FPS Gaming

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
So, sat here (admittedly over half cut) fathoming how FPS gaming has gone down hill over the years, lets look at this closer - not going to list every FPS over the years just the more popular ones.

Quake World - Required a fair amount of skill, precognative thought.

Quake III / Rocket Arena 3 (see quake world, same more or less)

Counter Strike - 1.6 and below - Required a fair amount of skill to pull off good kills streaks and ultimately not get your arse handed to you on a plate.

Counter Strike Source - Complete pile of dog shit anyone (and I do mean anyone) can pull of a good kill streak due to the hit box sizes alone.

CoD: Modern Warfare - Can't remember a great deal about CoD:MW tho I do remember perks being overpowered as hell when paired with specific kit load outs.

CoD: Modern Warfare 2 - Played quite abit of this with a friend and despite the downsides it did have alot to offer, it was kind of (and I use kind lightly) balanaced to a degree.

CoD: Modern Warfare 3 - Utter dogshit, a game where the guns do the killing for you, between Steady Aim, Akimbo and Hardline Pro + Killstreaks I just cannot fathom how FPS gaming has gone downhill so rapidly its become this void of utter shit in which even a fucking ameba could play.

-

Notice I didnt list the Battlefield Series - with good reason, they are in my opinion to this day quite flawless and the reasoning behind that is the physics for the guns, having to aim properly while sniping (or using any gun at range) I found was such an amaziung experience (after all, what fucking sense do bullets make if they travel in a straight line forever?)

Thoughts? being half drunk i'm trying to stick to logic but i'm going to allow the drunk side of me to come out for a moment:

Gaming companies of today are fucking spastics and should be slapped repeatedly for being such greedy fucking cunts (yes bobby kotick, i'm talking about weasel fucks like you)

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Battlefield can suck a dick now as well tbh. Unlocks and overpowered bullshit galore. Want to level up your jet? Sorry, everyone else has flares and heat seeking rockets while you have sod all.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
That's what "mainstream" means.

We're geeks (or as close as what's left to it). I've been gaming since the late 70's - when meant you may as well have carried a label with "massive massive twat and social lepar" on it.

Once you let the idiot masses in or, more correctly, when companies realise there's money to be made in gaming as long as you can make a wide mainstream audience purchace your games rather than just a niche few, then game design necessarily means that you have to cater to that ignorant, skill-less, idiot audience.

This means compromise. It means making things easier, prettier, less risky. Idiots are wowed by amazing graphics, "realism", all the shit that's expensive to produce. Geeks (as they were) wanted a challenge.

When was the last time you played a game and you thought "I may not be able to complete this"??? :(

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Quake Live = Q3 in browser, and Tribes is F2P and requires skill+brain as well.

Consoleified FPS are always going to be awful shit, so why bother?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I quite liked BF3 really, which I was surprised at...for a short time anyway. I got it free with my graphics card.

Borderlands is pretty good, played through again with the expansions. Not tried it on co-op.

Was never really a fan of arena based FPS games, I played a little bit of unreal tournament and enjoyed it enough. Played tons of counterstrike though, loved that game.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Left 4 dead series might be worth a shot.

Left 4 Dead isnt that bad tbh :p it was never meant to be taken seriously as far as player vs player goes, its just a good all round laugh fest.

psyc1one

Loyal Freddie
Left 4 Dead Versus mode is always good for some fun on a LAN
Found Tribes: Ascend quite interesting. haven't played any of the previous installments of the game :ducks:
A modded CoD4 is also quite fun on LAN if u play some of the smaller simpler maps and unlock every item for everyone and go for melee kills ;)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Once you let the idiot masses in or, more correctly, when companies realise there's money to be made in gaming as long as you can make a wide mainstream audience purchace your games rather than just a niche few, then game design necessarily means that you have to cater to that ignorant, skill-less, idiot audience.

I think it's more us "geeks" that demand to much from our games so that they can't be niche if the company developing it wants to get the money back or make a profit.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I think it's more us "geeks" that demand to much from our games so that they can't be niche if the company developing it wants to get the money back or make a profit.

Rubbish. Demand too much?

Computer games wouldn't exist without geeks. And the niche market was profitable. However, when your large corporation can make you a billionaire, rather than a millionaire, why bother going after the niche market?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Exactly what ECA says, if you want a good FPS experience, apart from a couple - avoid console games.

Still things like Serious Sam, QL to play for all the hardcore peeps.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Rubbish. Demand too much?

Computer games wouldn't exist without geeks. And the niche market was profitable. However, when your large corporation can make you a billionaire, rather than a millionaire, why bother going after the niche market?

Yes it WAS profitable, back when developing a game didn't cost millions upon millions of dollars and the targeted market didn't consist of anything BUT geeks. But if only the geeks were listened to now it would cost to much to develop the games.

So while the geeks got the gaming market going it can't survive without the "mainstream" crowd.

And gaming geeks are notoriously demanding and unforgiving, we want a lot from our games and we want it yesterday. :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Again Ctuchik, that's rubbish.

If you want a massive spangly graphics-intensive game that blows you away with realistic depictions of blah, then yep, that'll cost. But is that what a real geek wants?

I want gameplay. Oodles of it. Great great gameplay. If it comes wrapped in something that looks like a 1980's arcade port then so be it - as long as it offers the best gameplay then I don't really give a stuff.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
The problem is the deep FPS games are hard to get into, or at least take time before you can compete.

People these days don't have the patience to get into something deep like Quake where you should expect to get your arse handed to you for a couple of months before you know what you're doing. To a lot of gamers that isn't acceptable any more.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Thats a problem solveable with a good matchmaking system.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
They're just doing it wrong, SC2 has a very good matchmaking system.

CS:GO allegedly is going in that kind of direction which should be interesting.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Again Ctuchik, that's rubbish.

If you want a massive spangly graphics-intensive game that blows you away with realistic depictions of blah, then yep, that'll cost. But is that what a real geek wants?

Thinking about it i honestly don't know.

Which made me realize that i can't tell you what a "geek" of today is either.

All i know is that it's not one of those zits ridden anti-social failures to humanity we had 20 years ago. :)

So we might want to figure out what a geek is now before we go on with this discussion. Otherwise this whole argument will be moot :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom