Food Fucking foreigners!

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Aside from the great British Bacon sandwich, it has to be said we have some of the least imaginative and boring cuisine in the world. Yes there are one or two countries that have more boring food, but not many.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Aside from the great British Bacon sandwich, it has to be said we have some of the least imaginative and boring cuisine in the world. Yes there are one or two countries that have more boring food, but not many.

Yorkshire pudding and onion gravy?

Lancashire Hotpot?

Bakewell Tart?

Pork Pie?

We have loads of excellent food, sadly it is overshadowed by the mass produced shite our supermarkets sell and our food outlets serve. Yes alot of our traditional dishes are heavy and rich, that is because we live in a cold/wet climate for 8 months of the year and as a nation we tend to be very hard workers especially during the previous five centuries where that work ethic led us from being a small island state to a world superpower.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Apart from greasy spoon cafes, the vast majority of restaurants in London are foreign: Indian, Chinese, Italian, French, Middle Eastern, Korean, Japanese, Tapas, Greek, Turkish, Portugese, Argentinian, Irish, Polish, Ethiopian, etc. Not much Belgian (a couple of Belgo Restaurants (one in Covent Garden, one in Chalk Farm Rd), not seen any Dutch. There's one or 2 Scandanavian gaffs (one in South Ken). Even the top Michelin star restaurants are by and large foreign, so yeah, I agree with Ford that there isn't a massive demand for British Food, such as it is, but the article is based on one probably badly cooked breakfast & doesn't represent the pies & puddings & glorious roast dinners we do well.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
lol

that "person" and i use the word generously, is a fucking imbecile

i know, lets trawl the internet for some bad photos of american "food" and write up shit about it :D

( i assume hes american, dunno, dont really care)

if he is tho, from a country that cant even cook bacon, i find any complaints about food pathetic

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
It is a bit different in the north I guess, there are still alot of good places up here serving refined versions of British classics and doing so with great success. I honestly think that we bash our own food too much and allow others to do the same, we always get beaten up with the old cliches but those people have never really tasted a wide range of orginal British food and what they have tasted it mostly supermarket shit or comes from crappy cafe's/restaurants.

Even a humble chip muffin (barm, bap, butty or whatever they call it where you come from) can taste great if chef knows his stuff and prepares his food with pride.

For instance, my triple cooked chips (fried in duck fat) between two slices of a homemade cob loaf which has been buttered with with best British butter is simply amazing to eat. A couple of foreign friends rave about it, one is Italian and you know what fussy fuckers they can be. ;)

megadave

I am a FH squatter
who gives a shit, not like English people can ONLY eat English food etc

English food dicks all over American food so i don't know what those yank caaants chat about all the time

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Someone there says most people take the batter off the fish and just eat the fish? WTF? Does anyone do this?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Well our good bacon is from Denmark, so....

Actually British bacon is vastly better than any Danish bacon you can buy in the U.K. but our supermarkets keep selling your stuff because it is a good brand and marketing sells.

For world class bacon...

Richard Woodall | Traditionally cured Cumberland Sausage, Hams, Bacon

meat_board.gif

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
And then I see some twat calling mushy peas a "waste of good peas".

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
People who say British food is boring have obviously not tried to either eat or cook real British food.

British food is not just fish and chips and roast dinner.

Try buying your ingredients from places other than Tesco.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
FS Cho, I was pointing out that our shit bacon comes from the Danes ;p

Anyway, British cuisine is a mix of cuisine from all over the old empire and a lot of influence from immigrants, so the idiot that wrote that is just that; an idiot.

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Someone there says most people take the batter off the fish and just eat the fish? WTF? Does anyone do this?

Always found the further north I go the better the batter, light and crispy ^^

Haven't had too many from the south though so that may not be entirely accurate :)

And then I see some twat calling mushy peas a "waste of good peas".

This. Good mushy peas are awesome, the guy's clearly mad :eek:

There's definately some tongue in cheek in the posts though.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
English breakfast, english pub food. ect...
it's all greasy and overcokked...and I wouldnt have it any other way..

Love it!
as long as I stick to only ever so seldom,

When ever I'm in brittan, I'll get all exited over the breakfast,
and you wont see me go near the "healthy stuff" ;)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Pork Pie?

I'd put that into the sack marked "wank".

I do a lot of the time tbfh. Can't be arsed with the lardy dripping shite. I'd much prefer grilled mackerel but they don't offer that at the chippy, and I do so love chips :)

The pics are typical of most greasy spoons around the UK tbfh. And they're not wrong about the bacon either.

Lets face it. Unless you're selecting the ingredients and cooking the food yourself it's rare to get a decent cooked breakfast anywhere in the UK.

But we still shit from a very very high height over almost all the American food I've ever eaten :)

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
Lets face it. Unless you're selecting the ingredients and cooking the food yourself it's rare to get a decent cooked breakfast anywhere in the UK.

only if you live in a right shithole :)

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Some cafes round here are lovely. Fair enough though, there are some bad ones too.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I'd put that into the sack marked "wank".

You haven't had a good one then sadly bud, there is a butchers near me that make their own and imo they make melton mowbray look like amatuer hour shite.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's the fact that they're pork pies, with fucking jelly, that makes Melton Mobray pork pies look like amature hour shite.

It's 'cause they are :)

Ezteq

Queen of OT
For instance, my triple cooked chips (fried in duck fat) between two slices of a homemade cob loaf which has been buttered with with best British butter is simply amazing to eat. A couple of foreign friends rave about it, one is Italian and you know what fussy fuckers they can be. ;)

Alright Heston lol calm down man! Don't take it so personally, to be fair that photo did look flipping rancid...though it did have bubble and squeak which is lush.

I can't really say I love [insert particular country]'s food because (even with English) I have not eaten a wide enough selection to be so general...though Dutch pancakes fucking rock and Japanese food is really high on my list.

I think that article was obviously written by someone who has a deep desire to be Jay Sherman.

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
rofl.. abused hot dog! :)

Anyway, what's that thing called you guys in northern England (i think) like to eat? Like.. hungover food with everything in one? I think someone here posted a pic of it a while ago but i can't remember what they were called.. was some kind of pizza or something with fries and eggs and everything on it?

Ezteq

Queen of OT
omg rofl Parmo haha...sweetie only northerners eat those, if a southener tried to it would kill them.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Oh yeah?
Best greasy spoon anywhere (IMO) is Pete's Eats in Llanberis.
Petes Eats

Good food and lots of it. Their idea of a chip butty is a dinner plater, a slice of buttered bread, a kilo of chips on top, half a kilo of cheese and another slice of buttered bread. Ok maybe I exaggerated the amounts a little (but only a little), but you get the idea.

Oh yeah, I also have a number of their pint coffee mugs. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom