Free D.a.o.c & S.I

C

ch0ppa

Word to the wise, on next months PCZONE magazine (issue135) out on Oct 16th, they are giving away dark age and shrouded isles FOR FREE on the cover disks!! details can be found in this months issue(134), has got judge dredd on cover, page 100.

Of course 99.99999% of u reading this will already have d.a.o.c, maybe not S.I, but tell peeps who havent got it, to get it

B

Bleri McThrust

I think thats a free 2 week trial thingie check the news page.

J

Jiggs

and i think you only get to play on lothian server.

S

svartmetall

Still props to GOA for realising that advertising + incentives = more players.

If they can actually start providing some vestigial form of customer service we'll be well on our way.

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

Shame they didn't do this...ohhh, say...TWO YEARS AGO!!!

Ah well, better late than never...I guess.

S

soullessminion

Pity that if this is just a 2 weak version, any player in uk who likes it, probably will never buy the real copy as no shops stock it or seem to be able to order new copys!!

Only way to get it in uk atm = web serch, or if lucky find a tiny game shop not marked on any map, that still has a dusty copy on shelf...

Buying DaoC is a Epic Quest just by itself, then comes the second Epic of hopeing you can register before GoA loose sub pages again :p

O

old.Nim

I'll still be telling all my friends to check it out during the free trial.

T

Tesla Monkor

Excellent initiative.. just one small thing. I wish they'd used Prydwen as server and not Lothian. Unless GOA intends to wipe the server after the 'free trials', those people are going to stay on Lothian. Since they're English, Prydwen is the server that should profit from their joining, if any. =)

S

Silence

i dont want an army of beggers entering server tbh, oh wait too late, avalanche arrived :/

N

ning

Originally posted by soullessminion
Pity that if this is just a 2 weak version, any player in uk who likes it, probably will never buy the real copy as no shops stock it or seem to be able to order new copys!!

Only way to get it in uk atm = web serch, or if lucky find a tiny game shop not marked on any map, that still has a dusty copy on shelf...

Buying DaoC is a Epic Quest just by itself, then comes the second Epic of hopeing you can register before GoA loose sub pages again :p

Maybe GOA will release a Gold version with Daoc + SI + Foundation in the stores.

O

old.job

Does seem strange, hopefully anyone deciding to buy gets to keep the characters they made in the trial, some dudes can do lot of leveling in 2 weeks.

O

old.Vae

You can get either SI or DAOC+SI bundle in HMV (well maybe only the Oxford St ones) at 29.99 for either the single or bundle!

T

Thorarin

Originally posted by Tesla Monkor
Excellent initiative.. just one small thing. I wish they'd used Prydwen as server and not Lothian. Unless GOA intends to wipe the server after the 'free trials', those people are going to stay on Lothian. Since they're English, Prydwen is the server that should profit from their joining, if any. =)

Yes, characters on Lothian will be lost, so players that choose to buy the game will have to start over again. That's the major downside of using a seperate server.

On the other hand we wouldn't want to get Excalibur or Prydwen flooded with people looking for a 2 week freebie only to be never seen again afterwards. I know I wouldn't.

One thing is missing in the picture: online ordering of 'CD' key to create an account without actually going to any shop.

N

ning

Originally posted by Thorarin
Yes, characters on Lothian will be lost, so players that choose to buy the game will have to start over again. That's the major downside of using a seperate server.

Anyway who is today playing with his very first character ? First char is to discover the game. I never see a first char spec correctly.

S

Sabu

Originally posted by old.Silence
i dont want an army of beggers entering server tbh, oh wait too late, avalanche arrived :/

whats the problem with you?

O

old.Sandariel

Good move :)
Now they should allow users to download the client and pay like... 20€ for Daoc + SI + 1 free month.

DAoC's availability seems to be like non-existant atm. Guess this would fill up english servers quite a bit. Hell, might even get enough people for a 3rd server this way :)

A

asorek

and you forgot to notice that SI isnt included with that cover disk they only get the classic client.

C

ChillyDawg

Originally posted by ning
Anyway who is today playing with his very first character ? First char is to discover the game. I never see a first char spec correctly.

i am, and im PROUD of my smite spec cleric with +15 int and the rest prolly qui or summat :D

C

ch0ppa

According to the pczone, shrouded isles and d.o.a.c WILL BOTH be on cover disks, along with a months subscription, NOT 2 weeks!! YEs they are the full programs :)

Y

-yoda-

my guess is this may be the start of a 3rd english server?

guessing of course say for eample 10k people buy that mag .. 5-7k will try the game ,,, even if 1/3 of them 5-7k carry on to play the game live an pay subs thats 2k peeps enough to over populate pryd an excal, an overflow (+peeps who wanna play 3rd) server woul populate the 3rd english server . i think its borderline atm about wether or not we get 3rd server the people who come from the free mag cd will make 3rd server viable .

<disclaimer> my figures above are PURE speculative so numbers may be a lotlower :) or higher: ) either way even if onnly 2-3 hundred go live (hopefully on pryd) thats a good thing :)

C

Coim-

Armsman is my first char. :D

J

Jonaldo

Mentalist was my first char and played him till the end.

T

Thorarin

I am? :)

Besides, that's not how they are going to see it. After 2 weeks on a fresh server with only new players you don't think like that ;)

L

lairiodd

What they really need is some "quickstart" info for the game. I remember getting a free everquest CD from some mag and playing for about 30 mins and not really being able to get started.

They need to explain basic stuff about the game.

Things like:

Key setup ( NNB ) with tips like
- autorun
- view adjustment

How to solo ( maybe )
- mages nuke from afar
- tanks melee
- healer ... erm :)

How to group
- basics like healer + caster + nuker
- how to use LFG menu

Suggested 1-10 leveling grounds for solo and groups

Kill tasks explanation

how to use /who

quickbar setup

How to train

How to kill stuff

How to get to the capitals

Maps ( even the ones that come with SI ) ... maybe online

Basically people must not log on and wonder erm what the hell am I supposed to do.

What they should do is:

Provide online account upgrades ( might be some licencing probs )

Allow /charcopy to pryd or excal or make it a new server depending on how it turns out

I think losing a char you had spent 2 weeks leveling ( if it is the only 2 weeks you spent in the game ) will make some people quit. MMORPG's always hold people due to time invested.

L

lairiodd

Btw, anyone know what happened to the chars in the French version ?

N

ning

Originally posted by lairiodd
Btw, anyone know what happened to the chars in the French version ?

On lothian ? They have been deleted.

L

-Lonewolf-

Originally posted by katt!
beta?

clueless fucking wanker.

Oh so the beta was on a national PC gaming mag 2 years ago?

Wow I never knew that?

Now whose the clueless fucking wanker

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom