Game is choppy and will not work

L

Lamia Acerbus

Okay I have finally got the game and everything is working good, installation went smoothly (copied all 3 main ffxi install disks to hard drive and installed form there) however when I actually get int ot he game to create a character the game seems to be choppy and stops to load every 30 seconds or so and I cannot actually do anything. :(

Has anyone else been getting this? I have to say i have no idea what i am doing, I have pdated all frivers for graphics cards...even direct x and it still is doing it. I just cannot understand what is going on. My machine is definatly above recomended and I can play things like EQ or SWG with all settings whacked up full with no issues. Yet this game once I get into the game straight after selecting play from play online menu it goes all choppy and it is really driving me nuts. Is anyone here a computer whizz and could assist me, I took my systems specs from the playonline view if this will help.*sighs as it is now midnight and still no joy*

=============================== System

CPU = AMD Athlon XP(TM) Processor
CPU Speed = 2092 MHz
OS = Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 Ver 5.01.2600
Version of DirectX = DirectX 9.0
Main Memory = Capacity: 1023MB : Free Space: 740MB
Drive [C:\] = Local Disk Free Space: 111.37 GB (Capacity: 147.43 GB )

Graphics Card = NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
Type of Chip = Unknown Video Chip
Video Driver = nv4_disp.dll
Version = 6.14.10.4523
Updated = 07/28/2003 03:19 PM
VRAM = 128.0MB
AvailableVidMem = 124.8MB
AvailableTextureMem = 245.0MB

Sound Card = Realtek AC97 Audio
Sound Driver = ALCXWDM.SYS
Version = 5.10.5216
Updated = 06/09/2003 12:14 AM

S

spathi

hmm shit, i have exactly the same card and just a slightly faster CPU ... i really hope this doesnt happen to me, guess i'll find out tomorrow when i get the game delivered...

just one question : did the Benchmark 2 program run okay on your computer?

S

spathi

also what is your connection? if 56k that could be the problem since i assume at least some servers are in japan and newbie killing fields are bound to be busy ...

everyone i know whose got the game is currently in and wont come out and speak, but usually lag "isnt a problem" :s

<waits in anticipation>

S

Sharma

It will be the GFX cards as MXs are budget cards, if you can splash about 130 pounds a Radeon 9600 pro OR a Geforce FX 5600, either of them should help, as i said, MX cards a budget cards, a GF MX 440 is comparable to a GF 2 Ultra. :)

S

spathi

well i got 3500 on low on benchmark and around 2300-2400 on high, which "should be fine to run on high res" according to square...

plus i play maxed res daoc / call of duty / SWG and more etc with no problems at all ...

ESPECIALLY if you turn the options down (which i assume our friend Lamia has thought to do) an MX card should be ample.

S

Sharma

On the Benchmark i got about 3k on low res with an MX card, but since its ran off your machine and not actually a live server where there are god knows how many other things are going on the benchmark may be a bit irrelevant when compared with live servers.

L

Lamia Acerbus

Well after fantically messing about and searching as many forums as possible I have managed to make it work and all is smooth and nice and I have been messing about in character selections to try and get this Bismark server but to no avail yet :(

I managed to fix it by going to nvidia perfomance and quality settings and make Antialise Settings x2 and Anisotrpic Filtering x2.

Never messed about with those before, but it seems to have done the trick..if I put AS on x4 I got choppy again but x2 is working great. *cheers again* I have to say I was getting a little worried there for a while and connection speed is umm..512k DSL (BT Broadband)

It was happening on benchmark too, but managed to fix that as well....I feel so proud. :)

L

Lamia Acerbus

Yay...I finally found Bismack although I was getting bored and ended up going through al the characters and hairstyles...etc As i was deleting them, found quickest way is to make your character using dursor keys and return.

Then when you get to creat new handle just press escape go to delete and see what server you are on, if not the one you want delete and go back to create new character and keep going for a couple of hours and it seems i have ended up as a elvaan female, with bright red hair. Now I am sure you dont see too many of those running around...lol

Who knows may keep her...but from what I have heard even if I delete I keep the same server. But just had a run around town as thats all I could do, not looked at any controls and lag is umm..well have not noticed anything yet, so i guess i really did fix card but then again did rn past 1 pc and 3 fishing and the rest were all npc's but I really should sleep now. :)

So will let you know what its like tomorrow night, as I will come out of the game to make your mouth water a little more!

M

moona

try your Background resolution settings on 1024x1024

L

Lamia Acerbus

I had last night the options of;

General - Sound and mip mapping enabled with gamma 0.0
Screen size - Overlay 1024x768 background 1024x1024
Textures - Texture uncompressed and maps compressed (will give maps a go with uncompressed again after work tonight)
effects environmental smooth (bump mapping does not work on my card)
misc - useing softward mouse

Everything was working fine, just seemed to be I needed to have AS and AF at x2 to make it all work correctly. Never had to use those before but it all runs nice now.

If I recall when I did the benchmark after I set it all up I got 3400 or so with low and was in the 3000's for high too if I recall but not as high as 3400. :)

Well I hope this helps, oh yes...had a problem on first disc of trying to install as set up would not run. So I copied all 3 ffxi discs to a directory and installed it from there and everything went perfect (I did have to reboot first as it had problems copying the setup.exe file afer I tried running it). PoL and Expansion discs I installed from cd as they worked.

I guess its off to work now for another long day of being deep in the code. :(

C

Cyfr

I have to use antianalising 4x and antisotropic 8x to get nice gfx :(

Users who are viewing this thread