Forum structure suggest

Steiny

Fledgling Freddie
Hello World!

Since we all know there's going to be some pretty hefty migration here soon, why don't we take this as a chance to start the forum approach from fresh? My recommendation would be simple - split it all up as little as possible. Perhaps even, just for the first two-three days after announcement, have just a single forum, and get people to /tell/ you what they want in the way of forums.

There are various advantages to this:
1) You don't fragment the community unecessarily into little bits.
2) You don't end up with silly groups like BF1942+all mods, when the Desert Combat community is large in its own right.

Otherwise, it is all looking totally spanking, and I'm actually really excited about this re-birth. Perhaps for the first time in years I'll actually play games with Barryfolks instead of just chatting to them!

Steiny

TedTheDog

Fred's & Barry's co-founder
We should certainly dump the unused forums.
But we should also recreate the DAOC forums, for instance, before the migration. If everyone migrates PDQ then a single forum would be swamped and unreadable within a day.
However, I get your drift, its nice to start again and let the community lead the way, rather than firing up forums in relation to games on a games service, which has no relevance here.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
TedTheDog said:
We should certainly dump the unused forums.
But we should also recreate the DAOC forums, for instance, before the migration. If everyone migrates PDQ then a single forum would be swamped and unreadable within a day.
However, I get your drift, its nice to start again and let the community lead the way, rather than firing up forums in relation to games on a games service, which has no relevance here.
I am giving Bif the ability to change the forums etc so feel free to punch him when it all goes horribly wrong!

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Deebs said:
I am giving Bif the ability to change the forums etc so feel free to punch him when it all goes horribly wrong!

Is he bigger than me? :p

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
How did I know you'd say that :D Aaahhhh, the Eric and Ernie of the boards :p

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Jupitus said:
How did I know you'd say that :D Aaahhhh, the Eric and Ernie of the boards :p
Read your private message as well ya git :kissit:

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
bigfoot said:
Gunna probably remove quite a few of the FPS ones.

Well I see a Planetside one and frankly the old PS forum is as empty as a eunuchs underpants....

bigfoot

Fledgling Freddie
Jupitus said:
Well I see a Planetside one and frankly the old PS forum is as empty as a eunuchs underpants....

Yeah I know a couple of the ones there probably will not be used, as it is I just picked the ones which were getting a few posts in December and that is probably less than half (in the case of the FPS and SnS ones)

Trebz

One of Freddy's beloved
Get rid of the damned RTS/RPG and Sport/Sim groupings, they have no logical sense. Split em up properly pleeeeease.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Been pondering this today and I think the best approach is to keep the main headings but drop all subforums. At the start of any migration we want the boards to seem active so diluting the effect through a series of sub forums would be a bad approach. Over time, depending on demand, we can add appropriate sub forums along the way but on the old boards right now how many people ignore the sub forums in favour of the more liquid general areas?

Discuss :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom