Friend going to Scotland and needs some info.

O

old.Tohtori

Since this is mainly an entertainment forum (what?) i'd like to take an opportunity to spy on Scotland for a friend since i bet there's some lassies/lads around these here parts.

Things of interest:

Nightlife: When it ends, where are best clubs, what cities are good for a party as well as "culture".

Sights: Interesting things to visit including Loch Ness and such corny things but also the not so known locals.

Accomidation: How to spell accomidation and where are the cheap/well fitted beds for the low cash traveller.

If anyone can give some info, a local would be excellent, it would be rather appreciated.

S

Sarum TheBlack

Don't go! tRoG and Flimgoblin live there!!

E

Ekydus

The best Butlins IMO was in Ayr... damn fools closed it down. Some of the stuff they had in the pool was cool. :p

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by Sarum TheBlack
Don't go! tRoG and Flimgoblin live there!!

heh, i'm not going there now even if i'm considering it as my first real long holiday.

And you really think i'll call flimmy or tRoG when i go there?!?...umm...yes! :p

But i doubt Flimmy or Twog would like to see Teh Seel though...

F

Flimgoblin

Edinburgh's got lots of "culture" (if you count olde buildings and stuff along with theatres, etc. as culture) and has a few clubs but I'm told the night-life in Glasgow is better (if filled by more drunken scots - Edinburgh's more cosmopolitan, though some parts of Glasgow are nice (around the university).

Pubs in edinburgh are open till 1am, clubs till 3am, glasgow I think is similar but may only be midnight/2am closing, can't recall. Edinburgh has lots of Ghost tours and such at night if you fancy a break from getting pished. Depending on what sort of music there's probably something around (www.redt.co.uk might be handy - lists gigs/clubs in scotland)

If you want castles and stuff - Tantallon castle near North Berwick is nice. Urquart castle on Loch ness is also cool, lots of lovely scenery up there too.

I'd advise hiring a car if you want to go visit all the castles/distilleries etc. as the public transport over here is crap anyway, and non-existant in the more remote parts.

If your friend likes whisky then there's a bzillion distilleries to visit - they're apprently quite interesting anyway even if you don't like whisky. If you can't be bothered going up north to find one then there's a whisky museum in edinburgh which kinda goes over the process, but I'm told that visiting the real thing is that much better.

Accomodation - I'm guessing youth hostels and bed and breakfasts are your staple fare here... try www.visitscotland.com the scottish tourist board site.

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by old.Tohtori
heh, i'm not going there now even if i'm considering it as my first real long holiday.

And you really think i'll call flimmy or tRoG when i go there?!?...umm...yes! :p

But i doubt Flimmy or Twog would like to see Teh Seel though...

wouldn't mind sayin hi and goin fer a pint if ye come to Edinburgh :)

Tw0g's a bit more remote though - you'll have to climb over a couple of mountains through the freezing snow, beat off a few polar bears and wrestle a vicious highland cow to get through.

O

old.Tohtori

Ta Flimmy. Sure this helps their choice making a bit.

Only thing they are against is the 3am only nightlife, party animals the lot of them and don't understand the concept of undiedrinking :p

If i ever land in the shores of ye old Scotland i'll be sure to notify you so you can scream to the villagers to run to the hills :D

F

Flimgoblin

ok ok, in edinburgh you can drink 24 hours ... despite the evil licensing laws (which the government promised to abolish in their election campaigns but have put it off repeatedly)

till 3am in a club

visit kebab shop with smuggled beer till 4am

head to the Penny Black (dodgy scary sailors pub ... but which happens to open at 4am might be 5am... in which case you need to find a hotel bar to drink in until then)

and start all over again :D

during August (for the festival) it's an extra 2 hours on all the opening hours... so clubs are open till 5am :)

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by Flimgoblin

during August (for the festival) it's an extra 2 hours on all the opening hours... so clubs are open till 5am :)

Sounds like a drinking plan *lol*

That whole august?

O

old.tRoG

Edinburgh = TeH WiN!!1!11

Especially during the festival :)

A group of us used to go down there every year, and get absolutely hammered. It was fun. Then I got married. :(

C

cadiva

If any of them can drive and you do hire a car, get yourself up to the West Coast around Fort William and beyond for the most glorious scenery/castles/places to visit with historical interest etc.

Depends on what age range/interests your intended visitors are really and what sort of thing they like to do.

There's a great little pub in a wee village at the end of the A830 which is handy for lock-ins after 2am ;)

Personally my musts for any trip to Scotland include both Edinburgh and Glasgow and, if you fancy driving anywhere, a trip along the Road to the Isles (either by train or road) to Mallaig and then <sings> O'oer the sea to Skye <ends singing> and back down the other side to Eilean Donan (used extensively in Highlander. Lock Ness and other such films) and back down to Fort William.

Another good website is this one : The Internet Guide to Scotland

G

gengi

Being an Aberdonian by birth and upbringing I must say avoid Dundee :D . Seriously the East coast North of Edinburgh is unappealing, there are some good bits, but tourists should probably stick with Edinburgh and Glasgow and if time permits head up to tR0g'sville.
Dundee has apparently got some nice new shops in the city centre and a couple of very good golf courses. Aberdeen is a bloody good place to jump off from for the whiskey trail and a bunch of castles and historical things, also good golf courses.
But central Scotland round Perth and Stirling etc has all of those things too and is easier to get to from Edinburgh/Glasgow.

Last time I was in Edinburgh it was very relaxed and you could get a drink pretty much anytime.

Later

Gengee

p.s I no longer live in Scotland I am a missionary I live in England :D

C

cadiva

Originally posted by gengi
p.s I no longer live in Scotland I am a missionary I live in England :D

But you live in Newcastle, which is an entirely different proposition to the rest of England and has quite its own surreal way of life.

It is, imho, one of the best cities ever and is, fortunately, home to my brother and his wife and therefore available to visit whenever I like ;)

Oh yeah, and it's in the north of England which obviously wins hands down over the south.

<---- is a Yorkshire girl exiled to the south (sobs brokenheartedly)

R

Roo Stercogburn

Scotland: the only country that has more public houses than houses: i.e. the way we like it.

Edinburgh: seek out Rose Street and the Grass Market areas. Locals con blue to red, depending on area. Easy to get a skald at any time of night and all know where you can get next hunting area.

Glasgow: stay on the train, don't get off. Locals con orange/red, be on guard. Chuckle at the thought this was formally a City Of Culture. Visit Easter House and send us all a postcard from hospital.

Stirling, Perth... chilled out, lots of pubs around centres. Mostly green con locals.

Kirkcaldy: yellow con locals. They BAF though. Reasonable beer hunting in small(ish) area. Visit the Penny Farthing and marvel that locals still believe this is a good pub. If you are in the Temple Hall area, expect to type /release very soon.

Dundee: safe if full group, don't shag the locals but if you do, there is a hospital close.

Falkirk: yellow con locals, with small areas of orange and red. All BAF. Locals have immunity to Hooch debuffing.

Grangemouth: you got off at the wrong stop.

Paisley. Wants to be Glasgow when it grows up. Safe if in full group, but you have to know where to hunt beer.

Midweek most clubs have a grab-a-granny night or as they are some times known, relic raids. Be alert for these and stay away on these nights.

O

old.tRoG

The Western Isles (Where I live!) are lovely too. If you hate people ;)

Get huge sandy beaches all to yourself. 'Tis good.

Users who are viewing this thread