Formatting problem

Cynical

Fledgling Freddie
My pc has become full of crap and its in need of a format. When i bought my PC it came with a format recovery disc. Its a floppy disc. To format my pc i need to shut it down then put the floppy disc in then start the machine up. It starts to read the floppy and i then get the message "General failure reading drive A" abort/rety/fail? etc. Anyone know what i can do as my pc is in need of a format.

I bought the pc from PC World

Cynical

Fledgling Freddie
to give me for information: i dont have a XP cd as i didnt get one with the pc

JBP|

Part of the furniture
Take your pc back to PC World and ask them to format it for you ?

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
abort/retry/fail...maybe to power to the floppy isnt connected.*edit* sorry, ignore that

Tom

I am a FH squatter
1) get new floppy disc
2) format it
3) go into dos
4) type sys c: a:
5) copy format.exe and fdisk.com to the disc
6) format away.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Cynical

I'm not sure about the problem you're experiencing (perhaps make sure the floppy drive is configured correctly in the BIOS? (longshot)), but just a word of caution, if you format your hard-drive without a backup copy of Windows, you'll be in trouble :)

Does the disk you have contain any special utilities, such as the ability to restore an 'image' of Windows stored on a (perhaps hidden) partition on your hard drive? If in doubt, as JBP| says, contact PC World and see what's what. Just do not perform a normal hard-drive format without a) backing any important files b) having a copy of Windows to restore.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Kind Regards

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
TBH the first thing to think is, do you really need to format?

I have done a total format a few times, it is always a major pain in the ass, and only ever solves the problem in a sledgehammer/nut kind of a way.

If your PC is full of crap, then delete the crap!

Just recently I started having miscellaneous problems with my PC, not opening files correctly, not saving jpegs, PowerPoint not working with images, lots of small irritating problems. I tried deleting and reinstalling software to no avail. In the past I may have done a format here, but older and wiser I looked for a different answer.

In the end I discovered that if I created a different user on the PC then those same programs ran fine under the new user, but still wrong under the old one. There must have been changes that I had made that cumulatively had stopped stuff working properly.

So I just went with the new user, made sure that it was set up as I liked, connections etc. and deleted the old one.

By the way Windows has a little app that allows you to export a set of user prefernces and settings, don't use it as you may well be exporting the cause of the trouble :)

I don't know exactly what it is that has led you to decide on a format, but do think again. Even with a disc it is a pain, without one it could be a disaster.

Hope that helps

RB

Cynical

Fledgling Freddie
thanks for your responses. I've borrowed a friends external floppy disc drive to see if its my floppy disc drive. if not ill send off for a new recovery disc

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Does your floppy disk work in windows?

If you want to re-install windows, the best way is to do a fresh install which will need a WindowsXP CD.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Escape said:
If you want to re-install windows, the best way is to do a fresh install which will need a WindowsXP CD.

Cynical said:
to give me for information: i dont have a XP cd as i didnt get one with the pc

kinda screws up that option ;) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom