Advice Fuel Consumption/Saving etc

Starman

Part of the furniture
Good to see my little '59 Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi Titanium keeps up with the rest of them with an avg of 58.8MPG.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So i do around 70 miles a day, motorway miles.

In a 1.6 focus zetec tdi it costs around £20 round trip in fuel money. That's doing around 80-90 mph contstant

Weird

I do 170 miles round trip every day in my 2L Civic Type-R. Costs me 30 quid. I drive ~100mph as much as possible.

What's weirder is that, if I go from there to, say, average 75mph I save about ten percent.

Ten. Maybe 3 or 4 (tops) quid.

It just aint worth it for me to slow down...

Kryten

Old Cow.
Jesus H Christ - motorway driving should reduce fuel consumption, so your car is either fucked or your driving style needing room for improvement! I begrudge having a £15 per 100 mile car sometimes, as old and thirsty as it is, but that will be nearer a tenner for 100 miles of the M1 on a reasonable and non stop-starty day.
Then again, if your car is something as aerodynamically cunty as a Multipla or Luton Van then I'll concede.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
My 2.0L Type-R is pulling 170 miles for 30 quid, yet Laddey's 1.6 focus zetec is costing £20 for 70 miles.

So yeah. I think Laddey's car's fucked.

Starman

Part of the furniture
I average around 430 miles per 40l tank which atm is around £60 to fill up.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I get about 250 miles from £40 in my LS400, but that's on LPG.

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Driving smoothly, as in not accelerating and breaking unnecessarily, can make a big difference in fuel consumption

Dunno if anyone's pointed out the non-driving-style related things you can do, like turning AC off, keeping your windows closed or removing any bike/roof racks if you dont use them

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
My 2.0L Type-R is pulling 170 miles for 30 quid, yet Laddey's 1.6 focus zetec is costing £20 for 70 miles.

So yeah. I think Laddey's car's fucked.
My Ford Focus 1.6 diesel costs £20 for 170miles.
I'l let you know what my next car's like when work finally get around to issuing it. Astra Sports Tourer 1.7 CDTi Exclusiv 110ps

I don't find having the AC on or windows open makes any appreciable difference to the mpg. I only have the AC on for a few minutes at a time to lower the ambient temp on hot days. I usually crack open the passenger window a couple of inches while I'm driving along for a cooling breeze that circulates.

JingleBells

FH is my second home
My 2l diesel gets about 570miles from a full tank, which is about £82 based on £1.37p a litre - and I have a heavy right foot

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I'm currently doing about 80 miles a day to get to work, using the M6/M5 invariably during rush hour. Being a proper man about things I am doing this in a BMW 328i, no econobluemotionwankyefficiency depressing shit box for me. Seriously, if I had to drive one of those hatefu things (or anything with a diseasal engine for that matter) for 2 hours a day, I would get home from work and stab the cat. Actually that's a lie, I don;t have a cat, so I would buy one and stab it.

Whats more the numbers actually stack up imo for using the 328. Its costing me about 19p a mile in fuel on the trip, a 330d would be 14p a mile, so around £1200 a year saving. However, to buy a 330d would cost me around 4k, so would take 3+ years to pay back, and any diesel related bills (which trust me aren't pretty. How does £1500 to fix the engine in my sister's 320d sound?) would wipe any savings out straight away.

Plus I'd say a lovely smooth straight six, which purrs on the motorway and growls when you spank it was more than worth £100 a month.

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Just traded my VW Bora TDI 130 for a BMW 123d Coupe.

The VW would get a solid 50mpg+ almost every time. Higher if I stuck to the speed limits, very occasionally lower if I was caning it. That's about 13p/mile, or £70 for 550miles.

First impressions of the 123d are that it is a bit thirstier, even though it has headline figures of 50mpg combined, but that was probably due to me rushing to get home.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
First impressions of the 123d are that it is a bit thirstier, even though it has headline figures of 50mpg combined, but that was probably due to me rushing to get home.

Interested to know what you think of the 123d.

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Only had one long motorway journey in it so far. Will give an appraisal after living with it for a week.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Interested to know what you think of the 123d.

Poor man's 130i, in all sorts of ways. Not that much more economical either by all accounts.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Laddey what about a skateboard? You would save loads on fuel and you would only need to buy a rope with a good hook, and some awesome bearings for the wheels.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Think mines at 29.8 or something at the moment

by driving really gently and as smoothly as I can, I got the GT up to a whopping 9.8 km/l with some long motorway trips. ~28mpg if I get the metrics right. Sadly it normally gets used on short trips...or play trips 0o

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom