Fun discussion topic (controversial?). Feeeding mice to cats.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Pet cat.
Feed it foodmice(ones you feed pet snakes).
Let it hunt them around the apartment.

Wrong? Same as with snake? Alright? Opinions? :D

I personally don't see anything wrong with it, kinda cool way to feed a cat and keeps the predator senses alive( a tad).

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
At least give it a fighting chance to get away.

Hmm, that would be an interesting addition. Though would it be cruelty if the cat didn't catch stuff then and went on starving a bit?

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Might be fun 2 watch for a while...but if you're the house-proud kind of person, or you bring a woman back etc do you want bits of dead mouse all over your apartment?

- friends come over
- "lets move the sofa"
*move sofa*
- !! mouse head !! eek !

morally, don't see a problem with it. As you say, its ok for snakes

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Nothing morally wrong with it imo, however I wouldn't do it simply because the cat may fail and you'll have a mouse problem to deal with.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Hmm, that would be an interesting addition. Though would it be cruelty if the cat didn't catch stuff then and went on starving a bit?

Then it will become more motivated to catch it next time. But you might make it a bit too motivated perhaps? Depends on how you want the animal to behave.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
the cat may fail

lol

funny-picture-cat-fail.jpg

:D

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
dwarves carry buckets and spades and hand grenades

pikeh

Resident Freddy
my cat used to just chomp mice up and leaves their face and brain outside the front door for the postman. the rest of the entrails were scattered around the garden in various unfortunate places.

considering the amount of actual food/meat you get off a mouse its probably what? 10-20% of a bowl of cat food.

you could do it as an occasional game probably, but not as a sensible/healthy way of feeding a cat.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
They actually do.

do they? contrary to my earlier flippant statement, im not really saying they dont, only ive had loads of cats and theyve all caught mice but ive never seen one eat one.

gohan

FH is my second home
problem would be that cats are right *****

it would torture and play with the mouse rather than eat it, and when it was finnaly dead it would more like bring it to you uneaten as its no longer fun

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
Pet cat.
Feed it foodmice(ones you feed pet snakes).
Let it hunt them around the apartment.

Wrong? Same as with snake? Alright? Opinions? :D

I personally don't see anything wrong with it, kinda cool way to feed a cat and keeps the predator senses alive( a tad).
if you have a cat. you need a garden so it can keep its predator gene alive. Whats hard for a cat to catch a mice in an apartment? and what if it wont catch any of the mices, they all get away? let it starve?
Problem is you make the choice for the mouse while in nature it makes its own choice. Cats likes to play with mices, Snakes dont.
so.

Wrong.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Most domesticated cats will probably kill it and do nothing with it, or nearly kill it and end up playing with it.

Not really a fun discussion topic I'm afraid :p

megadave

I am a FH squatter
you shouldnt just feed the cat the mouse, it should capture it itself

sometimes my cat captures live mice and plays with them, she fucks it's legs up so it can't run off. i usually feel pretty bad for the little fellas

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
I watched my cat catch a mouse and break its neck then eat it, it was awesome

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
So on the same basis, can I take a cat and let my staff play with it a little before ripping its head off for crapping in my garden?

Yes, dogs prolly dont eat cats, just use them as dusters...

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
No thats not the same at all, domestic dogs arent predators, cats are

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
There's no need to feed a cat other live creatures. I also suspect the reason they only kill rather than eat mice is because most cats are fat and happy, and only kill smaller creatures out of instinct. If they weren't so well fed they'd be gobbling those mice right up.

I used to have a friend that kept snakes and he needed live rodents for feeding them since thats what they eat.

So no, I wouldn't feed live mice to a cat.

I find cat vs hedgehog quite amusing. We've got hedgehogs that visit our front garden every night. Occasionally we've seen cats approaching them. The Hoggies don't even bother. If the cat gets too close they just roll up and, to all intents and purposes, appear to have a nap until the cat goes away :D

Awesome defense mechanism. Imagine if people worked like that. All our wars would be much less energetic affairs.

ATTAAACKKK..... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Corran

Part of the furniture
one of mine just eats the brains & leaves the rest, but the same applies to birds & frogs.

BRAINS, are they just tasty tasty ?

that cat got a problem!
Zombie cats... scary

georgie

FH is my second home
I find cat vs hedgehog quite amusing. We've got hedgehogs that visit our front garden every night. Occasionally we've seen cats approaching them. The Hoggies don't even bother. If the cat gets too close they just roll up and, to all intents and purposes, appear to have a nap until the cat goes away :D

Awesome defense mechanism. Imagine if people worked like that. All our wars would be much less energetic affairs.

ATTAAACKKK..... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

It doesn't work so well against dogs though. Friends of my parents have got a Westie which cornered a hedgehog in their garden. As the owner said when they discovered what was left of it, "All that remained was its smile... and a big gooey mess".

pez

Can't get enough of FH
As has been pointed out already, its an inefficient way to feed a cat and if you are feeding the cat normally anyway the cat is unlikely to eat/kill the mouse which causes more problems.

Immoral? Not really since the mice are bred to be eaten by pets. Knowing you cat will just fuckit up a bit and not kill it and still giving it mice would be wrong imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom