game music copyright

pikeh

Resident Freddy
heya
looking to use some samples from the sonic megadrive games in some music im recording
just wondered if anyone knew about using them, whether its illegal or whatever. im guessing if i never release it then its fine?

HORSE the band do the same with old nintendo games, but im not sure if they have created the sounds themselves using a synth of whatever

any help appreciated!

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
The crucial part here is "use". What do want to use it for?

From my experience, I can only recommend to be very careful with Nintendo. They´re pretty strict with their copyrights.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
The crucial part here is "use". What do want to use it for?

From my experience, I can only recommend to be very careful with Nintendo. They´re pretty strict with their copyrights.

wanted to use some of the act music as intro's to a song
then break off into some metalcore or somesuch :D

if its going to be a load of hassle then i wont bother
but that band i was talking about have songs such as "House of Boo" and "Birdo" with samples etc.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
i dont think you could use it in any commercial way.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
You'd need to email them and ask. I know a few people (Happy 2B Hardcore) who use alot of their intros with permission.

Also, check the copyright of the version you're ripping for.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
heya
looking to use some samples from the sonic megadrive games in some music im recording
just wondered if anyone knew about using them, whether its illegal or whatever. im guessing if i never release it then its fine?

HORSE the band do the same with old nintendo games, but im not sure if they have created the sounds themselves using a synth of whatever

any help appreciated!

best way to deal with it is to actually ask THEM about it. and asking them gives you a slight better chance to actually be allowed to use them rather then trying to use them anyway and they get pissed and sues ur ass :)

/edit: but usually most companies don't have a problem with it (unless its Nintendo) if ur not trying to make money on it.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
wouldnt ever want to make money from it
more of an experiment than anything else
and the fact i cant afford my own synth equipment :D

thanks for help guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom