Help Fps 12+

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Can anyone suggest suitable modern FPS games that are 12+, one of my boys is keen to play games like CoD, but a bit young for 15+/18+ game. Can be for PC, PS3, PS2, PSP or Wii. TIA.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
If he's just making a start on FPS gaming, then start him off with something single player but good quality.

The Orange Box from Valve contains:
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Episode 1
Half-Life 2: Episode 2
Portal
Team Fortress 2

While it's rated 15 by the BBFC, I personally wouldn't have a problem with anyone over the age of 10-12 playing it. The only thing that you can't control is the online experience of TF2 when you're up against real people.

Once he's had a taste of that for a while, you can build him up to other games. It's all down to your assessment of the game's suitability for him. I bought Portal as a gift for my 10 yr old daughter in the recent Steam sale because it's essentially a puzzle game with FPS elements.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Portal is ok, but not a "shooter" as such, more a puzzle game, and the HL series is definitely too mature for my liking, I was hoping for something a bit tamer, which is difficult I know, that's why I'm asking for suggestions.

Example: the early Medal of Honor series was fairly bloodless and rated PEGI 12+.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Well team fortress 2 is quite child friendly. Are you looking for singleplayer or multiplayer mainly?

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Battlefield: Bad company?

Also if it doesn't have to be an FPS, Earth Defense Force 2017, think that'd be perfect for a kid to get started on.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
tbh the Team Fortress things are very cartoony, even if violentish. check out the "Meet the..." videos on Steam/the TF webby to see what I mean.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Well team fortress 2 is quite child friendly.

You can't be serious, you get body parts flying everywhere, sometimes humorously marked "part of you" in the death cam. It's "cartoon" I know, but so is Happy Tree Friends.

And it's PEGI 16+.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
whellp the fact that I am not a dad is shining through I guess :)

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
most FPSs are meant to be violent and so on, so, er , are you sure this is a wise move in view of whats available in general if your worried about it ?

im having a mental blank at the mo, only suggestion i can make tho, is try one of the space ones, like Unreal etc, if its human violence rather than actual violence your worried about ?

/edit

something like Jedi Knight? its not hte newest, but its star wars which is safe ish, and deviod of blood/limbs, etc

xane

Fledgling Freddie
something like Jedi Knight? its not hte newest, but its star wars which is safe ish, and deviod of blood/limbs, etc

I settled on Jedi Knight games, they're all 12+, and I managed to pick up the Jedi pack on Steam for £17, which includes Outcast, KOTOR, Academy and Republic Commando.

Unfortunately, due to a miscalculation, I've had to spend another £24 upgrading the video card, apparently the all-wise nVidia do not make Vista drivers for their cards that don't support directX 9, and the bog-standard Windows drivers don't do openGL, so I've just spent over £40 for a game written in 2002.

:eek6:

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
You do realise at 12 year old he's probably seen plenty of violence via googling etc already behind your back. I know thats got nothing to do with the game you wanted to pick but i remember my mum being like that when i was young and i ended up going on more of a mission to do things behind her back. With me it was more 18 horror movies

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom