Free D.a.o.c & S.I

L

lairiodd

Originally posted by ning
On lothian ? They have been deleted.

Thats crazy, they are basically eliminating one of the big pulls of the whole scheme.

Btw, anyone know if its restricted to pc zone or will Goa offer a download ? :)

E

Ezenden

Originally posted by -Lonewolf-
Oh so the beta was on a national PC gaming mag 2 years ago?

Wow I never knew that?

Now whose the clueless fucking wanker

It was actually. The beta came with the DVD version of PC Gamer.

O

old.Kerosene

I wonder what will happen when the first person loads up DAoC on Lothian... and finds literally no-one there :D

P

PJS

Originally posted by old.Kerosene
I wonder what will happen when the first person loads up DAoC on Lothian... and finds literally no-one there :D

only if they choose Hibernia :)

S

ssera

Originally posted by lairiodd
Thats crazy, they are basically eliminating one of the big pulls of the whole scheme.

Btw, anyone know if its restricted to pc zone or will Goa offer a download ? :)

Not too crazy, all our characters got deleted after the Beta and no one was really that bothered. I think this free trial is just so people can get to know the game, see what it's like etc, and basically want them to play more and so buy the retail version.

Pretty much like a demo imo, leaving the best bits out (like the 2500+ other players ;) )

B

Bleri McThrust

Originally posted by ssera

Pretty much like a demo imo, leaving the best bits out (like the 2500+ other players ;) )

I tried the 2 week trial of AC2 (nice game but even bigger issues than DAoC) . They gave you the choice of whichever server you wanted and the character would live after the trial.

If there had been noone else on the server I wouldnt have got past the first day.

Howver ...... what a lot of people was doing was rerolling after there 2 weeks where up and starting another 2 weeks, so the game was full of 2 week old inactive characters. That wasnt a good thing.

R

Rubric

They will get that nice feeling where nobody knows where everything is & its all new. Damn i miss that.

Some problems i see. If they dont get to keep a character they have built wheres the incentive to stay. The population of the server. If not enough people use the trial it will be crap. When they do move to the normal servers there may not be enough of them to make it viable for grouping.

Edit: oh and well done GOA. I remember suggesting this a while ago. I think you aproach is a little flawed but if it brings any amount of new players to the game it will be good.

Edit 2: No more servers for us English. Need anouther 2000 players at least first.

B

Breni

Don't suppose anyone knows if they'll let some volunteers onto the server to help the people using the free trial?

Would be a good idea - get some already established players onto Lothian to dish out advice to the new arrivals...the only downside I suppose would be that the people that continue to play after their trial is up would expect some form of in-game support :p

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by Breni
Don't suppose anyone knows if they'll let some volunteers onto the server to help the people using the free trial?

Would be a good idea - get some already established players onto Lothian to dish out advice to the new arrivals...the only downside I suppose would be that the people that continue to play after their trial is up would expect some form of in-game support :p

/advice ;)

S

ssera

Originally posted by Breni

When they did it for the French, they had someone at GOA to supervise the server and organise events etc for all the players online (there was about 100 - 150 peeps on). Was things like RvR in emain, DF tours etc etc. I assume they'll do the same for the English players too.

N

ning

Originally posted by ssera
When they did it for the French, they had someone at GOA to supervise the server and organise events etc for all the players online (there was about 100 - 150 peeps on). Was things like RvR in emain, DF tours etc etc. I assume they'll do the same for the English players too.

This summer there was a GM to answer newbee questions (not to do events). Last year there was not any GM (as far as I can remember :D ).

There was nothing on emain (max lvl on the server was 25 :) )

W

Whoodoo_RD

They have been doing this in Italy for ages, seems to work well for their player base.

For us who have it, whats to moan about, get yaself some more cheese and prepare to welcome new blood to the game at long last.

S

ssera

Originally posted by ning
This summer there was a GM to answer newbee questions (not to do events). Last year there was not any GM (as far as I can remember :D ).

There was nothing on emain (max lvl on the server was 25 :) )

yeah there was, didn't happen very often but it did happen. I know 'cos I got one of my mates into it so he could see why I spent so much time playing this stupid game ;)

Just an edit: for the emain "fun", it was all at lvl 10 - 15 anyway ;)

O

old.Ramas

If it is limited to Lothian and you then lose your character then GOA must be insane.

Oh, hang on.....

As shown by the regular appearance of EQ on cover disks, the subscription model means surely the objective is to get as many people onto a subs package as possible, now it's difficult to see how destroying newbie characters and making everyone play on a deserted server for the trial is going to achieve that.

Making you pay a one off fee at the end of the trial period to keep your characters and 'register' your account I could understand. Adding Lothian as an additional option with a special tutorial, and ultra rapid xp for the trial period I could understand, but limiting them to Lothian and then doing a character wipe? phew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom