Game charts are fake!!

O

old.unakc

My friend works at HMV and use to work at Game. He's a manager in HMV atm and deals with all sorts of orders with stuff they buy in so on. Anyways i was talking to him the other night about game charts and how i cant berlive some games get where they get. He then goes on to inform me that both HMV and Game and im sure all other shops like these get paid by the game companys to get in the Top 10 chart. If a game company wants there game at the No. 1 slot for a month then they have to pay X amount and the lower the chart rank the less they pay, HMV, Game to get in the chart.
Maybe some of you know this but i was supprised to say the least and that just goes to show how real bad games get to the top spot.

M

Mr Happy Lucky

jah.gif

K

Kieron

GAME do not take any payment for chart positions

We pride ourselves in having accurate and un-sponsored charts.

Best

Kieron

X

Xtro

why the original poster deemed to tell the world that at 4 AM FFS I just can't fathom

N

nath

He was running away from Agents of Game and HMV, and had to get the information on the net before he got labotomised. Now we know your evil secret Kieron.. YOU WON'T GET AWAY WITH THIS YOU FACIST!!!!

L

lynchet

What I want to know then Kieran -------- if your charts are unsponsored have you recently changed to this or are you accusing the posters friend of lieing about Game :)

O

old.Kez

Re: GAME do not take any payment for chart positions

Originally posted by Kieron
We pride ourselves in having accurate and un-sponsored charts.
I expect every other company charged with fixing chart positions also prides themselves on their integrity. As if they, or you, would admit to it were it the truth.

H

Happy Go Lucky

why not use the official charts then ? or better still read the reviews?

Look at the official chart track charts and compare them with the retailer charts and make up your own mind ;)

S

Sar

Instore Game charts are mainly made up by the employees in the store.

:)

W

whipped

The only reason that shit games get to number one on in-store charts is because there are some pretty stupid people out there. I mean, who in their right mind would actually purchase the sims and its gazillion expansions?

W

Wij

The Sims is fun :)

Only purchased the first expansion tho.

N

nath

You did the nudey patch didn't you.

You make me sick tbh :(

W

Wij

I was given the nudey patch. I wasted no actual effort finding it.

I know someone who went to all the trouble of nudey patching DOAX Volleyball :D

(It was pretty good btw)

(Yes, Trebz/Reubs/Mesmer - you know who it was.)

N

nath

Ja I've seen it. Pretty impressive t&a for a computer game tbh.

W

Wij

If I wasn't surrounded by blokes at the time I'd have been tempted to knock one out :)

N

nath

Originally posted by Wij
Since I was surrounded by blokes at the time I was tempted to knock one out :)

Hurrah, my first forgery!

J

Jonny_Darko

Re: Re: GAME do not take any payment for chart positions

Originally posted by old.Kez
I expect every other company charged with fixing chart positions also prides themselves on their integrity. As if they, or you, would admit to it were it the truth.

It's nothing to do with what me admit...it's true. The charts are based on our sales. As are HMVs I believe.

Recently WHSmith announced they were going to charge for chart positions and the industry went ballistic...as a result of this I would assume none of the big players have paid-for chart slots, unless WHSmith went ahead against all the resistance of course. I think they backed down tbh.

O

old.unakc

Well tbh i trust my m8 whos worked at HMV now for years and he knows for a fact that HMV do get paid to put games in the chart.

S

Sar

I know for a fact that companies like EA pay/subsidise the in store GAME displays like standees etc.

J

Jonny_Darko

Originally posted by Sar
I know for a fact that companies like EA pay/subsidise the in store GAME displays like standees etc.

And...please don't say you're naive enough not to know this is standard high-street practise...

To advertise in space which someone else owns, you pay them. This is called "business".

You seem to be insinuating this is a bad thing? Do you propose that each store manager selects which standees to display "in accordance with the needs of the local community" or something?

S

Sar

No, no. Just stating that Game etc do take money for instore displays. Just not the charts. At least not Game anyway, dunno about HMV or WH Smith's.

E

Embattle

Originally posted by whipped
The only reason that shit games get to number one on in-store charts is because there are some pretty stupid people out there. I mean, who in their right mind would actually purchase the sims and its gazillion expansions?

I reckon Sim Superstar will make number 1 on release :p

Y

yankeedoodle

Originally posted by Sar
Instore Game charts are mainly made up by the employees in the store.

:)

this can be true, as my shop does it. when we run out of game x ill look at the sales figs and stick somthing there that is next best selling. Or if we havent got any of the games in stock that are in the chart, my staff will look at the sales data, and chart each format accordingly. So you could say in that instance the chart is locally specific.

its complete cobblers that the charts are paid for. its not my fault that the Sims take up the top 5. Stop buying them if you dont like it!! Even i look at the official chart in the trade press (which is where game gets its data) and i think "for gods sake, who is buying game X its blatantly crap" etc. But hey, people can buy what they like.

If i had my way id stick Ikaruga at the top of the GC chart nationwide...

T

The Fonz

I've heard that the latest Miss. Universe winner used beauty enhancing cosmetics to help sway her victory.

Now how is THAT for a story!

L

lynchet

Dunno but I volunteer for the job of doing a very close and thorough check of her for any trace of such cosmetics

Users who are viewing this thread