Help Free, simple backup software for WinXP

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Hi guys,

I'm after a some very simple free backup software that runs on a windows client without the need for a server. I just got myself a silly little NAS enclosure that can do FTP and SMB shares and want to use it partly as a central storage for TV shows etc but also as a backup solution.

The sort of software I'm after lets you specify folders to back up to a specific folder in the NAS. Ideally it will do incremental backups, only updating files that have changed but keeping those changes in a folder by date, while keeping the directory structure.

Does that make sense? I've had a quick look and most open source stuff requires a server. I'm just after something that kicks off once a week or so when machines are turned on and off.

Cheers.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
NTBackup should manage everything you've listed there no problem.
Except maybe the date thing. Just had a quick play.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Sry, replied before i had my tea and smoke this morning, so was a bit short.

Looking at the criteria..
specify folders
specific folder in the NAS
incremental backups
folder by date
keeping the directory structure

NTbackup can do all but 1 of them, Store by date. As a result would Append or Overwrite older backups due to naming cenvention in schedule. Might be an option to script it and use something like "ren" (can be limited and stupid) to rename the file after its created. Tho you should allow time for the backup to finish.
Maybe 2 VB scripts 1 to run the backup 1 day and another to rename the backup file the next day to reflect either todays or yesterdays date. This I'm not sure on. Am pretty sure it can be done. Just not sure how :)

Must be some scripters floating around the boards. Poke someone with a large stick ;)

mank!

Part of the furniture
syncback is a nice little tool, i'm sure there's a free version. apologies if i'm wrong :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom