Free Virus Scanner

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Each week i fix my pc, each week i slowly let my family back on and each time they fuck it up.

they have downloaded a Trojan virus, its trying to change my homepage, trying to change the websites i go on, closing the web browser and when i run the following programs they find viruses but althoug they say they are deleting...i somehow think they are doing nothing!

i have run the following

avg
avast
adware
spyadblocker
Stinger

I need a good virus checker that is free, if i need a registration key then if you could send me a url or pm me it :)

The main problem is the internet closes my browser so i dont know if its gonna let me DL a program lol, any help would be great.

oh 1 file that never seemed to dissapear was klonk. something or other

when Windows starts i also get this message "Cannot find ibm00001.exe or one of it's components....".

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
You may not like it, but my recommendation is :

Back up any data you care about.
Put in an O/S disk and boot to DOS.
Run fdisk /mbr. (/mbr rebuilds the master boot record - which certain viruses/trojans can affect)
Format the C Drive.
Reinstall the O/S.
Purchase a decent AV (I use Trend Anti-Virus) - ideally on another computer, so you don't connect to the net without AV.
Install the AV.
Patch O/S.
Install applications.
Patch applications.
Restore the data.

Decent AV is pretty much key to a stable computer with all the threats out there. I'll not trust my main source of entertainment to a freebie download!

Darzil

Bahumat

FH is my second home
haha cheers, i had a look at this problems nasty, its messing with the registry and whole ton of things

http://help.lockergnome.com/index.php?showtopic=41388&st=30

Can you give me some more information on your suggestion, im on xp so i'll hit F8 and iirc there is a option to go into DOS, im unsure on fdisk and how i use this. If you could be so kind as to post an idiots instruction guide to avoid any mistakes :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
lmao, just realised i never even posted in the correct section!

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Just reinstall your entire system by formatting your hd´s. Darzils suggestions is basically the thorough version of that. If you don´t want to mess around with DOS, a simple WIN XP reinstall *should* have the same effect. (Before you security zealots are jumping my throat.. I know that some viruses and trojans are able to survive that etc.etc.)
As Drazil said, use a proper AV software as well as Firewall. And under no circumstances.. NEVER NEVER ever use Internet Explorer. User Firefox or any other browser, but not IE. :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
i only use my net for games really, its when my family wanna go on some god forsaken music site made by a hillbilly where 100 popup's appear!

i used to have firefox but never installed it last time, i'll have to reinstall and give it a go.

1 last thing, my 160gb hdd is partitioned so windows is on the 20gb section, all my games are on the other partition so do i need to format that drive as well?

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
No, formatting the Windows partition should be fine.
(again, I know some sophisticated viruses are able to circumvent that and reproduce on the other partitions yaddayadda :) if it doesn´t work, you´ll simply have to do the process again).

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Thx again, im gonna go ask Jupitus if i can borrow his ban stick to hit my family with!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom