fuck, HELP

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Before I start spamming every car forum, I have a problem.

My sister's diesel Saab 9-3 2.2 TiD (Y reg, 2001, 36k miles) has just totally packed in. She had it towed to a garage where a fuel pump was first suspected and she was quoted £1500 to fix.

However, on getting another garage to look at it, it turns out the valves are all fucked and one of the piston heads has cracked due to a snapped timing belt - so it's proper fucked new engine time. On investigation on the web, the Saab 9-3 supposedly uses (like on beemers) a timing chain as opposed to a belt so that it has decent service intervals but on 2.2 petrol engines the lubrication for the chain can fail and cause the chain to snap. Timing chains are supposed to be better than belts fuck sake, as they don't snap like a worn belt.

So, basically - a chain shouldn't fucking fail at 36k miles right? The car was serviced at Saab for the first two services and at independent VAT registered garages for the next four (totalling six in five years).

Surely pursuing Saab would be a worthwhile course of action? 36k miles and the engine is knackered? No fucking way.

Help?

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I would persue it with Saab if you can prove the mileage. A bloke I knows old-ish Mondeo (2001 Y) failed an MOT last year because of a broken rear sub frame. It had done 50,000 miles. Ford paid half towards the repairs IIRC.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I'll see what Saab say, i'm outraged.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Well worth trying it G, Saabs are normally bullet proof and something like that shouldn't happen. One word of warning though, make sure non Saab garages were VAT registered it will be their first question. If it wasn't then chuck a garage a hundred quid to give you some invoices or something.

Saab are owned by GM though so don't hold your breathe for a good outcome.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Get thee to a popular Saab forum G where they'll have knowledge of this specific fault.

Mine has a timing chain, well 2 actually, 1 backs the other up. :) The lubrication comes directly from the oil pump, it just sprays oil over the top of the chain, you can see it if you lift the oil filler cap while the engine is running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom