Theres no upgrade files from previous versions, just a single install file to make life easier. And if you have a previous version of the mod you need to delete it or rename it to something else before installing.
The server lads are looking at our DoD servers today with a view to upgrading them to v1.0

Special Offers and stuff
Although we mentioned it last week it's worth mentioning again that Eve Online: The Second Genesis will exclusively be available from us for the first month of it's UK release. The release date has also slipped to 6th May, but thats just next week! This hugely anticipated .... no, I wont rant on about it in a newsletter, go and read the blurb.

Oh, and for you Flight Sim addicts out there the outrageously detailed, complex and involving Flight Sim 2002 is on special offer bundled with a MS Sidewinder Pro Force Feedback Joystick. A good friend of mine has flown right round the world in this, in real time. None of this wimping out and using accelerated time nonsense, he sat there and went right round the world, picking a different plane for each leg of the journey. Took him weeks but he made it. Now THATS dedication! Take a bow Mike, if you can stand that is.....

And Finally
If you have any comments to make on this newsletter (ooh I just KNOW I'm going to regret this) or have any ideas or suggestions or questions, then Pop over to this thread on our forums and ramble away.... er.. you know... have your say. We'll read everything and only delete the worst abuse, honest.
Oh, and next week I should have news on our GAME Master recruitment process and an application page and "Job Description" for those numerous masochists amongst you who have thankfully expressed an interest in organising games and generally helping out here.

C

cro

any chance you could send the emails plaintext with the URLs written out and NOT as an HTML email? makes it hard to read when your email client doesn't support HTML mail...

/me fluffles tedly

T

TedTheDog

Heh, wotcha Tommo.
Er, we tried plain text emails and it was horrible. A sea of text and urls.
The FTP urls are several kilometres long and a real pain without hyperlinks, and the forum links aren't far behind.
My advice is, get a better mail client you minimalist loony :fluffle: , or unsubscribe from the newsletter and come here each week instead!

Oh, and if you insist on complaining about the Title you'll have to accept the consequences :p

S

Sujoy

You know you could always do a multipart email with both html and plain text versions to keep everyone happy!

[edit]
I've been using this php class for mailshots for events I've been running. Complete control over plain text version, html version, attachments, embedded images, and anyhting else you can think of:
http://phpmailer.sourceforge.net/

PS: The forum wouldn't let me post anything else so I had to add it here!
[/edit]

M

MYstIC G

/me ponders taking Teds horrors to the next level

I knew reading stuff would come in handy one day ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom