Friar Spec?

E

Ezrolithe

Hi There,

I'm thinking of making a friar and need help choosing a spec, i want to know from some people who have a decent RR and alot of RvR experience, from the catacombs alone, i was thinking of doing 39 Staff; 45 Enhancement, 15 Rejuv, 23 Parry. Thoughts?

E

Ezrolithe

One thing i want to know is about the resist buffs, are the figures stated on the catacombs in % form (i don't know anything about buffs) and are they worth not having a better chance to parry and not having better res? And also... when you parry does it slow your attack speed? Some people say parry makes you miss your shot, clarification please.

Also my aim is best solo spec... but to a degree, I don't want to sacrafice silly amounts of group helping spells to get better parry but i'd prefer parry than an evenly helpfull group spell, if that makes sense.

One more thing - there are 3 resists you can buff... but how many resists exist in total? And can anyone name them all?

A

artemus

lots of spec options for a friar, read the class forums on catacombs lots of ideas there. Also you might want to look up http://www.drunkenfriar.com/ which is a very good friar community webbie

reisists are - body,cold,energy,heat,matter,spirit,slash,thrust,crush
parrying doesnt affect your attacks

most ppl take rejuve to 15 at least and usually to 18 or 25 for the better heals. Its pretty hard to gimp a friar so long as you dont full spec parry :)

gl with your friar :clap:

B

bob007

Am a strong believer in, if you can resist a mez you can win a fight.

Friars buff Matter Heat and Cold resists, Clerics buff Body Energy and Spirit. Other 3 melee resists aren't buffable atm, Thing closest is necro absorb buff.

Resists go up 8% at a time, friar is probebly the only acolyte that can spec for the higher ones without makin himself look like a bot :), Max is 24%

My parry is 21 with +'s atm when i do parry i've never noticed a patern in missing a shot right after, or any slow down in swing.

15 rejuv supplies best res a friar can get, without it your a paladin with a stick :p (it give a little better res rps then the tank 1)

With that in mind, I went 49 enhance, Not many friars do this but am having fun with it. Only been 50 a few weeks so am not a hardtime friar yet. As your best move is linked of an evade, parry is pretty much a second chance thing for me, I surgest as the man said above, have a look around drunkfriar and find something you feel happy with, At the end of the day, not matter what anyone says you gotta play it. gl tho :)

A

Apathy

My friar is intended to bring a lot of use to a group, as much as possible within the confines of the spec. With this in mind, I was aiming for this spec -

29 staff (With + from items and RR, it has been shown that the difference in damage between 29 and even as much as 50 natural staff is negligible.)

49 enhancements (For the top resist buffs and self-buffs.)

33 rejuv (For second best major heal and zero variance on base heals.)

3 parry (~shrug~ Mastery of Parrying is worth 6 in parry per level (3% per MoP, 0.5% per point in parry.)

Another variation on the above would be 48e (All but top matter resist.) and 34r, which will give you second best group HoT in 1.60.

However! I specced too much into staff by accident and was going to go with a fairly mediocre battle/heal spec -

39 staff, 49 enh, 18 rej, 9 parry.

After going RvRing a bit at lvls 42-44, I realised that my fighting skillz aren't really all that good. :p Too long playing casters, I guess. Something makes me want to stand at the back and cry whilst casting spells. :/

In PvE, I mostly heal and then if everything looks okay I wade in and start hitting things. You know...assisting and using the side-based style. This would work fine in RvR too and so I decided on this spec -

39 staff (Already got this.)

38 enhance (Second best of everything, including resist buffs of 16%.)

34 rejuv (Second best major heal and second best group HoT in 1.60.)

14 parry

I like to call this my sorc-specced friar - I have the second best of everything and a lot of useful things I can do, but I will forever wish I had taken one specline to max. :p

However, I think it will work well for my playstyle, based on experience so far. And that's the most important thing to consider - How do you PLAY? One spec which is uber (And I think everyone just wants a simple answer and route to being uber in this game, sadly.) for one person may be a pigs ear for another.

I think I will try this spec when I get to 50 (5 levels to go. Woo!) for a while after 1.60 and see how it works for my group. If it does, then it will stay. If not, I will respecc accordingly. Probably lower staff to 29 and put up enhance for the buffs. :) Then I only need to have one style on my bar. Mwahahaha!

a.

C

Cronn

Anything above these numbers and you can't really gimp yourself

29 staff
7 rejuv
35 enhance
1 parry

V

Vim

47 Enhanc
39 Staff
18 Rejuv
16 Parry <- Not sure

B

benedictine

44 staff 47 enh 7 rejuv 8 parry

Why? Because I can

M

Motowntheta

36 Staff
38 Enhance
34 Rejuv
22 Parry

I also have master of parrying .... and wild healing :p

P

Puppetmistress

My friar (who is lvl 39 now) goes:

Enhance 49, staff 39, rejuv. 18, parry 9.

The lvl 50 staff spec style is the only one coming from parry and doesn't do huge damage I understood. So I ditched it. The lvl 44 style isn't doable in RvR (normally) so I ditched it too.

18 rejuv. brings me with a spec-heal for 215; not good but not bad either and I know exactly where it will bring me (and others) and I let the major-healing do by a cleric.

39 staff will be (very) good damage and 49 enhance gives me every single resist-buff I have. I choose all max resist buffs so I can safe up some money for less resist on my SC'ing armour :p

K

K0nah

i was planning the low rejuv 6/7 but tbh im finding that isnt even enuf in BG1 let alone at 50 ;)

so annoying standing there having to chain heal urself for ~60hits

think the 15/18rej @50 is minimum really to leave some versatility.

J

Jiggs

at RR6 the best spec will be

36staff 48enhance 25reju 10 parry

Parry:

10 (base)
11 (items)
5 (RR6)
12 (Mastery of Parry 2)

38 effective parry :D

Reju:

25 (base)
11 (items)
5 (RR6)

41 (!) effective reju ;)

~49enhance is not really worth it
~ healing wins alot of fights

J

Jiggs

its worth making the point that at 41 effective reju your group heal does very close to your 18 spec heal (~200hp)

except thats x8 instead of on one target...

Q

QuickS

why do ppl always want to go exactly 39 staff??

the 39 staff style is shit and when u go up in RR the 39 + 11 (items) is no longer valid.

48 enhance is the most important spec imo

E

Ezrolithe

Thanks for the comments so far.. keep them coming :)

R

ReaLX

I'm thinking about 2 specs:
15 rejuv, 39staff, 49enh, 13 parry
25rejuv, 36staff, 48enh, 10parry

dunno where to go now :/

R

ReaLX

Originally posted by QuickS
why do ppl always want to go exactly 39 staff??

the 39 staff style is shit and when u go up in RR the 39 + 11 (items) is no longer valid.

48 enhance is the most important spec imo

why not 49enh ?

Q

QuickS

Originally posted by ReaLX
why not 49enh ?

Because cold and heat are more important and going to 49 spec is a awful lot of points that could be spent elsewhere..

E

Ezrolithe

Originally posted by ReaLX
I'm thinking about 2 specs:
15 rejuv, 39staff, 49enh, 13 parry
25rejuv, 36staff, 48enh, 10parry

dunno where to go now :/

From whats been posted, and what i previously was thinking, i've changed my plan for 45 enhancement 39 staff 15 rejuv, high parry, to 25rejuv, 36staff, 48enh, 10parry. Don't know if this is going to be more useful, but it sounds it :)

J

Jiggs

hmm well thats for RR6

depends how serious you are...

just PvE and a fun char, then the 39+staff specs are better imo

M

Motowntheta

Go 36 staff and then you won't need to respec :)

V

Vireb

Originally posted by Jiggs

36staff 48enhance 25reju 10 parry

Parry:

10 (base)
11 (items)
5 (RR6)
12 (Mastery of Parry 2)

38 effective parry :D

Reju:

25 (base)
11 (items)
5 (RR6)

41 (!) effective reju ;)

~49enhance is not really worth it
~ healing wins alot of fights
thats the best rr6 friar spec imo very balenced and can still hold your own verses all classes, GIV RESPEC STONE :/

T

Trinilim

You wanna heal, be a cleric.

You wanna fight and be a 2ndary healer, be a friar.

What's the point in rolling a friar if you wanna heal?

Friar heals are NOTHING compared to clerics, check catacombs.

Imo, get 48 enhance, 36 staff, 25 rej, rest in parry.

Great resists, great damage, mediocre healing, not-so-important parry.

A

Apathy

Friars can heal and fight very well. Certainly better than a smite cleric, which is the equivelant of a friar specced for healing, in the eyes of some. :p

a.

P

Puppetmistress

Originally posted by Jiggs

Hello, I am THINKING about STARTING a friar and you come with the best spec for RR6 ?!

Why not RR9? Or RR10 ?

He has not even started an acolyte and yet you're talking about 1mln RP.

J

Jiggs

its my ideas atm since its only 130 odd thousand more RP for me, the 'cutting edge' of friar theory if you like lol :D

well i did caution him against it in the following post...

heaven forbid someone should actually give an informed opinion on something.... :rolleyes:

E

Ezrolithe

What exactly is the new regan health? No information is available on the catacombs regarding how much it actually does or anything? What is it? :)

Users who are viewing this thread